Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855340 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5355 on: December 23, 2014, 09:25:30 pm
She's an oldie, '58, I have a single leading front drum.  May change it to a UCE disc front end one day.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5356 on: December 23, 2014, 11:10:08 pm
  I'm liking the black bars and controls  Scottie !    I think the head light brackets would look good in black as well.    And maybe the top of the lower legs.... Right where you would have a dust boot , thinkin' that would match with the rear shocks ?  Bike looks great, and just thinking out loud.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #5357 on: December 24, 2014, 08:36:09 am
She's an oldie, '58, I have a single leading front drum.  May change it to a UCE disc front end one day.

I highly recommend putting a TLS or disk on he front Scottie, just for safetys sake, I've found even with a setup TLS going down winding hills becomes scary, I am putting a Electra front end onto my bike with disk. Going this path as apparently Electra front ends are slightly stronger so they handle the disk better.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5358 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:28 pm
I am putting a Electra front end onto my bike with disk. Going this path as apparently Electra front ends are slightly stronger so they handle the disk better.
HI MR. MAZZA, While you are pulling down your Fork to replace it, as a favor, could you tell me IF the Front Fork Upper & Lower Clamps are the same dimensions as on the Electra forks?  Reason I ask is I would like to find a way to have an early type Friction Fork Damper adapted to my 2010 G5 (which I believe is the same fork as the Electra) but it has no hole through the center of the fork pinion. If the dimensions are the same I will be looking for an earlier Fork Tree. Only other option is to buy a spare new lower clamp & have the pinion Drilled at a machine shop. Thanks !
Merry Christmas, Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5359 on: December 24, 2014, 11:28:06 pm
Craig - Were you aware that H's sold these?   ???

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5360 on: December 25, 2014, 03:54:36 pm
Craig - Were you aware that H's sold these?   ???

THANKYOU - I will look into it !

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #5361 on: December 25, 2014, 11:15:55 pm
That steering damper - is it just a friction damper, or viscous?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5362 on: December 26, 2014, 04:14:57 pm
That steering damper - is it just a friction damper, or viscous?
It is a simple friction Damper, as used back in the day. They work very well, & obviously I miss them. They DO clear up some of the wobble many experience - of course they won't cure something that's out of whack.
   At cruising speed, I always preferred to dial in slightly stiffer steering. Once you've had that option - you'll miss it if its gone.

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #5363 on: December 26, 2014, 04:45:19 pm
Here is one made by a friend of mine to fit new Bonneville's. It's a lot less money. Wonder if it could be made to fit an RE?

Put "farley and ace.com" into your browser.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #5364 on: December 26, 2014, 09:56:53 pm
Picked mine up at the dealer.....BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!!!!    ;D

"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5365 on: December 26, 2014, 10:14:54 pm
Toesnose
I like your taste in color choice!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:33:02 pm by NorEaster »

topdog29

• Scooter
Reply #5366 on: December 27, 2014, 02:59:35 pm
Did a 600km ride with a single stop for 30 min. Average Speed 50 to 70 kmph. Cheers!
I'm on of those, who wake up at 4 am to have a look at their motorcycle.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #5367 on: December 27, 2014, 10:06:51 pm
I'll tell you why I asked if it was friction or viscous: because last time I tried a friction one it made the bike do a slow roll as you were driving along.  Kind of like a very long, endless 'S' curve.  It would lean over (almost imperceptibly) one way, then the force on the steering would "unstick" the damper which let the steering go over to the other side, at which point it would stick again and the process would then repeat in the other direction.  Back and forth endlessly.  This happened back in the day on two completely different bikes - a Kawasaki Z1 and a Ducati single.

Has anyone else had that problem?

I can't understand how a friction damper can be of help, on the grounds that if it's loose enough not to cause roll it's too loose to dampen high speed wobbles.  (Hence why viscous ones are available, I guess.)

Obviously I must be wrong, though.  If anyone can enlighten me I'd be most grateful.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5368 on: December 28, 2014, 12:18:12 am
looks a bit like mine!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5369 on: December 28, 2014, 01:26:58 pm
I'll tell you why I asked if it was friction or viscous: because last time I tried a friction one it made the bike do a slow roll as you were driving along.  Kind of like a very long, endless 'S' curve.  It would lean over (almost imperceptibly) one way, then the force on the steering would "unstick" the damper which let the steering go over to the other side, at which point it would stick again and the process would then repeat in the other direction.  Back and forth endlessly.  This happened back in the day on two completely different bikes - a Kawasaki Z1 and a Ducati single.

Has anyone else had that problem?

I can't understand how a friction damper can be of help, on the grounds that if it's loose enough not to cause roll it's too loose to dampen high speed wobbles.  (Hence why viscous ones are available, I guess.)

Obviously I must be wrong, though.  If anyone can enlighten me I'd be most grateful.

I keep my damper very tight.  As in, about a 1/4-1/2 of a turn from from being completely bottomed out tight.  The only time it ever caused an issue was the very first time I went around the block, I didn't know what the damper was, so just tightened it.  I almost dropped the bike 3 times before I realized what I did.