Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855400 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8115 on: September 07, 2021, 05:40:47 pm
Key ON. No GO.r
All lights working, but no MIL CODE, no Fuel Pump, no Starter.
Determined no power to Power Relay. Checked power to RH Switch Module. No Power. Performed Wiggle Check of Harness and Switch wiring. No Power. Disconnected Module and checked wiring on Switch Side and Harness side. BINGO! Found Brown wire broken at the first bend in the Harness side. Repaired and had a very enjoyable ride through the Jemez Range the next day.
My bad. When I went through the Harness and upgraded all the shit splices from the factory I left the RH side at the front a touch too tight, thus the broken wire due to stress every time I made a tight LH turn.
Tip: If undoing the Harness for any reason, and after verifying all connections and function(s), turn the Casquette ALL the way to the opposite side before securing the Harness. This will ensure enough slack to avoid suddenly having to troubleshoot in the middle of nowhere.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8116 on: September 10, 2021, 06:30:06 pm
I finally installed the Hitchcock head stay as a precautionary measure
  It actually slightly reduced vibrations in handlebars. 

Ultimately,  I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Hitchcocks stay is super stout.

I have an extra one if someone wants it. I originally thought you needed two of them.

2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8117 on: September 11, 2021, 05:40:55 am
today i put visors on turn signals.  i like the looks.

tomorrow clean the chain and bike. then a nice ride.   really enjoying this bike more and more.  i was going to look at 535 upgrade.  The more i ride it the more I feel its good to go for now. I am just enjoying the ride.

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8118 on: September 11, 2021, 09:03:19 am
Today I took my final ride on the now sold Classic 350. Five years and 33,000kms of enjoyable commuting and camping trips have passed under its tires.

The new owner lives in another city so after one mountain range, two downpours and 90 minutes of strong head winds, I handed the bike over. One of my sons drove over as well to transport a number of spare parts specific to the 350 that were part of the sale, and to give me a lift home.

The bike's new custodian is enthusiastic about using it as much as possible, and messaged me only an hour after we left, having just returned from the first ride :)

2021 Classic 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8119 on: September 11, 2021, 02:00:31 pm
Today (well actually yesterday) I replaced a slightly warped brake disc on my 2011 Bullet at 8K miles. Not an easy task as the six securing screws are a real bitch to remove.  Better have six new ones on hand before starting the job.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8120 on: September 16, 2021, 03:00:53 am
I was having trouble with proper foot placement and engaging heel portion of heel toe shifter.

I flipped it upside down and flattened out the bends.

Now I have ample room for my boots and easy reliable heel shifting.

Added bonus!  What was once heel pad know makes great front down shift pad.  I dont have to contort my foot to get proper down shift.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #8121 on: September 20, 2021, 10:10:33 pm
Drained the tank, pulled the fuel gauge float and fuel filter/pump unit out. Cleaned it all up and reinstalled.  Put on fresh fuel hose to the breathers (I THINK that's what those two down spouts in the middle of the tank are) and replaced the vacuum hose from the whatchamacallit to the fuel injector intake. Dumped the gasoline back in - then siphoned it out again.  Turns out it WASN'T a leaking gasket, apparently I've got a leak along the seam at the rear end of the tank on the left side. 

Called Royal Enfield dealer, no tanks available.  <sigh> Will need to strip it down, see where it's leaking from exactly and then have it soldered up - unless using silver solder would fix it.  I don't know how ethanol laced gasoline reacts to silver solder though...
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8122 on: September 20, 2021, 10:42:15 pm
Drained the tank, pulled the fuel gauge float and fuel filter/pump unit out. Cleaned it all up and reinstalled.  Put on fresh fuel hose to the breathers (I THINK that's what those two down spouts in the middle of the tank are) and replaced the vacuum hose from the whatchamacallit to the fuel injector intake. Dumped the gasoline back in - then siphoned it out again.  Turns out it WASN'T a leaking gasket, apparently I've got a leak along the seam at the rear end of the tank on the left side. 

Called Royal Enfield dealer, no tanks available.  <sigh> Will need to strip it down, see where it's leaking from exactly and then have it soldered up - unless using silver solder would fix it.  I don't know how ethanol laced gasoline reacts to silver solder though...

There must be some kind of magic sealant that's resistant to petrol/ethanol? I wouldn't be surprised if a local DIY store or similar had a product that would suffice.

For me, I've parked it up, taken it off the road (not off roading lol). I've recently discovered the amount of anxiety my riding of a M/C causes and life's hard enough as it is so I don't need to add to their woes.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8123 on: September 20, 2021, 11:08:02 pm
There must be some kind of magic sealant that's resistant to petrol/ethanol? I wouldn't be surprised if a local DIY store or similar had a product that would suffice.

