Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855500 times)

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6915 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:32 pm
Summer is coming -- Installed new K70 on the rear of my C5 -- Old one lasted 5,250 miles and was pretty well shot.  Just love the K70's --Sticky on pavement and very good in dirt.  Priced well too.  Plus that old school look.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6916 on: March 16, 2017, 12:18:04 pm
Summer is coming -- Installed new K70 on the rear of my C5 -- Old one lasted 5,250 miles and was pretty well shot.  Just love the K70's --Sticky on pavement and very good in dirt.  Priced well too.  Plus that old school look.

Nice - that's over 1000 more miles than I've ever been able to get from a rear K70... great looking and performing tires, though, and affordable...

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6917 on: March 16, 2017, 06:46:14 pm
I guess tires last longer with us old and slow guy's rather than you kids who go like hell.  I am approaching eighty in age but like sixty mph on the bike.  In any event the K 70's are a great tire at a great price and I really enjoy wearing them out.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6918 on: March 17, 2017, 11:35:55 am
I guess tires last longer with us old and slow guy's rather than you kids who go like hell.  I am approaching eighty in age but like sixty mph on the bike.  In any event the K 70's are a great tire at a great price and I really enjoy wearing them out.

Hah!  You don't know me very well, do you?  Go like hell, me?  Nuh-uh.  I simply wore out the center strip - I think someone here, after viewing a photo of my tire, asked, "Don't you ever turn?"  I do have fun, but around here, if you wanna drag a peg, or even just get a good lean on, you're waaaay over the legal speed limit...

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #6919 on: March 17, 2017, 02:29:11 pm
Changed air filter, put "anti-flat" in the tubes.  Reached 10,000 KM on the odometer!!!

It's been a great ride, this Rumbler, only niggling thing to come along is a vibration in the muffler that started showing up recently when the engine's warmed up. 
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6920 on: March 17, 2017, 04:46:15 pm
Discovered the cause of very erratic running which appeared towards the end of a 200 mile run earlier this week was caused by a semi-circular split in the insulator which sits between the head and the efi injector body :(

Also noticed the O ring was missing from the injector side of the insulator/ assembly  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:04:08 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6921 on: March 17, 2017, 09:31:03 pm
Sixty five mile ride to scrub in the new K 70 and bed in the brake modification for self centering which I did when the tire was off.  Easy, but a bit time consuming on the brake mod.  Also removed the chrome wear guide thingy.  Changed out the star washers and scraped paint off backing plate and lubed.  Works very smoothly now.  Improvement?  Not a lot, but a much better feel.  Still a lot of pressure needed for braking.  Worth doing? Yes. Necessary? No.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6922 on: March 18, 2017, 11:11:29 am
Sixty five mile ride to scrub in the new K 70...

Better start shopping for a new one, then...  ;)

...and bed in the brake modification for self centering which I did when the tire was off.

Sorry if I missed something earlier, but which "modification for self centering" is that?

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #6923 on: March 18, 2017, 05:26:17 pm
uncovered my B5 after a winter of 'resting' tried to kick start her but my mending broken leg is still not strong enough. So a push on the starter button and she was up and running, a short ride around a private parking area showed the front disc brake is sticking on, but otherwise everything seems to be ok.
I'll be giving her a good post winter clean and check up as well as sort the front calliper over the next couple of weeks before taking her for the annual MOT. Once passed she will be in use for the rest of the year alongside my NT700
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6924 on: March 18, 2017, 10:45:50 pm
Picked up my "new" Bullet from the dealership, and went for a couple rides. Feels good to be back in the saddle again.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #6925 on: March 19, 2017, 12:48:46 am
Picked up my "new" Bullet from the dealership, and went for a couple rides. Feels good to be back in the saddle again.

Congratulations Mr. Gazer. What did you get.
There once was a biker named Double-Fat
Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze,
His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6926 on: March 19, 2017, 01:08:22 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHRm_t_8DYE

Rear brake modification video

firecaptp7

Reply #6927 on: March 19, 2017, 01:21:37 am
Re: The youtube brake video. Any chance those bolts/nuts play a role in the rear brake locking up problems discussed here from time to time?

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #6928 on: March 19, 2017, 02:36:00 am
Got all the bits and pieces re installed after finding repairing cracked headbolt tabs on the fuel tank. Did an oil change replacing all the o-rings, gaskets and copper washers. Inspected the air filter. Lubed the chain. While doing the chain, found a crack in the chrome chain guard.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #6929 on: March 19, 2017, 10:27:18 am
Re: The youtube brake video. Any chance those bolts/nuts play a role in the rear brake locking up problems discussed here from time to time?
If the brake shoes are not central, all the load is on one side of the drum and the more force that is needed to apply the brake, (consider that the EFI's also have a longer brake arm)warps the brake plate. So yes there is a possible link with the lock ups. I did this mod when I first bought my B5 in 2012 (although some advise not to) and had a good working rear brake since.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.