Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855525 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4950 on: September 17, 2014, 03:59:46 pm
Thanks Craig!

Actually, I have the same seat on my B5.  NorEaster and I were comparing bikes side-by-side when he still had the OEM seat on his C5, so I was wondering how he found it changed his ride...

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4951 on: September 17, 2014, 05:27:27 pm
Hey Mattsz,
I am getting used to the Lycett seat. It is conforming its shape to me. There is a visible change to the top contour of the seat after I get off the bike. It does have a slightly different angle in that the stock springs, used with that seat, give a slightly higher level to the rear of the seat.
The OEM seat sits much more level. If it were a bother to someone they could get a lower set of springs for the assembly.
Given the more narrow nose of the seat, I do note a bigger difference in when I am standing with the bike or resting at a stop.
1. the nose does seem a tad lower than the stock solo providing the feeling of being more flat footed when straddling the bike
2. the more narrow nose allows the leg to pass through that area closer

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4952 on: September 18, 2014, 12:15:37 am
Another tube failure. I really suck at this.  :o 

I give. Time to let the professionals put the damn thing on.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4953 on: September 18, 2014, 12:26:56 am

Bummer.     :-\     Tubes can be tricky, I've pinched quite a few myself but haven't in a while.  The last one I pinched was on my YZ125 race bike.  It let loose as I was hammering up a hill with a step, I aired the step and when I came down it blew and sent me off of the trail full throttle.  That was a bitch trying the push the bike out of the weeds and up the rest of the hill.  Banged up my leg pretty good too.  I started paying a lot closer attention to my tire installs after that.    ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4954 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:21 am

This is one job I'm always willing to pay someone to do, such a pain on the C5.  I ditched the tire irons from the factory tool kit, utterly useless.  Then you get the job done only to find you pinched the tube.  Arrggghhhhh!  I feel your pain man.

Scott

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4955 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56:56 am
Thanks for the solidarity, fellas. I even bought a nice set of tire levers, too... It mostly annoys me to spend the money on what should be a simple job but, in the end, I suppose it's worth the peace of mind. Flatting in the middle of a hard turn was, well, not fun. No interest in repeating that experiment.

What makes me most annoyed is that it held air overnight after my install without any fluctuation. Held air for a 20 mile ride, then when I went back out at the end of the day after it had been parked, it was completely flat. GRrrrrrrrrr!
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4956 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:12 am
Did you remember to coat the tube and tire in baby powder?  I find it helps to inflate the new tube slightly to where it just starts to take form before stuffing it in the tire too.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Pongo

• Neophyte
Reply #4957 on: September 18, 2014, 01:30:54 am
Got to change the clutch cable after almost 7,000 mi. I'm quite thankful that it gave out in my garage & not 100 mi from home, and I'm thankful that RE has the foresight to give you spare parts with the bike...like a clutch cable!
Pongo
~not all who wander are lost.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4958 on: September 18, 2014, 02:14:16 am
Did you remember to coat the tube and tire in baby powder?  I find it helps to inflate the new tube slightly to where it just starts to take form before stuffing it in the tire too.

Thanks (many thanks!) to your note about this last time, I DID in fact use the talc this time. I really thought I did it right this time..... Oh well.

REG5

• Scooter
Reply #4959 on: September 18, 2014, 02:31:15 am
I'm waiting on a fuel pump, so my bike is currently in a few pieces. I took this opportunity to take care of a few things I've been thinking about.

found the source of intermittent ignition issue

Replaced the broken bolt to one of my rear foot pegs and the pinch bolt on the front fork that sheared off a couple days ago.

I removed the front fender just to see how it would look. It turns out the four bolts securing it sheared, so it looks like I'm running that look until I buy some easy-outs haha.

I also debated whether or not to flip the bars...I did it. Without too much trouble. The most time was spent filing down that pesky little knob on the throttle control. I used 3M tape to keep the throttle control in place until it proves to be insufficient. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

RE as a primary mode of transportation was a dubious choice.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4960 on: September 18, 2014, 04:35:49 am
I even bought a nice set of tire levers, too.

Me too!  They made a nice gift to my mechanic.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4961 on: September 18, 2014, 11:06:24 am

found the source of intermittent ignition issue

In the photo it looks like dirt and corrosion.  Is there definitely a loose connection, though?  It isn't easy to see from the photo.  I've had stuff looking far worse than that work perfectly.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

REG5

• Scooter
Reply #4962 on: September 18, 2014, 04:03:16 pm
In the photo it looks like dirt and corrosion.  Is there definitely a loose connection, though?  It isn't easy to see from the photo.  I've had stuff looking far worse than that work perfectly.

I cleaned up the corrosion with some C3H8O, and I resoldered all the connections. Works like a charm now.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4963 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:33 pm
Put some dielectric grease or vasoline in there to keep the corrosion away.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

REG5

• Scooter
Reply #4964 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:02 am
Put some dielectric grease or vasoline in there to keep the corrosion away.
Bare

I will next time I'm in the nacelle. The G5 is back in business by the way. The pump works well. As a preventative measure, I added a cap of sea foam when I added fuel today. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:33:03 am by REG5 »