Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855511 times)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8160 on: October 13, 2021, 10:54:19 am
Bought a Continental GT 650👍
Got the bike I REALLY wanted but couldn't justify 2yrs ago, so Sun sold the Spyder and today bought a 2020 GT in CHROME with 1,400km and 21mths warranty - Happy Days, alongside the "stored" 2014 C5 which accidentally needs a potter every now and again 👍😀
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #8161 on: October 14, 2021, 01:04:30 pm
Congrats on the new bike.  How about some pictures so the rest of us can live vicariously?

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8162 on: October 15, 2021, 06:52:43 am
Will do - monies transferred and arrange to collect next week 👍
Should sit nicely with the MGA  and EVENTUALLY the Big Healey Era.... 
Loved building the trike, now gone, but looking forward to building the Tipo....
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #8163 on: October 16, 2021, 08:20:11 pm
Close, but no cigar. Didn't get to do anything to the Rumbler - but the tank sealer kit FINALLY made it through customs and then they sent it on a lame, blind, arthritic burro - but it arrived.  And I don't have time to play with it today.   :'( Or tomorrow.  :'( But we'll get 'er done as soon as we CAN get her done.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8164 on: October 18, 2021, 04:38:23 am
nice! congratulations.
can't wait to hear how you like it and how it compares to the chrome.

i am thinking the 650s 2
would provide a modern ride.

i really enjoy the classic chrome ride.  its
 more relaxed.  i purchased a dynojet pc5 to get more performance.  i find that it changes the characteristic of the chrome.
it try's to turn it into a hotter bike.  it doesn't seem right for some reason.

i am taking it off to get the relaxed ride of the chrome back.  leaving well enough alone.

it suits me better.

2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #8165 on: October 18, 2021, 09:37:38 am
Good for you, Silverback. The world is full of asphalt-shredding hotrods, but not many long stroke, heavy flywheel rides left out there.
There's something to be said for just chuffing along, enjoying the feel of the machinery working in it's slow cadence. A more human speed I think.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8166 on: October 18, 2021, 02:45:00 pm
nice! congratulations.
can't wait to hear how you like it and how it compares to the chrome.

i am thinking the 650s 2
would provide a modern ride.

i really enjoy the classic chrome ride.  its
 more relaxed.  i purchased a dynojet pc5 to get more performance.  i find that it changes the characteristic of the chrome.
it try's to turn it into a hotter bike.  it doesn't seem right for some reason.

i am taking it off to get the relaxed ride of the chrome back.  leaving well enough alone.

it suits me better.

When you only run the PowerCommander V, your settings are only an approximate tune. Use the AutoTune 200 to get your settings on target for your bike. Ask me if you have questions.
https://www.dynojet.com/autotune-power-commander-v-single-channel-kit-at-200/
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8167 on: October 18, 2021, 04:09:21 pm
When you only run the PowerCommander V, your settings are only an approximate tune. Use the AutoTune 200 to get your settings on target for your bike. Ask me if you have questions.
https://www.dynojet.com/autotune-power-commander-v-single-channel-kit-at-200/

Thanks but spending another 300.00 with more headaches is more than I want to invest. Plus I just want my kick start option back and not interested in trying to make this bike into something it's not.  It's a better choice for me to have the original characteristics back in use.  If I want the crotch rocket feel or close to it then i will look at the 650.
Cant wait to get the bike back to its comfortable ride.
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Dumbo

• Neophyte
Reply #8168 on: October 18, 2021, 05:39:56 pm
Took it on a trip to the Golan heights, to meet another brilliant and timeless british design piece.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8169 on: October 18, 2021, 08:06:27 pm
Took it on a trip to the Golan heights, to meet another brilliant and timeless british design piece.

