Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855361 times)

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7815 on: August 24, 2019, 08:30:10 am
430 is for the gt. I did say don't go by the specs, but further into the manual on changing the fork oil, it has the right amount for the straight leg fork at 195ml.
Don't think there is even room for 430ml unless you add both legs together
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:32:19 am by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #7816 on: August 24, 2019, 10:18:28 am
I would really appreciate if you could send me the file.

I have a 2013 C5 so the 2014 file would probably be perfect!
Would much apreciate if you could email me a copy for my 2014 c5. Thanks
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7817 on: August 24, 2019, 03:01:01 pm
Interestingly, the (Copyright 2009) UCE manual calls for 195cc on the C5... but the (Updated on December 2010) EFI calls for 265cc + 2.5cc for C5.  Those should both be the leading axle fork!  If either one was correct for the leading axle fork, could the same be true of the center axle fork?   ???

As others have found, the 2017 Euro IV manual calls for 430ml for the C5 under "Periodical Maintenance" Page-05, then on Page-82, under "Fork Oil Filling" it says 195ml for the C5. That is a center axle fork, and probably is the same as my 2015...but then again, who knows?  ???

If you still have that 2014 link Haggis, could you also send it to me? I don't know if you can access my email address directly, but a PM will work fine. At least that would be the closest reference to my 2015 C5.  Ideally, I would order a 2014 hard copy (since there is no 2015 version) of the manual but that probably doesn't exist, because after all... only someone who likes old school stuff (like an Enfield) would want one of those!  ;D

As I stated in an earlier post, the new Haynes manual says just to put back the same amount that comes out... and on that subject, what about the quantity that the factory puts in?!  :o Is that ever even close to correct, or is there ever anything close to the same amount in each side?  ??? They don't seem to give a f*ck when they build these things,  :o why is it so critical to be correct now?  ???  Of course, I want to do the best for my Bholenath, but it didn't seem to matter much to the factory.

From other research I have been doing, I believe there is no really true absolute amount of oil one should have.  I think the factory recommended amount should be a good average, but that you may choose to have a little more or less to suit your purposes, (or due to being unable to find the one correct answer!). This is a very interesting, and somewhat amusing subject. It will be interesting to see what becomes of my 265cc 2015 fork seals over the next few months (at least), as I won't be able to get back to them before Winter.  Once again, over 400 miles since putting the 265cc of Motul 15W in and all is well... so far!  ;)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7818 on: August 24, 2019, 10:55:37 pm
As you say, page 82 in the euro4 manual,  Front Fork Oil
Filling
 Fill Fork oil 195 ml/leg
(For Bullet & Classic
Models) and 430 ml/leg
(For Conti-GT Model)
with 2W 35 Grade.
Putting extra in decreases the air volume above the oil but because it's a smaller capacity the air pressure will rise higher for a given compression. This can be useful for stopping your forks from bottoming out and firming up the max compression. To much pressure is what blows the seals.
I wouldn't loose any sleep about having a little extra in there and it feels ok.
Off route, recalculate?

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7819 on: August 27, 2019, 02:45:23 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that fork oil quantity changed when RE went from leading axle to central axle design.

It has occurred to me since that they probably just moved the axle...maybe tweaked the triple tree and fork length, but it's still the same Bullet...why change the oil quantity to move an axle?  ???

Whatever is going on with the various listed oil capacities for the C5, may not have had anything to do with a fork design change...
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #7820 on: August 27, 2019, 07:25:54 pm
Reading the two previous posts one has used the recommended fork oil,2w,and the other has used 15w. What do the experts on the forum think is the best viscosity oil to use.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7821 on: August 27, 2019, 08:03:24 pm
I'm pretty sure I used 10W last time round. It's on here somewhere and I'll have to check my logs for the amount I used.

Anyway, yesterday (late again lol) went on a nice 60 mile ride in the sun just for ice cream.

Glad of the air cooled motor not having fans blow hot air all over me like the others hahaha.

Only downside was that following some back issue did not help my hip any when changing gear :(

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7822 on: August 27, 2019, 10:25:40 pm
Reading the two previous posts one has used the recommended fork oil,2w,and the other has used 15w. What do the experts on the forum think is the best viscosity oil to use.

I used 10wt oil Belray fork oil in the forks of my B-5. Seems to work OK.  Personally, I am not a fan of using motor oil in the forks as RE recommends.  I am pretty sure that motor oil has stuff in it that forks really don't need.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7823 on: August 27, 2019, 10:52:02 pm
Changing fork oil is definitely on my to-do list, so am keeping an eye and making notes from all your experiences!

Today, however, I did enough. Overhaul of both front (disc) and rear (drum) brakes. This includes the rear centralising mod, often references in previous discussions. What a difference.

Whilst bleeding the front brake - my first time ever doing so - I was initially worried that I didn't recognise the components in the master cylinder... Then I was baffled to realise that the previous person do the job had put the rubber cover in inside out! Didn't seem to affect the brake during the last few thousand miles I've owned her, but goes without saying that I corrected that oversight when I put it all back together!

