Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855280 times)

stevew

• Scooter
Reply #5685 on: April 08, 2015, 09:51:16 pm
Had the in-laws round for a meal so couldn't ride today  :(
Parked the R/E outside the garage and within view if the big dining room window so i could look at it whilst the rest talked jibberish !!
2014, Honda Wave 110i
2013, Maxsym 400i
2001, C90
2011, B5 UCI Enfield
Orpington, UK

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5686 on: April 08, 2015, 09:53:24 pm
I pulled the tarp off of the Blackhawk today to discover that somehow, about a 1/4-1/2 of a quart of oil had been, I assume, poured on the back of my bike under the tarp.  I don't know how the hell this is even possible, and it pisses me off because I just gave the bike a full detail before I put it in storage before I left for vacation.  I can tell there is a bunch of oil between the seat pan and the pad now too.  Effing shitty people.  The tarp is basically ruined now too because it has so much oil on it.   >:(

I was so mad about it that I decided that despite the primary cover being loose, I fired it up and went for a ride.  I just stayed in the neighborhood, but I was able to load time the bike a little better with the 92 octane.  She's running good, but I need to look into a Mikuni carb so I can run pure E85.  I just can't get enough timing with the 150psi cylinder pressures on pump gas.

That just plain sucks. If it were vandalism, somebody went to more trouble than usual, if they lifted the tarp, poured oil on it, and put the tarp back.

We have a very high rate of both car and motorcycle vandalism here. Way more vandalism than theft. Bikes usually just get kicked over. Cars get scratched, windows broken out, tires slashed, and spray painted.

I would not leave any of my nice vehicles in any parking lot anywhere. They are all safely at home, either in the garage or what used to be the living room. I have an old beater car (with A/C) and an old scooter to use for transportation and commuting. I once lived in an apartment for about 2 years, I made a deal with a friend (30 years) to park my bike in his garage, as he had a 2 car garage, and only one car. I bought my house (first, and last) mainly because it offered a lot of secured storage space, a 2 car garage, a large shed in the back yard, and was completely surrounded by a 6' cinder block wall with a wrought iron gate. Only 970 sq.ft. inside, but plenty for me. 
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5687 on: April 09, 2015, 05:46:00 pm
Fetched my B5, I wish I had cleaned it before putting the poor girl in the garage a month ago, as its been to windy to ride it until this week, spring is here with a burst of glorious sunshine  :)
So now I get to clean and polish a winters worth of riding of mud, dirt and grime away ready for (hopefully) the next few months of more sunshine than rain
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5688 on: April 10, 2015, 09:43:36 pm
Yay!  I upgraded my car port to one that is under the building of the building I live in.  The old car port was 2 buildings away and in the middle of the parking lot.  That made it kind of difficult to keep a close eye on.  Best part is that it's on the east side of the building, so it should be very protected from the elements now, plus it is directly across from where I park my car so I'll always see it.  ANNNNND now it's parked on flat concrete, so I don't have to worry about it sinking into the asphalt anymore.  Another $5 a month, but it's worth it.    :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #5689 on: April 10, 2015, 10:11:49 pm
Replaced the breather tube and sealed the air box.  Routed the new hose to the rear fender and inserted a duck bill into the larger hose.  Works like a charm and no more oil in the filter case.

Heyska

• Scooter
Reply #5690 on: April 11, 2015, 10:59:02 pm
Took her for a ride and some dude clipped my rear turn signal while parking. 75 miles later the negative battery lead snapped and I had to jerry-rig it to get me home. Pretty disappointed this happened before I even put 250 miles on it. I guess I am going to go down and find something to replace it and secure it better.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5691 on: April 12, 2015, 12:23:33 am
Replaced the breather tube and sealed the air box.  Routed the new hose to the rear fender and inserted a duck bill into the larger hose.  Works like a charm and no more oil in the filter case.
GOOD FOR YOU,  I do the same but without the duck bill. This has worked for me since before there was a DOT.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5692 on: April 12, 2015, 02:26:15 am
The Blackhawk had always sprayed oil out of the breather.  Pretty badly, as in the rear of the bike was always wet.  But I recently installed a PCV valve about 3" from the crank breather and a duck bill directly on that and the spray has been reduced to a light misting.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5693 on: April 12, 2015, 05:16:26 am
Of course, the Blackhawk is a original late 1950's twin.
The old Iron Barrels also had many problems with oil mist/drops coming from its breather.

I have yet to see any evidence of oil in my air filter plenum from the breather hose on my 2011 UCE powered motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #5694 on: April 12, 2015, 12:25:25 pm
Brought her home from the winter garage, changed the oil and filter again and ran through most of the gas that was in the tank. She was a little grumpy at first that I didn't drain the old schmutzy gas and give her fresh food, and gave a mighty burp to illustrate. In a few miles, though, her delight at once again seeing the open road overcame her distaste for the food, and she was chugging along happily. Fresh fuel and a few errand miles are hopefully on tap today.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5695 on: April 12, 2015, 05:02:56 pm
washed and waxed the B5, gave her a once over, oiling and greasing cables chain, pivot points etc. made a note of the more heavier corroded parts, mainly on the left side which may be due to when the oem battery sprayed its acid gas when it failed. I'll attend to these bits and pieces when its not riding weather!
filled up the tank from a gas can, cold, fuel sunny day, yep expanded and ruined my polishing efforts, I had to run the engine for a while to drop the level enough to not blow out in the sun, before setting about with the wax again.....
100mile commute time again good spring sunshine forecast for this week, ideal for the Bullet. 8)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5696 on: April 13, 2015, 03:13:22 am
stuck in Oklahoma for business, One of our fellow inmates here advised me about the Street Rod Nationals at the fairgrounds this weekend....  Had a great time looking at hillbilly T-buckets and found a replica tail-light that is going on the back of my B5 !

It's heavy chrome and a true GLASS lens ....  nice deep red color ......   sweet !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5697 on: April 13, 2015, 05:22:21 am
It looks a lot like a 1953 Pontiac tail light.

That would look good on the back of a RE.
I'd think about getting one if I could figure out how to meet my States requirement to light up the license  plate.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5699 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:28 pm
Took her for a ride and some dude clipped my rear turn signal while parking. 75 miles later the negative battery lead snapped and I had to jerry-rig it to get me home. Pretty disappointed this happened before I even put 250 miles on it. I guess I am going to go down and find something to replace it and secure it better.

Be sure and search around the forum (via google) for the battery lead replacement thread.  There is some good stuff there.  That is a bummer, as I thought they had that all figured out and all of the newer (2014 and on) models had much thicker negative lead connectors.  Oh well, now you have a chance to get familiar with the battery replacement and that area of the bike. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5