Welcome to the forum! That's a different area than most of us ride in. That second pic reminds me of an old fashioned scarecrow - "Hang 'em high as a warning to the rest!".  :o
Paul

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8170 on: October 18, 2021, 08:15:49 pm
Saturday the KBS Tank Sealer kit arrived - and I'd NO time available to do anything with it other than open and make sure it was indeed what I'd ordered.  It took almost a month - but it got here.  So today being a holiday here I took part of the morning to seal off the sending unit and fuel pump holes, pour in the cleaner and give it a good shake down.  It wasn't too bad, I run an additive that seems to pick up the excess moisture and keeps things fairly clean inside.  After rocking and shaking it for quite a while, letting it sit at one angle or another (emphasis being on getting the area that was soldered well cleaned up) the cleaner fluid was dumped out, the tank rinsed, the directions consulted once more and the rust treatment dumped in after resealing everything.  More shaking, turning, propping, repeating until it had had plenty of time to etch the interior.  Pulled off the tape, dumped the contents into a tub then rinsed it well, and rinsed it again and then repeated the rinsing.  Once I got as much water out as possible I dropped a couple of rags in and shook them around to blot up as much water as possible. Then I broke out the heat gun and warmed it up inside and out for a while then tipped the tank over and watched through the fuel pump hole. Sure enough a bit of water ran down and I dropped a rag in to sop it up. More application of the heat gun until it was nice and warm to the touch and no hint of water anywhere inside.  It looks well etched and ready for the sealer - but it's a rainy day and they suggest NOT sealing during such weather.  So I'll probably heat it another time or two to make sure and drive all moisture out.  Hopefully we'll have better weather to seal it tomorrow.  Once we DO get it sealed it's at least four days before I can reassemble it and fuel her up again.  <sigh>  My one comfort is that we've had really lousy biking weather so at least I'm not wasting good riding weather by having her torn apart for the sealing job.
Paul

Dumbo

• Neophyte
Reply #8171 on: October 18, 2021, 10:06:34 pm

Welcome to the forum! That's a different area than most of us ride in. That second pic reminds me of an old fashioned scarecrow - "Hang 'em high as a warning to the rest!".  :o

Thanks mate!

This narrow country road is called the "Oil Road" underneath is a section of the Trans Arabian Pipeline, during the 1973 conflict this road saw some pertty horrffic fighting, thus the syrian jeep and the Israeli Centurion (as well of bunch of other littered armored vehicles left there surrounded by mine fields). The pipeline stopped transporting oil from Saudi Arabia to Lebanon in 1976 and Nowdays it is used to transport water from the Goaln Heights. 

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8172 on: October 19, 2021, 11:36:02 pm
Yesterday cleaned and "rust blasted" the tank for the Rumbler 500. Then dried it well and thoroughly, but waited until today to apply the sealer.  Taped up the various orifices and dumped in the sealer after mixing it thoroughly. Then I sat at my desk doing things I didn't need my hands for (watching some videos from Royal Enfield's channel) while continually turning the tank in my hands. Front to back, top to bottom, side to side, etc, etc, etc, etc... After about an hour I took it downstairs and opened up the fuel pump hole which was the most likely to allow drainage.  But it didn't.  It would appear it's on a high point in the tank, go figure.  Now, before taping it up and dumping in the sealer and such, FIRST I rubbed it all over with paste wax and left it on there nice and thick, then wrapped it in plastic kitchen wrap. So before opening up the pump hole I first cut the wrap, taped it all nicely with masking tape and THEN opened it up, exposing only the hole itself.  I taped the small hole first and then taped over the base plate. So when opening I removed the base plate tape, filled in the bolt holes with past wax and THEN opened it. Since it wouldn't pour out I held it on its side and used the paint brush they'd included in the tin (a cheapo made in China brush it looked like) to dip the paint out and scraped it so it would drip into the sealer container.  I continued on until It appeared that I'd sopped up as much as possible and was not leaving TOO much to fill in where the brush had rubbed against the tank.  Then I carefully wiped the small hole and reapplied tape to seal it off and rolled the tank around some more, making sure to give the area where I'd used the brush to sop up the paint a chance to recoat itself.  From the looks of the container it takes about 1/3 of the amount they include to properly coat the inside of the Rumbler's 5 gallon gas tank.  I went back up to the office and placed a spare chair next to my office chair and set the tank on it, then changed the angle every now and then.  I did this for another hour or so until I figured it had probably set up well, then pulled the tape off of the sending unit hole and the pump hole, leaving the filler hole taped. Looking inside it looked well coated, including the area where I'd sopped up the sealer. I set the tank up so that any sealer still in liquid for would run to the top front of the tank where if it DOES develop any pin holes they are unlikely to cause an issue due to lack of frequent contact with the gasoline. Then I set a fan to blow across the holes and hopefully speed up the drying process a bit.  After lunch I removed the plastic wrap and the tape on the filler hole and polished the tank up good. Then set the rubber grommets in and set it on the bike to continue curing for the next several days.  They say at least four, it'll probably be six at least before I have time to mess with it again.

