Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855467 times)

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5490 on: February 07, 2015, 12:07:08 am
Arghhhh!!!
the stainless steel line from hitchcock is not directly fitting..
the heads are 1mm width less than the stocks one...
so the line is not aligned (you have to align the line hole to the screw hole..) it is directed toward the front of the bike.. the low end is worse.. directed toward the wheel...
not good...
i'll try to use the stock washers, they have a little more width...
will report..
Ben

tonight, i worked on my C5 front brake caliper...
i started to bleed it... what came off is a disgusting greenish un-liquid thing...
yackkkk!!!!
then totally dismantle the brake, the two pistons were stuck... pain in the ass to remove them... used a lot of WD40...
finally off, cleaned everything, lubbed, and get all the parts back in...
i even changed the brake line for a new stainless steel from hitchcock...
now i still need to put some new brake fluid... and try on the road...
Ben

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5491 on: February 07, 2015, 01:33:04 am
Ducati Scotty

I think you meant to say 5/16" high pressure fuel line.

5/64 inches is only .0781 inch diameter.  About the size I use for my flintlock rifles touch hole and it is fine for that but it's a bit small for a fuel line.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5492 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:04 am
Arghhhh!!!
the stainless steel line from hitchcock is not directly fitting..
the heads are 1mm width less than the stocks one...
so the line is not aligned (you have to align the line hole to the screw hole..) it is directed toward the front of the bike.. the low end is worse.. directed toward the wheel...
not good...
i'll try to use the stock washers, they have a little more width...
will report..
Ben

Are you sure you don't have the line upside down?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5493 on: February 07, 2015, 10:16:12 am
The chain was heavily lubricated before fitting then every 200 miles as my journeys consist of 100 mile each way distance travelled before the break 475 miles, front sprocket was fitted at the same time as the chain so is new, rear sprocket had 5700 miles on it, so is hardly worn.
I'm about to recheck wheel and sprocket alignment as suggested by Hitchcock's in case something has moved before fitting a new chain.
some slightly out of focus pictures (sorry!)

a second broken link 18" from the complete break
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5494 on: February 07, 2015, 11:53:39 am
Renolds chain is not what it used to be.
I think that DID chain box in the background of your photo looks like a good choice, or a Tsubaki.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5495 on: February 07, 2015, 12:02:40 pm
Glad that you're safe @ johno. It's surprising though. I'm also using a standard Renolds chain (purchased from Mr. H) on my Bullet 500 for quite a while now. I've adjusted it once in 9000mi. Seems okay to me, with no uneven spots of 'tightness'  :-\

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5496 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:25 pm
Your mileage may literally vary.  Tsubaki 530 o-ring chains receive a lot of praise, so I put one on my B5, cleaning and lubricating it about every 300 miles.  It was history four thousand miles later, when links started seizing up...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5497 on: February 07, 2015, 02:14:46 pm
Ducati Scotty

I think you meant to say 5/16" high pressure fuel line.

5/64 inches is only .0781 inch diameter.  About the size I use for my flintlock rifles touch hole and it is fine for that but it's a bit small for a fuel line.  :D

I think you're right ;)  Thanks for the correction.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5498 on: February 07, 2015, 05:01:07 pm
I checked wheel and sprocket alignment, everything is as was when I installed the chain and front sprocket......so it looks like it is the chain at fault .....unless a bit of road debris hit the chain, but I didn't see  or feel anything.
As I need the bike, I havn't the time to wait for a warranty replacement, so bought the D.I.D chain that is in the photo, this is a very heavy duty chain and is actually 3mm wider overall than the Renolds, which was wider than the OEM elastic band. What a well engineered chain the D.I.D. is, the rollers slot perfectly into the sprocket teeth, spinning the wheel and the chain emits a low rumble rather than a rattle, being heavy duty, it looks the part to.
I also did a bit of tin bashing to straighten out the chain guard, there is a small hole where the Renolds ripped through it, I'll sort that out at a later date.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5499 on: February 07, 2015, 05:16:30 pm
I've heard of occasional problems with other good name chains but never with a DID.  Just handling them you can tell it's quality.  It's the only chain I use.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5500 on: February 07, 2015, 06:27:46 pm
Well, I've got a new DID (non o-ring) on the shelf, waiting to be installed in the spring - if I don't kill myself before it gets here.  I have plenty of opportunities.  I could throw myself off the roof - while I'm up there shoveling it; I could step in front of a snow plow - which comes by my house about every hour;  I could poison myself with CO from my generator exhaust - which I have had to run when the power goes out...

Hmm... can you tell yet that I'm sick of this winter?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5501 on: February 07, 2015, 07:10:52 pm
Snow in the mountains and 70°F in Denver.  Think I'll lube my cables and try for a ride.   :)  So glad I moved from Wisconsin to Denver.   ;)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5502 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:52 pm
73+ today down here in the Springs. Washed the bike and two other vehicles. Took about an hour and a half.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5503 on: February 07, 2015, 10:36:42 pm
Well, I've got a new DID (non o-ring) on the shelf, waiting to be installed in the spring - if I don't kill myself before it gets here.  I have plenty of opportunities.  I could throw myself off the roof - while I'm up there shoveling it; I could step in front of a snow plow - which comes by my house about every hour;  I could poison myself with CO from my generator exhaust - which I have had to run when the power goes out...

Hmm... can you tell yet that I'm sick of this winter?

And don't feel too bad Matt.  Karma kicked me in the face and took 4th gear away from me.  So no real riding.  :(

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5504 on: February 07, 2015, 10:55:19 pm
I've been lucky on the south coast of the UK this year plenty of good if a bit chilly riding weather.
Last year we had destructive storms seemed like every day for 3 months. But this year it has been reasonable, unlike further North where they are suffering the left overs from the USA weather!
2012 B5 Bullet