Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855486 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #5055 on: October 14, 2014, 01:08:20 pm
You always have a camera strapped to ye head?!
  But that motor sounds great winding out -
  Enjoyed:)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5056 on: October 14, 2014, 01:22:58 pm
You always have a camera strapped to ye head?!

My wife would like to think so!  ;D  But, no, not always.  I just never know what excitement I might catch when going for a test ride after wrenching on the bike.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5057 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:38 pm
Not strictly today as I forgot to post, but yesterday after adjusting the chain I looked further into why the rear brake arm was up against the exhaust and the brake rod was touching the exhaust hanger.

Seems at some point in it's previous ownership, the brake arm had been flipped the wrong way round!

Also glad I had a windscreen arm removal tool to remove the brake arm, made life a lot easier.

REG5

• Scooter
Reply #5058 on: October 14, 2014, 09:43:50 pm
Hitchcocks delivered my new spindle assembly, so I got back out on the road today for the first time in a couple weeks. The perfect birthday gift  ;D
RE as a primary mode of transportation was a dubious choice.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5059 on: October 15, 2014, 01:13:43 am
Finally sorted the stuff in my garage enough to make a parking spot for my G5 Deluxe, my wife is happy that it's out of the parlor now. Space is still tight in the garage, so I run it up on my Big Red Harbor Freight Lift  & park it on its center stand.   KEEPERS.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #5060 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:26 am
Craig,  This may seem like a dumb question but here goes.  I also have one of the big red lifts that I used on my smaller Yamaha dirt bike which worked fine as it did not have a center stand.  Now that I have the Enfield I am afraid that if it get it up there and on the center stand I won't be able to rock it onto the tires without the stand skidding and me falling down.  I am ten years older than you and not very strong anymore. Advice is needed, or encouragement, or perhaps a parking attendant.  Getting old stinks, but I'm still glad to be here !

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #5061 on: October 15, 2014, 09:43:32 am
I put the tank back on !!!! It looks like a bike again! Just need front brake pads, motul ,air filter, one stock trafficator  and I'm riding again (I hope)!!!
Craig, I'm very pleased to read that you're keeping the g5 comrade! I recon you would've regretted letting it go .
Keep rolling !
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5062 on: October 17, 2014, 05:20:02 pm
Scotty Brown:
I am afraid that if it get it up there and on the center stand I won't be able to rock it onto the tires without the stand skidding and me falling down.  I am ten years older than you and not very strong anymore. Advice is needed, or encouragement, or perhaps a parking attendant.

I bolted a rubber door mat to the area for the center stand. Works great. Some have used plywood.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5063 on: October 17, 2014, 06:27:43 pm
Craig,  This may seem like a dumb question but here goes.  I also have one of the big red lifts that I used on my smaller Yamaha dirt bike which worked fine as it did not have a center stand.  Now that I have the Enfield I am afraid that if it get it up there and on the center stand I won't be able to rock it onto the tires without the stand skidding and me falling down.  I am ten years older than you and not very strong anymore. Advice is needed, or encouragement, or perhaps a parking attendant.  Getting old stinks, but I'm still glad to be here !
Hey Scotty Brown, I am afraid of heights, & have very bad knees, but have been wheeling(pushing) motorcycles into tight corners all my long adult life. Right now I'm parking my G5 Deluxe on my big red lift. I have the front wheel stop set so the center stand comes down just in front of the trapdoor. Standing on the lift with both feet on the left side of the bike, I am still able to put the stand down with my right foot, press on it & heave it back on its stand with the lifting loop. There is an uncertain moment while I'm balancing the bike standing on my left leg reaching for the stand with my right - but the second the stand touches the lift it becomes stable. Some people have used gum back 3M sandpaper safety strips under where the stand sets, but mine is naked to clean up grease & dirt best. I've never even had a close call putting the bike on this way.   Hope that helps
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5064 on: October 18, 2014, 03:20:59 am
I almost got hit again within five hundred feet of where I was hit a couple weeks ago!

Just like last time, I stopped at a crosswalk in front of a local college, but this time I was watching behind me, and this car was just not slowing down! I rode right up next to the curb so the car could at least swerve around me, but at the last second, the car stopped.

I'm praying for good weather through next week. After my car got totaled last week, I'm kind of at Minnesota's mercy... Things should turn around next Saturday though.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5065 on: October 18, 2014, 03:30:58 am
You need a brake light flasher module my friend.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5066 on: October 18, 2014, 11:50:25 am
I'm praying for good weather through next week. After my car got totaled last week, I'm kind of at Minnesota's mercy... Things should turn around next Saturday though.

yeah, don't worry chum... summer's coming!  ;)

You need a brake light flasher module my friend.

And a brighter light to go with it?

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5067 on: October 18, 2014, 05:09:59 pm
Ha, next Saturday is the day I should be back behind the wheel of a car. As far as I know, next Sunday we'll get a foot of snow, and then the following monday it'll be 80 degrees. This state doesn't make any damn sense.

I've got a larger brake light on there. The dealership didn't have the stock C5 light, so I've got this big, blocky taillight. Brake flasher might not be a bad idea...
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5068 on: October 18, 2014, 06:46:06 pm
Might want to do an LED bulb too.  They go in and off more sharply tha an incandescent, can be a bit more visible.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5069 on: October 18, 2014, 08:21:51 pm
Might want to do an LED bulb too.  They go in and off more sharply tha an incandescent, can be a bit more visible.

Although... some guys have complained that there isn't enough difference between the tail and brake light brightness.  Personally, I don't have a problem with my LED tail/brake light.  But I haven't been hit from behind, either...  :-\