Also replaced my HT lead and cap - part of attempting to find a solution to the rough running I've mentioned in a separate discussion. Seemed to be working well so far, on the short little blast I did to test it all out. I've gone for a Bp5es plug, figuring that since I've put on a resistor cap, there's no need for a resistor plug, right?

Also gave her a nice oil change - one sliver of metal on the magnet, but nothing to worry about (I hope!!!). Frustratingly, the oil change kit from Hitchcock's came without two of the rubber o-rings which were due a change - the oil filler cap, and the mesh cap. They're on their way now.

Changed a defective fuel level switch, too. Though I don't really pay much attention to it anyway - more of a make-a-note-of-mileage kind of guy!

After putting her all back together, and giving her a thorough inspection before taking her out for a test ride, I noticed that somehow, whilst spending so much time around the wheels doing the brakes, I'd failed to noticed a bent spoke on the rear wheel! Damnit.

Take it off again, and take it to the only spoke-wheel place I know of in Cardiff... Only for them to tell me that they don't do motorcycle wheels anymore! Couldn't recommend anyone nearby either, would've had to take/send it bloody miles away.
Lucky for me, once the boss walked away, one of the guys came over - he's a biker himself, and wanted a look. Turns out it was enough just to tap the bent one with a hammer, and retighten the spokes, which he did there and then! I'm relatively new to biking, and I still find the fraternity spirit incredible.

Whilst refitting the wheel, noticed a small gouge in the tyre... FFS.
Maybe it's time for those K70's I've been considering... Or any other suggestions for tyres?

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #7824 on: August 28, 2019, 08:21:38 am
Maybe it's time for those K70's I've been considering... Or any other suggestions for tyres?
Have you considered Avon Roadriders [AM26]?
They are standard on the Electra efi. I'm not good enough to test them to their full potential but they are a very popular choice.
Frank

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7825 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:56 pm
Have you considered Avon Roadriders [AM26]?
They are standard on the Electra efi. I'm not good enough to test them to their full potential but they are a very popular choice.
Frank

Hey Frank,

I'm considering quite a few options - Roadriders, Mitas H02, K70's... All have had good reviews on these boards. Would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison, but it's mainly going to be a juggle between wallet and aesthetics - unless someone wants to raise a safety issue, which will trump both the other considerations!

Wrc323

• Scooter
Reply #7826 on: September 01, 2019, 04:04:26 am
Been a while since I've been on here. My fuel tank developed a slow leak that was traced to the rear bracket. Rather than getting it repaired I thought it would probably be quicker and cost not much more getting a new tank considering it would need to be drained of fuel, cleaned, welded, painted, etc. So I put an order in at my local RE dealer and a week or so later got the call that it was in. So I popped down for them to install and went for a coffee. Only to get a call that they can't fit it due to the wrong year model being supplied. So they go about ordering the correct one. Well that ended up being a 5 month saga of back and forth, photos of my tank supplied, pics from the RE catalogue sent to me asking if it was the correct one, tank being on back order, etc.

I got the good call during the week saying that it arrived so booked it in and had it installed yesterday, along with a pillion seat.

So after the install I wend for a nice ride along the beach. I'll be looking forward to some longer rides now the warmer weather is coming. I think I might get a rear rack to swap the seat out for some camping trips too.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7827 on: September 01, 2019, 04:14:42 am
First, why is this question here and not showing up for everyone? Second, I installed my rear rack on the Interceptor and went for a ride. ;)

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #7828 on: September 01, 2019, 04:32:44 am
Been a while since I've been on here. My fuel tank developed a slow leak that was traced to the rear bracket. Rather than getting it repaired I thought it would probably be quicker and cost not much more getting a new tank considering it would need to be drained of fuel, cleaned, welded, painted, etc. So I put an order in at my local RE dealer and a week or so later got the call that it was in. So I popped down for them to install and went for a coffee. Only to get a call that they can't fit it due to the wrong year model being supplied. So they go about ordering the correct one. Well that ended up being a 5 month saga of back and forth, photos of my tank supplied, pics from the RE catalogue sent to me asking if it was the correct one, tank being on back order, etc.

I got the good call during the week saying that it arrived so booked it in and had it installed yesterday, along with a pillion seat.

So after the install I wend for a nice ride along the beach. I'll be looking forward to some longer rides now the warmer weather is coming. I think I might get a rear rack to swap the seat out for some camping trips too.

The rear brackets have always been an issue. I would recommend adding some shims or a thicker head steady bracket. That way when the rear mounting bolt is tightened up (with an impact) it won't tweak the tabs. It happened twice on my G5 before I said WTF, after the mod it never happened again.
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7829 on: September 04, 2019, 02:00:18 pm
Ergyd, just remembered I was going to look at my service history for you.

I used Morris 10W for oil, 180ml each leg for my 2012 B5.