Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855285 times)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7545 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:11 pm
Another gorgeous day here in Perth (Western Australia) at 28'c despite supposed to be winter ! so my wife & I did a 100km round trip for Coffee and a Roll (sandwich) - cruised at (indicated) 80kmh on twisty country roads. Also fired up the Guzzi engine in the "reverse" trike I am building - first run since shipped from u.k 18mths ago - all good once I realised that one carb was on back to front - don't assume that just because the carbs have the air filters attached from supplier that is they way they go - amazing how much petrol can P**S out of a Guzzi exhaust manifold ! >:(
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7546 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04:51 pm
Another gorgeous day here in Perth (Western Australia) at 28'c despite supposed to be winter ! so my wife & I did a 100km round trip for Coffee and a Roll (sandwich) - cruised at (indicated) 80kmh on twisty country roads. Also fired up the Guzzi engine in the "reverse" trike I am building - first run since shipped from u.k 18mths ago - all good once I realised that one carb was on back to front - don't assume that just because the carbs have the air filters attached from supplier that is they way they go - amazing how much petrol can P**S out of a Guzzi exhaust manifold ! >:(

That brought a chuckle.   ;D  It's good to know others trust assemblers as well.   :o  It makes you wonder if it was produced on a Monday or a Friday...
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7547 on: May 25, 2018, 01:15:04 pm
Prepped My B5 for its annual MOT.
 the front brake was sticking a bit so stripped and cleaned the sliding pins. polished the chrome and alloy parts checked oil level, horn, lights, exhaust for leaks, tyres and wheel alignment all seems good.
fingers crossed for a pass later today.....
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7548 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:44 pm
Well, actually, it was yesterday but I installed my new EBC front brake pads.

It took about 2 miles of riding, applying the front brake often before the pads finally started to give me full stopping power but now that they have finally worn in a bit everything is back to normal. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7549 on: May 25, 2018, 10:38:59 pm
B5 passed the annual test, although headlight aim was high due to the Avon fairing.
a couple of tweaks at the testing station and the level was back in spec.
good for another year, hope to get a lot more miles out of the bike this coming year!
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7550 on: May 26, 2018, 12:56:53 am
cleaned it up and put it up for sale. that new release pegusus model really appeals to me and if I can move this bike- I will take one
units arrive here in oz in mid july and taking orders

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7551 on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:54 pm
cleaned it up and put it up for sale.

wildbill, haven't you saturated your local market yet?  ;)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7552 on: May 26, 2018, 01:43:16 pm
Easy on the guy, Matt. He's probably the best marketing tool RE has in Oz.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7553 on: May 26, 2018, 06:14:05 pm
Easy on the guy, Matt. He's probably the best marketing tool RE has in Oz.  ;)

Of course he is!  Don't get me wrong, I'm just worried that eventually he'll have trouble finding buyers...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7554 on: May 26, 2018, 09:10:05 pm
wildbill may as well become a dealership lol.

In other news though, tensioned the chain and lubed it. Re-fitted (again) the screen. Now that I've got the new handlebars I figured it was worth a shot seeing if it was better, worse or about the same.

Well it was a blustery day indeed so as good a test as any. Most flys killed were just above the visor and only a slight whistle so must be about right. A lot of wind noise but it was very windy. And I couldn't get my ear plugs in properly today so that didn't help.

So far so good.

Also congrats on the pass johno :)

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7555 on: May 27, 2018, 01:38:08 am
Finally replaced the battery ---Rode to our Saturday motorcycle meet, gassed up and added seafoam.  Any info on seafoam appreciated,  never used before always used stabil.  Approaching 15,000 miles and run's like new.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7556 on: May 27, 2018, 01:42:41 am
Finally replaced the battery ---Rode to our Saturday motorcycle meet, gassed up and added seafoam.  Any info on seafoam appreciated,  never used before always used stabil.  Approaching 15,000 miles and run's like new.

I've never used Seafoam long term, but when up stateside I run it in whatever vehicle we pick up while there.  Wish it were available here.  It really seemed to help the last vehicle we used it in, improved mileage, guessing due to previously dirty injectors.  It was a Toyota Solara with almost a quarter million miles on it.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7557 on: May 27, 2018, 04:29:37 am
After changing the R10W trafficator bulbs to SBL's 1156 LEDs along with SBL's 194 indicator bulb and a 3-lug flasher relay (2-lug didn't work, a ground was needed), the trafficators worked great but as I expected the indicator was too dim due to inadequate current through the "off-side" LEDs.  I read about the diodes and other surgery in the casquette but that space is crowded and intricate enough already, especially since I was going to put the hazard flasher components in the rear "doghouse".

I really didn't want to add load resistors but to obtain LED brightness benefits with minimal wiring impact, there wasn't a simpler choice.  With a half-page of calculations (let me know if you are interested) I determined 40ohm 6watt resistors were needed.  Not exactly leaping off the shelf even in San Diego.  So I checked SBL and there was a good-enough 25ohm 25watt resistor (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/led-marker-lamp-load-resistor-kit-sidemarker-led-light-hyperflashing-warning-fix/191/.)  Indicator now operates at full brightness.  I will try returning to 2-lug flasher relay.  I'll provide pictures when the hazard flasher is installed.

I originally used Cool White 1156 LEDs but they washed out the trafficator Amber lenses so changed to Amber LEDs (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-27-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit/2622/#/attributes/16).  The 27 SMD bulbs touch the lenses so I'm using extra o-rings now to extend the lenses and will change to longer lenses soon.  I'm pleased with the excellent lighting performance of this LED upgrade.

Also installed a bracket for the HelpMe Call switch.  Details in future topic.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7558 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:24 pm
Paid for the road tax so my B5 is now road legal.
Unfortunatley I didn't get my works secure parking pass changed from my Goldwing to the Bullet last week (only allowed 2 bikes on it). So won't be riding the B5 on my 100 mile each way commute until next week.....
The weather is perfect as well, oh well, the Deauville will have to do for this week ;)
2012 B5 Bullet

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7559 on: June 04, 2018, 12:19:22 am
SOLD IT!