Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855340 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7155 on: August 24, 2017, 02:30:02 am
Rode about 375 Washington back country miles with Ice, Bill Harris, 13 Boxes, Josh, and Steve, to meet up with Ducatti Scotty for some Portland hospitality last Saturday. That was a truly great ride! 8)

Ordered an AGM from Baker REFW parts (only $65.00) on Monday, got it on my porch in Seattle this afternoon. :)

Also recently ordered 9' X 40" (nice and wide) Black Widow curved ramp and wheel chock, for loading bike into truck. Should be very good quality, also should arrive Friday.  :)

Ramp will also work for sidecar loading soon as I can figure how to fit it in my truck! :o
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7156 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:45 am
 Ordered some hardware from CMW a.k.a. R.E.Fort Worth a.k.a. Baker Motorsports a.k.a. "The Store"  :)  The only difference between then and now is the zip code things ship from. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7157 on: August 25, 2017, 09:20:19 am
G'day all,
Well recently I bought the new 120/90 Continental Go for the back of Roy.
A couple of issues arose mainly the tyre rubbing against obscure unaccessible places.
A lot of it was to do with that floppy old chain.
BUT there was still some bits up in the guard looking aweful shiny...............like something had been rubbing against them.......yes :-(
The chain guard had a nice almost molten looking spot where the old chain had been flogging against it.
There was another mystery shiny spot on the chain guard........I reckon chain guard gnomes.
And then there was the whopping great rub mark at the top of the mud guard.
From the old days I imagined my back tyre growing a few inches under acceleration, but no, Roy does not run nitro (yet :-)  ).
My wife Tuyet weighs in at a fat old 49 kilos.........a 48 year old woman wrapped in a 16 year old body (sorry  sorry  off topic)..........but I weigh about........well more than twice that..........so it wasnt her causing the problem.
Anyway, Tuyet went off to the workshop and fabricated a tool to adjust the rear shockie spring height/loading.
When she came back she had a good look under the guard and reckoned the nuts on the inside of the guard would be better on the outside with the little domed head screws on the inside.......more clearance and smoother contact surface if the tyre should touch again.....................of course.
So we changed the nuts to the outside, and Tuyet insisted on being neat and painted the nuts and washers with gloss black.
So the back wheel is on again, and Tuyet took Roy to the shed to wash off the back wheel after the last week oil fiasco, and no doubt give Roy a full on tub.
Tuyet rides the bike up to the shed , about 200 metres but walks it back to keep the dust down and the bike clean.
It is the middle of the dry season here and it is as dry as a lime burners boot.
Tuyet has patiently lubed the new chain with a modest application of Morey's oil and we will see how Roy goes tomorrow.
I reckon we will do a solid 200kms tomorrow, at least.
I will report back then Royal Enield-o-nauts.
To 100kmh and beyond !!!

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7158 on: August 25, 2017, 11:33:11 am
Went for a spontaneous ride. Ended up doing just over 300 miles, rain wind and sunshine. Getting worried about my chain, it hasn't needed adjusting in 2000 miles. :o  ;)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7159 on: August 25, 2017, 07:29:31 pm
Replaced the two stock bulbs in the nacelle with some 60LM LED ones to match a 115LM unit I'd recently fitted into the reflector shell. 
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7160 on: August 26, 2017, 11:58:16 am
Hi all,
Took Roy for a run today just after sunrise.
30 deg C and a perfect day.
We did about 220kms mainly at 100kmh and up to 115kmh for around 5kms to see how the oil spitting was behaving.
All perfect.
Rear tyre doesnt rub on anything and the extra spring adjustment seems excellent.
We just watched The Worlgd Fastest Indian tonight.
Turns out I am a fair bit like that old bloke with the shed full of stuff.
Now I am looking very hard at the spare motor sitting here.
Does anyone know anything about the worlds fastest Bullet 500?
Cheers all

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7161 on: August 27, 2017, 12:46:55 am
Oh...
That last post should read "The World's Fastset Indian" :-)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7162 on: August 27, 2017, 06:53:46 pm
 Great movie.    I bet your thinking of casting them Nissan Pistons yourself now.  ;) 8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7163 on: August 27, 2017, 11:31:05 pm
Great movie.    I bet your thinking of casting them Nissan Pistons yourself now.  ;) 8)

Yea and pissin on your lemon tree
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7164 on: August 28, 2017, 03:20:00 am
HHahaha, mate I have to settle with peeing on a mango tree, and fortunately don't have to take the dog knacker medicine.
Re that Nissan piston, when I got it, it was a deep reverse deflector type piston (dished) and fairly heavy.
I was thinking about milling a segment from that portion of the flywheel that comes closest to the piston through the swept arc either side of BDC.
That way I might be able to use a slightly longer skirt piston if I need to remove much flywheel material during balancing, instead of milling holes to remove weight.
It is fairly easy to calculate the weight removed from a component if you know it's cross sectional area, depth and material it's made from.
Maybe I should just get Arias to make me a new flat top.

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7165 on: September 01, 2017, 08:08:04 am
Gday all

Took Roy for a run this morning.
Tuyet and I rode about 150kms.
The new tyre, sprocket and chain are great.
Roy got a bit angry the other day and we broke down about 10kms from home.
The neutral light staed on but the MIL light wouldn't come on so we sat there for a while.
Then the MIL light came on again and Roy started again but stopped and started a couple more times.
Then Roy fired up and we made it home no worries.
Went through the whole wiring and all connectors and plugs with contact cleaner and CRC Marine 66.
When we left this morning Roy had two coughs and then went perfectly for the whole ride.
The exhaust smells much sweeter and not so rich.
Good on ya Roy.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7166 on: September 03, 2017, 07:48:00 am
25,000 mile oil change 

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7167 on: September 05, 2017, 11:10:05 pm
Went for a nice poot along the coast road to stay cool in our hot weather at present, 26 C. The smoke in the upper atmosphere made for an eerie reddish glow and the sky was overcast all day. Thank the wildfires in B.C. & Washington State fer that crap. :(
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7168 on: September 06, 2017, 10:43:19 pm
If it's any consolation Fragman, I was hacking on my side hack halfway across Washington state yesterday!  :P
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7169 on: September 07, 2017, 08:40:36 pm
Shortened the windshield stays to allow a bit more adjustment fore or aft anglewise. One day I'll hit the sweet spot.

A simple enough job, only lengthened by clearing up a spilt cup of tea I knocked over when moving the tool box.

Todays lesson then. Remember where you put your tea!