Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855349 times)

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5850 on: June 08, 2015, 07:58:28 pm
Just got back from a 75 mile ride on slow winding two-lane back roads.  A friend just finished a 1966 BMW build and wanted someone to go along with him on a slow speed (35-45 mph) ride while he starts his break-in period.  Perfect weather (80F) on almost abandoned back roads winding through the hills, farms and forests of NE Washington.  I forgot how tranquil it is to be rolling through the shadows and sunbeams at low-speed totally relaxed riding and able to smell and hear everything around you.  No traffic, no stress...perfect!
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5851 on: June 08, 2015, 08:58:33 pm
That's my favorite type of ride.  8)
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5852 on: June 14, 2015, 03:54:11 pm
I've been doing a bit of tinkering the last couple of days.  Friday I went out and did another timing adjustment and now have it running the best yet since I put it back together over the winter.  So took her up to Sonic for the Friday Night Hot Rod Meet.  Unfortunately my phone died so I didn't get any pics, but the bike and I received MANY compliments on the build.  Even met the owner of a 2003 AVL that I have seen a couple of times over the last few years.  I guess he is in need of a full rebuild and so I gave him my phone number and offered my assistance when the time comes and also suggested he join the forum here.

However, when I wrenched on the bike last week, switching back to the 18T front sprocket, I discovered 2 new issues.  ::)  First of all, the nut that holds the counter-shaft sprocket on doesn't have a single thread left in it!   :o  So currently, it's just serving as a spacer.  I said screw it for now, I'll replace it when I do the primary chain.  I have a feeling it's been like that for over 1.5 years.  I had problems with it the last time I changed the sprocket, and I don't think it ever took then.  No biggie, I haven't been taking very long rides at all anyhow.

Then as I was adjusting the rear wheel on assembly I found the brake anchor pivot bolt threads were stripped and the nut had seized itself onto the bolt.  I addressed that issue yesterday, and I ended up having to cut the bolt off.  After I did that I was able to remove the rear wheel and disassemble the brakes.  I went down to Ace Hardware with the remaining piece of the pivot bolt and a brake shoe and started looking in all the different drawers trying many different configurations trying to make something that would work safely and not have excessive play.  My hands were all greased up so I didn't get any pics, but I ended up using a 2" long 1/2" diameter shoulder bolt, a 3/8"ID x 1/2" wide steel spacer drilled out to 1/2" ID, 2 - 1/2" ID nylon shim washers, and a 3/8" nut and washer.  I needed to grind down the head of the shoulder bolt to get clearance around the drum, but that was easy enough.  I had some serious doubts that my concoction was going to work.  But after I cleaned everything out, sanded the drum, chamfered and sanded my Asbestos brake shoes, greased all the pivot points and put it all back together, low and behold the rear brake now works better than I think it has since I got it back on the road.   :D  Sometimes I even amaze myself.  ;)

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5853 on: June 20, 2015, 11:05:37 pm
Decided to have a crack at a fork oil change before schedule service time.

Many many thanks to those who made the guides. You know who you are but names currently escape me.

Man those top caps were tight. The first fork I did the cap was slightly corroded and I almost gave up until it finally 'cracked'.

140ml ish out 195 10w fresh in. This will be interesting as I thought it was already quite firm (remember I'm a 60kg odd lightweight) still, just a final tighten check on all bolts tomorrow and a check as to what's now rubbing (shroud I think though looks centred to me) then a good test ride down some local favourite roads.

This job now done I think that finally I'm getting to know every inch of the bike which is surely part of the bike bonding process :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5854 on: June 21, 2015, 12:41:15 am
and a check as to what's now rubbing (shroud I think though looks centred to me)

Is something rubbing?  There isn't a lot of clearance between the B5's fork legs, fork cover tubes, and fender.  Get everything centered, or you're likely to find the paint rubbed off the cover tubes and/or fender...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5855 on: June 21, 2015, 08:26:30 pm
mattz that looks like a lot of for travel. I', sure mine don't move that much though could be wrong.

Nah, mudguard is centred nicely. I thought it might be the bottom leg rubbing inside the shroud as there were marks on it when I took them out. I don't think there's much I can do and it's not that noticeable.

The ride difference is though. I think it actually vibrates less now. I'm currently deciding if to follow manual schedule or change every year.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5856 on: June 21, 2015, 08:39:04 pm
IMO, unless your riding a lot of scrambles courses where the front suspension gets a lot   of full travel there isn't much reason for changing the oil in the front forks.