After getting the tank polished and temporarily placed back on the bike I grabbed a syringe and drained the brake fluid from the reservoirs, front and back, and refilled with fresh.  Didn't have a wrench down there to properly bleed the brakes, but it's at least got fresh fluid for now. Need to take a wrench down and finish the job.
Paul

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8173 on: October 23, 2021, 08:04:00 pm
Today was the day to start starting to finish the gas tank project.  So I grabbed the sending unit, inserted the bolts and snugged it into place.  Next was the fuel pump/filter unit.  Slapped it into place, used thumb pressure to seat the cap screws and as I tightened down the first one with a wrench it hit me - I had NOT checked for the presence of the o-ring seal.  It's been a month since I pulled it apart and couldn't remember for sure how it was set up, just that I'd not confirmed its presence.  Well, thankfully I DID think to look before installing and filling with fuel. It was notable by its absence once the cap screws came out.  Somehow it'd fallen off the shelf where I'd set everything to wait for the time to reinstall.  OK. Placed the o-ring into the gap set for it, THEN installed the pump/filter and THEN screwed down the cap screws and tightened them up. Then moved on to the decorative boss around the fill cap.  Polished it up with a bit of wax and then refitted it, tightening down the three screws that hold it in place.  Next up was to slip the drain hoses onto their nipples under the tank, reconnect the cables to the sending unit and fuel pump, reconnect the fuel line, tighten down the bolts that hold the tank on.  And there she sets, no gas and the tank lid still off.  They say to let it set four days at least, but since I don't have time to go out and ride today it'll sit there until Monday at least. So we'll let it set and finish curing if any curing needs to still be cured.

Before doing all the above, I grabbed the battery off the shelf where I'd set it after pulling the battery and the tank off the bike a month ago.  Popped on the leads to the charger and plugged it in then tapped the button to choose the 2 Amp charge rate.  In less than a minute it slipped into maintenance mode. That's good to know, didn't lose any charge for all intents and purposes.  I set it back on the shelf and it'll sit there until I'm ready to pour in the fuel and crank her over.

Also took time to rub down the tank and fenders with a bit of wax and she's looking half way decent in spite of the rest of the bike being a bit dusty.  Looking forward to getting a chance to head out and ride again.  It's been good to be able to do some errands on my wife's little Honda Wave 110 scooter, but ripping around town on that isn't quite the same (huge understatement) as riding the Rumbler 500.
Paul

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8174 on: October 24, 2021, 10:49:11 am
Congrats on the new bike.  How about some pictures so the rest of us can live vicariously?

Posted on the 650 forum under 1st impressions, and nearly stacked it within 1km of picking up! Mothers, Pram's,  crossing against the lights and not looking.....
All good, clutch heavier than C5, and not as quick as I expected but at 1,400km probably still tight - but JEEZ the LOOKS...👍😀 came with lots of bits inc solo seat, reckon P.O bought whatever the dealer suggested🤔
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid