Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855531 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8085 on: August 03, 2021, 02:57:29 pm
AmBraCol - I had a C5 and the post location was too close to grounding. I got another AGM with the posts facing outboard.  To get the length of the power cables I extended them.
  I went to the auto parts store. I bought some automotive battery cable, (huge). And, I got some large end of cable, post connectors. I spliced them together and connected to the outboard side of the connectors. Would that help?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #8086 on: August 03, 2021, 03:18:24 pm
AmBraCol - I had a C5 and the post location was too close to grounding. I got another AGM with the posts facing outboard.  To get the length of the power cables I extended them.
  I went to the auto parts store. I bought some automotive battery cable, (huge). And, I got some large end of cable, post connectors. I spliced them together and connected to the outboard side of the connectors. Would that help?

Thanks!  There's no way I could connect anything from on top.  Too close, like you say.  But the Kontrol battery has the posts set up allow connections from the front.  This is different from the Motobatt, which had the connections on top, but recessed into the top.  I had to reshape the existing connectors, but am good to go. I did extend a cable used for my charger outlet, but the factory cables are still fine for the current battery.  I'll be watching them for signs of excessive vibration and breakage, but don't anticipate there being any issues. Thanks!
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8087 on: August 03, 2021, 03:29:46 pm
Thanks!  There's no way I could connect anything from on top.  Too close, like you say.  But the Kontrol battery has the posts set up allow connections from the front.  This is different from the Motobatt, which had the connections on top, but recessed into the top.  I had to reshape the existing connectors, but am good to go. I did extend a cable used for my charger outlet, but the factory cables are still fine for the current battery.  I'll be watching them for signs of excessive vibration and breakage, but don't anticipate there being any issues. Thanks!

Good to know!
Here's some pix showing my mod. I used dielectric grease on the connection.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 03:32:17 pm by Guaire »

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #8088 on: August 03, 2021, 07:12:28 pm
Will work on that fuel light soon AmBraCol! Meanwhile...

Blew my throttle body off the engine on my way home from work, by stalling with a backfire leaving parking lot!  :o

It had been running a bit badly for a while, like it had a vacuum leak, rough, with erratic idle, hard starting...  ???

Bike ran real funny for a few moments after explosion,  :P but then got better. I carefully proceeded the rest of the way home where I found the throttlebody just hanging by its cables in front of intake tube!!!  :o

Upon reinstallation, I noticed the tube clamp screw was loose, and the cause of my situation!  ::)

Bike is now "made like a gun" again! Idles great, snappy throttle response, and smooth!  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8089 on: August 11, 2021, 09:11:38 pm
added a farkle (extra seat) over the weekend.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8090 on: August 11, 2021, 09:14:39 pm

8)

A bit of gentlemanly pootling round the lanes though and some youthful exuberance WOT for when they opened up a bit gave room for some soul searching.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #8091 on: August 13, 2021, 12:27:56 am
Today I completed my 3000km service. Everything went well except for the air filter. The filter was glued to the round metal plate! I was really struggling to get it off and was worried I would bend the plate, but found I could squeeze the old filter tearing it as I worked my way round. This left a ring of orange plastic stuck to the plate. After a lot of scraping and finally some sanding I had a smooth surface.

The old filter was surprisingly dirty considering I ride on paved road.

What was the thinking of the person who did this? It had to be glued at the factory or by the dealer at the first service. Maybe they thought it was a forever filter.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8092 on: August 13, 2021, 01:05:36 am
Today I completed my 3000km service. Everything went well except for the air filter. The filter was glued to the round metal plate! I was really struggling to get it off and was worried I would bend the plate, but found I could squeeze the old filter tearing it as I worked my way round. This left a ring of orange plastic stuck to the plate. After a lot of scraping and finally some sanding I had a smooth surface.

The old filter was surprisingly dirty considering I ride on paved road.

What was the thinking of the person who did this? It had to be glued at the factory or by the dealer at the first service. Maybe they thought it was a forever filter.

I have found on my bike that a new filter is difficult to install in the airbox. It tends to fall out of position as I try to install the box cover. It is likely that either the dealer or the factory glued the filter on to the plate in order to make it easier to install the cover without the filter moving out of position.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8093 on: August 13, 2021, 01:42:28 am
I put a cheap windscreen on today. I won't get a chance to test it until tomorrow.   The universal windscreen that came on the bike blasted my face with wind.  We'll see
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

ozpacman

• Scooter
Reply #8094 on: August 13, 2021, 04:38:57 am
I did a few jobs on the Bullet this week. Fitted the Hitchcock's silencer and was quite surprised how 'sporty' she sounds. I may have to consider fitting a small baffle in the end, but will run it as is for a little while first. It may be that I'm just used to the standard silencer being so quiet. I had to fab up a bracket for it though as the supplied one seemed to be more suited to a Classic 500. Pretty straight forward job though.

Also replaced four broken spokes in the rear wheel that I discovered last ride, and attended to a leaking fork seal in the front. Did the fork job on Tuesday whilst our area was in Covid-19 lockdown so I wasn't able to get fork oil. Had a big bottle of good old ATF on the shelf in the shed, so that's what she got. Rides nice though I must say.

Gave her a good bath this morning and she came up like new. All in all a very enjoyable week fettling the Bullet, as well as some jobs and maintenance on a couple of my other bikes.
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, 2017 Royal Enfield B5 Bullet 500, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2000 H-D Road King, 2005 H-D Lowrider, 2003 Suzuki SV1000, 2003 Aprilia SL1000R, 1977 Honda CB750K7, plus a handful of other ones that I can't afford to have registered!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8095 on: August 13, 2021, 02:29:26 pm
 "like it had a vacuum leak,"

That would make it run lean. As usual, one problem leads to another one.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8096 on: August 19, 2021, 03:09:20 am
I thought it would be cool to add a Brass heel toe shifter.   Dont its POS.  Broker first install.   Lol.... ordered from Hitchcock.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8097 on: August 19, 2021, 04:28:45 am
To be correct the brass one was from Ebay.  Order next one from Hitchcock.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #8098 on: August 20, 2021, 05:29:23 pm
Squirted CRC penetrant into front brake lever!  ::)

My front brake lever had been getting harder and harder to pull which I assumed (not having experienced this before) had to be the caliper hanging up.  ???

Eventually, I got to pulling the caliper for a service, which it was probably due for, but it wasn't too bad, and after a good cleaning and lubeing the problem was still there.  :P

I kept wondering if there was some mysterious thing that could be the cause, like a collapsed brake line, or master cylinder failure that was so rare no one but me had ever had it happen to them?  ::)

Finally, I walked out to Bholenath at lunch with the CRC can, hosed down the lever for few seconds and my brakes were just like new again!  :)

No more scrunching ratchety feeling, just nice smooth brakes. Once again demonstrating that the most simple and obvious thing is almost always the problem!  ;)  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #8099 on: August 21, 2021, 06:23:13 pm
My 13 year old son and I pulled and inspected the sparkplug in the Classic 500.  More of a teaching opportunity than required maintenance. After a proper cleaning, gap check, installation and general education of what it does and how it works, he had the honor of firing it up on the first kick.  A satisfying day between father and son.