Their basically a sealed system so the only contamination for the oil is any metal dust that wears off of the sliding components.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5857 on: June 22, 2015, 12:50:52 am
I had to do some bending and tweaking of my front fender stays when I first got the bike to center up the fender and fit a rub like that.  Centered the fender and all is right in the world.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5858 on: June 22, 2015, 01:26:32 am
I was working on the Subaru this morning so I took the Blackhawk up to Advance Auto for some stuff.  After chatting with old co-workers for a bit I went into the small field next to the store and did a couple rooster trails in the dirt.   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5859 on: June 22, 2015, 03:31:06 am
IMO, unless your riding a lot of scrambles courses where the front suspension gets a lot   of full travel there isn't much reason for changing the oil in the front forks.

Their basically a sealed system so the only contamination for the oil is any metal dust that wears off of the sliding components.

It does wear out though.  Good to change it every few years or so.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #5860 on: June 24, 2015, 04:03:15 pm
Wrecked.  "You don't have bad luck.....the reason that bad things happen to you, is because you're a dumbass."

:o I managed my first real dumbass move (at least, first with consequences) on Monday, 14 months into my tenure on a motorcycle. Wet morning, foggy as hell, damp roads with spots of dry. Went into a slow left turn onto another street across wet crosswalk striping, and the rear let go on the bat-guano slick striping paint, then caught on a dry patch of asphalt and flipped into a high side. No more than 15-20mph.

My gear did its job. I hit on my shoulder and face, armored jacket meant I didn't even feel where my shoulder hit. Full face shoei was all scuffed where my cheek would have been, again no injury. Only bump is on my shin where it must've hit the foot peg.

Hard side case was crunched, along with the bar end mirror. Handlebars slid in their clamp, bent, brake lever scuffed and bent. Scrapes on the fender, tank, small dent in the tank from the throttle cable junction hitting the tank. Foot peg scraped, exhaust scraped, seat damaged. Bike was stuck in gear briefly, but broke loose and seems to run free now. Brought her into the shop for a full look over.

So...what did I do wrong? My assessment: Too much lean over the wet striping for the available grip, and when it went out I think I should have nailed the throttle to keep it spinning and maybe have avoided the high side flip once the tire hit the dry asphalt?
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

stevew

• Scooter
Reply #5861 on: June 24, 2015, 04:17:52 pm
Is something rubbing?  There isn't a lot of clearance between the B5's fork legs, fork cover tubes, and fender.  Get everything centered, or you're likely to find the paint rubbed off the cover tubes and/or fender...

My 2011 B5 is exactly the same.  Doesn't hurt the running though.  No easy answer so i have just left it  ;D
2014, Honda Wave 110i
2013, Maxsym 400i
2001, C90
2011, B5 UCI Enfield
Orpington, UK

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5862 on: June 24, 2015, 06:51:17 pm
Wrecked.  "You don't have bad luck.....the reason that bad things happen to you, is because you're a dumbass."

:o I managed my first real dumbass move (at least, first with consequences) on Monday, 14 months into my tenure on a motorcycle. Wet morning, foggy as hell, damp roads with spots of dry. Went into a slow left turn onto another street across wet crosswalk striping, and the rear let go on the bat-guano slick striping paint, then caught on a dry patch of asphalt and flipped into a high side. No more than 15-20mph.

My gear did its job. I hit on my shoulder and face, armored jacket meant I didn't even feel where my shoulder hit. Full face shoei was all scuffed where my cheek would have been, again no injury. Only bump is on my shin where it must've hit the foot peg.

Hard side case was crunched, along with the bar end mirror. Handlebars slid in their clamp, bent, brake lever scuffed and bent. Scrapes on the fender, tank, small dent in the tank from the throttle cable junction hitting the tank. Foot peg scraped, exhaust scraped, seat damaged. Bike was stuck in gear briefly, but broke loose and seems to run free now. Brought her into the shop for a full look over.

So...what did I do wrong? My assessment: Too much lean over the wet striping for the available grip, and when it went out I think I should have nailed the throttle to keep it spinning and maybe have avoided the high side flip once the tire hit the dry asphalt?

I'm glad to hear that you are fine after that.

I ride in all weather, including rain and snow, and use this simple rule of thumb when I get to intersections with crosswalks in the rain: If I'm not in first gear, then I am going too damn fast.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5863 on: June 24, 2015, 07:12:27 pm
Wrecked.  "You don't have bad luck.....the reason that bad things happen to you, is because you're a dumbass."...............

Bummer.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5864 on: June 24, 2015, 07:17:04 pm
Last night, on the way home, I crossed the 5000 mile mark.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5