For me, I've parked it up, taken it off the road (not off roading lol). I've recently discovered the amount of anxiety my riding of a M/C causes and life's hard enough as it is so I don't need to add to their woes.

I've never seen any of that here in Coffee Country.  Things are still pretty much "old school" when it comes to repairs.  I see the fancy stuff folks do up north, but trying to get the stuff here is not very easy, to say the least.  There used to be an epoxy or some such up there that folks would dump in and seal the inside of the tank with (and often mess up their fuel outlet in the process) Can't remember what it was called, but haven't found anything even remotely similar here. 

While cogitating on what to do to fix the issue I'm also thinking about what other tweaks to do while the bike is "down", without getting too wild.  My rear fender has started to split, presumably from being work hardened in the factory and then vibrated via RE's glorious British Single UCE engine.

Wow! Sorry to hear folks are so wound up about riding.  It is definitely a "wide awake" experience if you want to survive, you've gotta keep your eyes on all the other folks as they are sure not looking out for YOU.  I believe I've quite a few more years to ride before I won't trust my reflexes anymore.  Unless my glaucoma shuts me down for lack of ability to see clearly before that stage is reached. 
Paul

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8124 on: September 20, 2021, 11:29:57 pm

Well, well, well... there's an outfit that would bring it in.  POR 15 - never heard of it before.  Roughly $35 for a half pint of the stuff... don't know if that'd be enough to do the Rumbler's 5 gallon tank or not.  Must do more research.
Paul

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #8125 on: September 21, 2021, 06:18:13 am
POR fuel tank sealer is a good product, and I understand it is resistant to the new Ethanol blended fuels.

This kit comes with a cleaner, an etching liquid and then the sealer. There is also a patch and brush for external application if required. Important to closely follow instructions, and the sealer takes 96 hours to cure.

There are a few videos on line with people going through the process.

2021 Classic 500

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8126 on: September 21, 2021, 06:42:36 am
i purchased the Royal Enfield 4 Trials Classic Enfield Large Aluminum Sump Guard to gain as much coverage as i

could.  i have a lot of roads with gravel and loose stones in the area.

i recently decided to put my engine guard back on and had to modify the sump guard to install again.

A little angle grinder cutting, Dremel and patience.   now its as easy to install and remove as it originally was.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8127 on: September 21, 2021, 02:40:00 pm
Well, well, well... there's an outfit that would bring it in.  POR 15 - never heard of it before.  Roughly $35 for a half pint of the stuff... don't know if that'd be enough to do the Rumbler's 5 gallon tank or not.  Must do more research.

Find an automotive radiator shop. They can clean and seal your fuel tank. Or, do it yourself, experimentally.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8128 on: September 21, 2021, 03:15:05 pm
POR fuel tank sealer is a good product, and I understand it is resistant to the new Ethanol blended fuels.

This kit comes with a cleaner, an etching liquid and then the sealer. There is also a patch and brush for external application if required. Important to closely follow instructions, and the sealer takes 96 hours to cure.

There are a few videos on line with people going through the process.

Thanks, I spent a lot of time looking at various videos last night.  The folks that bring in the POR-15 only bring in the sealer itself, not the kit.  One can do the job with other products I'm sure, but I'd like to do it with products designed to work together.  Poking around I came across KBS tank sealer.  And that comes in a kit that they are importing (for twice the US cost).  I'm going to talk to my local RE dealer and see if they have any kind of fix in the system (ie: working with some tank sealer brand) which might give me a better deal, otherwise I'll pull the trigger on the kit I found last night.  Also am going to start a thread on this repair. It should prove interesting to folks who'd like to see other models (ones not imported to the US) and compare them with what y'all have up there.
Paul

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8129 on: September 21, 2021, 09:03:31 pm

Wow! Sorry to hear folks are so wound up about riding.  It is definitely a "wide awake" experience if you want to survive, you've gotta keep your eyes on all the other folks as they are sure not looking out for YOU.  I believe I've quite a few more years to ride before I won't trust my reflexes anymore.  Unless my glaucoma shuts me down for lack of ability to see clearly before that stage is reached.

It's not my reflexes that are at issue :), it's the everyone else on the road issue  :-\

Ahh, POR-15, I've never used it but heard of it. I'm not sure where, either on here, or some vehicle restoration website/tv programme for the paint I think.

From the website https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-fuel-car-bike-motorcycle-tank-repair-sealer-236ml/ it can be used with fuels containing ethanol.

8oz should do you if you get this particular product I think.

3 sizes available:

– 8oz (236ml) will seal a 4-1/2 US Gallon tank (17 litres, 3-3/4 UK gallons)

– US Pint (473ml) will seal a 9 US Gallon tank (34 litres, 7-1/2 UK gallons)

– US Quart (946ml) will seal a 18 US Gallon tank (68 litres, 15 UK gallons)