Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855538 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5280 on: December 05, 2014, 10:05:18 pm
I didn't do anything for my own RE, but I did this for somebody elses!
Racing Big Head with Hi-Lift Roller Rocker kit and porting for 8000 rpm, destined for a race bike in Australia which plans to run it at the Philip Island Classic races in January.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19256.msg231743.html#new

You might have to scroll up or down a little to get to all the photos and flow data.
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5281 on: December 05, 2014, 10:30:53 pm
Do you ever ceramic coat the exhaust ports?  Would it be worth it to keep the head cooler and move that heat to the header?

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5282 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:23 pm
Do you ever ceramic coat the exhaust ports?  Would it be worth it to keep the head cooler and move that heat to the header?

Scott
Yes, it's standard equipment on the Fireball heads.
That Big Head in that linked thread has ceramic coated exhaust port. That's why it is black and shiny inside.
The combustion chamber and valve faces have ceramic/metallic coating, which is that matte gray color seen in that chamber photo.
Works well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:41:29 pm by ace.cafe »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5283 on: December 05, 2014, 10:43:41 pm
I knew about the combustion chamber/valves and that you do the piston, wasn't sure on the port.  Thanks :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5284 on: December 07, 2014, 02:22:00 pm
I actually did this Friday, but here it is now.  I've been desperately needing some kind of catch can on my bike,  I've done a couple different things but nothing really worked that well.  Digging thru the parts rooms at work on Friday, I saw an A/C drier canister sitting on a shelf and gave me an idea.  So I went out to a parts car and found an A/C drier that still had the lines connected.  Brought it into the shop and trimmed the refrigerant lines to accept some rubber fuel line, then soaked it all in a bucket of gun wash (Acetone, MEK, ect.).  After letting is soak for about 30 minutes, then I pulled all the parts back out and cleaned them with compressed air.  Next, I took the pressure sensor, broke the plug part off and filled it with black plastic epoxy and then ground the epoxy flat.  I think this is going to work quite well for a couple of reasons; 1 - it is small and won't take up much room or weight, and 2 - it's baffled so it shouldn't allow any fluid to come out the other side, spraying the back half of my bike with oil.  My plan is to install the crank breather line to the input of the drier (the very short line) and the duck bill on the exit side (upside down U shaped line).  This should completely eliminate all blow by oil due to the combination of the baffling and the duck bill, and will bolt right onto my battery tray.  Plus, if it does fill up with oil and start spitting again, I just need to remove it and put it upside down in an oil drain pan for a little while.   :)

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5285 on: December 07, 2014, 06:03:22 pm
I actually did this Friday, but here it is now.  I've been desperately needing some kind of catch can on my bike,  I've done a couple different things but nothing really worked that well.  Digging thru the parts rooms at work on Friday, I saw an A/C drier canister sitting on a shelf and gave me an idea.  So I went out to a parts car and found an A/C drier that still had the lines connected.  Brought it into the shop and trimmed the refrigerant lines to accept some rubber fuel line, then soaked it all in a bucket of gun wash (Acetone, MEK, ect.).  After letting is soak for about 30 minutes, then I pulled all the parts back out and cleaned them with compressed air.  Next, I took the pressure sensor, broke the plug part off and filled it with black plastic epoxy and then ground the epoxy flat.  I think this is going to work quite well for a couple of reasons; 1 - it is small and won't take up much room or weight, and 2 - it's baffled so it shouldn't allow any fluid to come out the other side, spraying the back half of my bike with oil.  My plan is to install the crank breather line to the input of the drier (the very short line) and the duck bill on the exit side (upside down U shaped line).  This should completely eliminate all blow by oil due to the combination of the baffling and the duck bill, and will bolt right onto my battery tray.  Plus, if it does fill up with oil and start spitting again, I just need to remove it and put it upside down in an oil drain pan for a little while.   :)

Hi, I thought catch cans were used to satisfy the rules when racing to keep oil of the track. All my old Brits came with open hoses following the rear fender line. I'm running a similar open crankcase breather on my G5 Deluxe. It only spits when I've over filled the Crankcase. Does your twin spit a lot?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5286 on: December 07, 2014, 06:30:59 pm
Yes, a lot.  Regardless of oil level or rpms.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5287 on: December 07, 2014, 11:19:23 pm
Well, it will catch the oil. Should eliminate that issue.
Certainly not ideal to have a large volume can ahead of the duckbill. It will allow quite a bit of pumping activity between the crankcase and the can, and back again. But, I suppose it's better than nothing.

A completely open breather line is the worst thing you can do. So, at least you have a duckbill on it somewhere, even if it is not ideal.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5288 on: December 07, 2014, 11:29:35 pm
Ace have you ever done any of those coatings on a piston crown? .

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5289 on: December 07, 2014, 11:36:06 pm
Rode the bike yesterday and had the throttle cable snap off at the handlebar grip.  Second time in 2 years.  Hate when that happens.  Had to adjust the idle to high to get the bike to my destination.  Have to order another one. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5290 on: December 07, 2014, 11:40:59 pm
Rode the bike yesterday and had the throttle cable snap off at the handlebar grip.  Second time in 2 years.  Hate when that happens.  Had to adjust the idle to high to get the bike to my destination.  Have to order another one.
   Use a pressure luber on the new cable before installing it. If you don't have access to one, use a funnel & some tape then pour some synthetic engine oil in it and let it run thru overnight . (Hang it or clamp lightly in a vice)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:45:53 pm by motorman2whel »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5291 on: December 07, 2014, 11:54:54 pm
Ace have you ever done any of those coatings on a piston crown? .

Yes, nearly all of them. A few people requested them bare to save money, but not many.
Cer/Met(matte gray) on the crown, and moly-coat(black) on the skirt. Virtually all Fireballs ever built have both of these coatings on the piston.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:58:33 pm by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5292 on: December 08, 2014, 02:07:53 am
Ace - This canister is not wide open.  It has a large baffled plate and filters inside of it.  You can blow/breathe thru it, not freely, but not restricted either.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5293 on: December 08, 2014, 02:31:39 am

A completely open breather line is the worst thing you can do. So, at least you have a duckbill on it somewhere, even if it is not ideal.
Hi Ace, Could you elaborate on that statement. I have been running open breather tubes up over my rear fenders & out the rear for decades now & never had a problem. Why is this bad?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5294 on: December 08, 2014, 04:01:32 am
I have also run open breathers on most of my bikes. Some of them go directly from the crankcase to the air box (same thing as an open breather) I always remove all the emissions crap from my bikes, and sometimes that does not leave a place for the breather to go. I do recommend a filter of some kind on the end. Bikes do not have a PCV system like cars, there is no suction on the breather hose. My late 1985 Goldwing had the most complicated breather system I've ever seen. Almost 50 parts. I ripped it all off, stuck a hose on the crankcase fitting, and ran it down below the bike, so that it would work kind of like the old road draft tubes cars had before PCV valves appeared. I have always wondered why bikes never had PCV systems. It is a great way to keep the crankcase clean.

Oh, I rode my Enfield 220 miles today. It took all day, with several stops. Beautiful day, perfect for a ride. This is a perfect therapy bike. I felt so much better during and after the ride. No issues with power, speed, or handling, like so many modern bikes. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. I wish I'd had this bike a couple decades ago.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson