Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855458 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6675 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:40 pm
Brave man. I feel for you it like that here with "Heat Alerts" form the weatherman. I did what I could this morning the beat feet into the AC without a thought of riding today.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6676 on: July 23, 2016, 10:43:37 pm
Koso is ordered.  White face, chrome bezel, shift light...
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6677 on: July 23, 2016, 11:00:05 pm
Stopped only once in the state park to pose the OD green “Leftenant” in his element.

You should have posed it in front of the latrine and posted the pic in the "photo tag" thread...  ;)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6678 on: July 23, 2016, 11:07:35 pm
Well … I don’t think we saw six vehicles during the entire ride. Nothing was moving. It was like riding through the countryside after one of those science fiction bombs had vaporized all the humans and animals and left everything else unaffected. Didn’t see anybody working outdoors.

Sounds like where I live, and I like it that way. ;D
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6679 on: July 24, 2016, 03:32:35 am
   Tunnel vision with the Electra AVL nearly kept me from getting out on the C5, but sanity took over and had a nice break of 60 miles on two-lane north of Albuquerque toward the Jemez Range.
   Hitting triple digits here, so any riding is limited to morning only, then back to the garage/shop to sweat the Electra.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6680 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:10 pm
I worked out the average fuel consumption for my NC500 Scottish trip of 1998miles (well I had to get up there and back again !) on the B5 laden with both mine and my wife's luggage - most of it hers!

Just under 99mpg imperial / just over 82mpg US.
Maximum speed (where possible) was kept between 50-55mph
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6681 on: July 26, 2016, 01:37:59 am
Learned how to set cam lash, adjusted adjustable push rods to their new length. :o

Wow Portisheadric, 1998 miles of Scottish coastline? That is pretty incredible! Your wife must be a very good passenger. And 81 mpg too!

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6682 on: July 26, 2016, 02:56:21 am
I worked out the average fuel consumption for my NC500 Scottish trip of 1998miles (well I had to get up there and back again !) on the B5 laden with both mine and my wife's luggage - most of it hers!

Just under 99mpg imperial / just over 82mpg US.
Maximum speed (where possible) was kept between 50-55mph
Hope you missed most of the rubbish weather we've been getting.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6683 on: July 26, 2016, 03:08:53 pm
Malky, We only had a couple of completely dry days and after emptying the water out of my boots after the first drenching in the Lake District I opted to use some plastic bags for boot liners which definitely helped. I also bought some additional waterproof over garments which kept the very worst at bay. I know now that my 5yr old waterproofs weren't !  Scottish rain semed morning or afternoon - fortunately not all day and once it had finished all signs disappeared very quickly.

Narada, the Scottish trip itself should have been about 500 miles in length, but add in a few detours over the Brecon Beacons, through Snowdonia (Wales), the Lake District (Cumbria), the Yorkshire Dales, round a few Lochs here and there and the mileage soon adds up. My wife actually rode up to Scotland and back on one of my other bikes as she prefers riding to being pillion.

Treated the B5 to a new oil and filter change this morning :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:38:30 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6684 on: July 26, 2016, 08:17:46 pm
Sounds like a great ride portisheadric!

Narada, I'm about to order the Koso. Results are in for my speedo and it's kaput. I've never known a bike to eat speedometers the way this one does!

So did you order the RPM signal meter for your EFI? I know some have had to use one but not sure if these were used on EFI bikes.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6685 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:24 pm
No, I just ordered the tach.  I am ordering some magnets that go in or near your rotor for speedo pickup as per GHG.  I think that's  the alternative to the part you mentioned. 

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6686 on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:10 pm
Hmm, I thought some had experienced some random rev needle jumping which was the need for the signal meter. I'll see how it goes

I decided to go for the cable adaptor instead of magnets. Hopefully installing this weekend.

I've got a little tires of the 'wonder how long the speedo will last' game lol

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6687 on: July 26, 2016, 10:19:42 pm
Now I know what you mean!  I just watched a you tube video by Singh5 about that.  The part is readily available from Koso and looked affordable. 

The tach in that video was a different one than I ordered too, so hopefully I won't need it.

I'm at work now, and don't recall the model number I ordered, but it is the "fully loaded" one. 8)

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6688 on: July 26, 2016, 10:28:58 pm
Well as I decided I didn't know the thread that the cable uses and last week I did phone and was told the normal cable drive adaptor would be ok (not the Triumph, BSA, Royal Enfield adaptor), that'd I'd go for the magnets.

Just tried to measure the clearance, will be close and might have to shave the bracket slightly.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6689 on: July 26, 2016, 11:19:09 pm
   You guys are talking about the koso  TNT gauge I assume ?   If so, no you don't need the RPM filter thing.  You can grab the signal right off the pulsar coil.... UCE engine bike I am talking about here.  Do they make a cable adapter now for the UCE ?    I if they do, and depending on how much it was ?   I probably wouldn't spend the extra cash for one.   I have not had a problem with the magnets yet, and it's been a good few year's I guess now that I have had then in the wheel.  And those shorter magnets that I linked on that thread should do you.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.