Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855428 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4935 on: September 15, 2014, 03:36:19 am
Nice to know that there's a 2011 B5 that can manage it...

She's been a pretty solid steed thus far. Foibles that have occurred were of my own doing. Keeping the chain lubed and properly tensioned, and the oil level right, along with a clear preference for non-ethanol premium are really her only substantial requests. I've worn out my rear tire, currently applying an ostrich approach to that one.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4936 on: September 15, 2014, 03:47:34 am
Did about 120 miles today and checked out the bikes for the Vintage Motorcycle Cannonball Run.  I'm not sure how many bikes were on the ride but the highest number plate that I saw was 114.  I killed my phone battery taking pics and videos.  Bike was running goofy, I'll sort that tomorrow.  But overall it was a really awesome time, I even got to meet Kevin Bean're.  He complimented me on my restoration of the Blackhawk, actually we talked for a bit about it.  It was really cool.  I didn't realize it Pikes Peak Harley Davidson where we were at has a small bike museum upstairs.  I was blown away to not only see a bunch of Indians and old Harleys, but they even had a '55 Enfield/Indian but also a '63 Interceptor!  I'll post some pics tomorrow morning.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4937 on: September 15, 2014, 04:28:23 am
Being a bit under the weather, I only looked longingly at my bike through the bedroom window.

I also ordered the Lycett style saddle and pillion from Nfieldgear because I freaking wanted them.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4938 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:46 am
Sadly let her sit while I took the car, feeling sick and crappy weather, sadly last weekend was amazing weather but I was too busy to get a ride in :(
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4939 on: September 16, 2014, 01:09:16 am
I put the Lycett Saddle on my C5 today that I ordered from NFG.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/seats/lycett-style-saddle-seat.html
Looks like it was something that someone may have originally ordered and returned, as there was a circular paint rub on the hole to be used to mount the rear spring for my C5, and not all of the parts that were pictured on the instruction sheet were there. As a result, I had to run to the hardware store and get a few bolts, locknuts and washers so that I could complete the job. Overall, it was a fairly easy project but would have been better if all the needed parts were included.  :(
It feels different from the OEM and is much narrower in the front. It s also about 2" shorter as well. It is a stiffer seat than the original. Probably a better option would be to have the original reupholstered to look more similar to the Lycett by the use of stitching and rivets. Because it has a much more narrow nose and more of a radius to flare out to the back, it does reveal more of the area normally hidden and protected under the OEM seat. I think I will need to fabricate some type of battery cover as the saddle exposes more to the elements.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:12:26 am by NorEaster »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4940 on: September 16, 2014, 01:29:07 am
Noreaster - what's happening just above your circle, next to the forward-most rivet?  Is that cover torn?

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4941 on: September 16, 2014, 02:08:19 am
Mattsz,
That picture is grabbed from the product description page at NFG.com. By the time I got mine swapped, it was too dark to get any pics.
The is a triangular seam on the seat there and the one in the picture looks like it has some fraying of the vinyl.
The one on my bike seems fine as far as the quality of the vinyl is concerned.
I'll try to get pics of mine after work tomorrow.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4942 on: September 16, 2014, 03:01:56 am
She's been a pretty solid steed thus far. Foibles that have occurred were of my own doing. Keeping the chain lubed and properly tensioned, and the oil level right, along with a clear preference for non-ethanol premium are really her only substantial requests. I've worn out my rear tire, currently applying an ostrich approach to that one.

Well, this was oddly prescient. Today I left my Enfield in a pull off by a river to convalesce for the night. I'm gonna go ahead and suggest against the ostrich approach to dealing with tire wear. Today, on my ride home, in the tightest turn of the one set of S-curves on my route, my too-thin tire let go. Two full rear end slides later, I was beside the road doing this....

It ought to look more like this:

Yup, still an idiot...... Looks like I'll be hunting for a tire tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:14:58 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4943 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:43 am
Today, on my ride home, in the tightest turn of the one set of S-curves on my route, my too-thin tire let go.

Did your sphincter let go a bit too?

Glad it didn't end badly!!

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4944 on: September 16, 2014, 02:10:18 pm
Did your sphincter let go a bit too?

Glad it didn't end badly!!
Thanks, me too! It was certainly a little unnerving, but actually, I have to say it was relatively undramatic considering I was in a full drift into the opposite lane...twice.

When the rear let go, it just slid progressively, and I was able to stick with it and recover it. I tried to get it back into the turn lightly to stay in my lane through the turn and not drift farther into the opposite lane, but it let right go again. Since I could see the oncoming lane was clear, I just straightened it up and rode it out to the pull off on the opposite side of the road after the curve. Apparently my days of skidding my bicycle as a kid paid off? Really, I was just plain lucky.  :-)

Also, I credit the Enfield for being a stable, well handling, predictable bike, and one that does not encourage (or enable) me to ride at silly speeds. This would have been a different experience at 50+ instead of 35-40.   

Called around to every bike shop in the area to see what they had for tires in stock. A couple Dunlop 404s, a Tourance, and an Anakee, all over $130 each! Yowsa. Found a Shinko 712 at the local RE dealer for $70, and finally got the local big dealer to price match an internet shipped price on a Pirelli MT66. So much for my plans to go with Shinko 705s. Oh well. That's what I get for the ostrich method...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:37:07 pm by lemming »

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4945 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:16 pm
Got a couple of pics of my bike with the Lycett style seat on.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4946 on: September 16, 2014, 11:50:10 pm
That looks really sweet.  That's a great color for a vintage look and the super clean install just makes it even better.

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4947 on: September 17, 2014, 03:53:13 am
I finally bought the Florida Tag for my 2010 G5 Deluxe. It is the newest vehicle I own, but was cheapest to tag here. Our Cars were each taxed $400. one time entry tax here.  It almost seems they encourage folks to use motorcycles, because they make it much easier financially to do so. They also said "under Florida law" - they weren't interested in seeing any proof of motorcycle insurance. I asked if that meant you didn't need it & got NO REPLY - Weird.
I am so ready to ride. However; all the geriatric snowbird moron drivers are arriving, & traffic volume has over doubled, I will need to learn back roads.
  This is the first year I've got a DISABLED motorcycle plate. It is a fact that I ride as good as ever & much better than I walk. guess I've paid my dues, & will enjoy that plate..
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4948 on: September 17, 2014, 11:26:12 am
Got a couple of pics of my bike with the Lycett style seat on.

I hear what you're saying about the seat, but you gotta love how it looks!

How do you find the no-padding comfort and ride position?  Dos it mount at a drastically different angle?

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4949 on: September 17, 2014, 03:21:14 pm
I hear what you're saying about the seat, but you gotta love how it looks!

How do you find the no-padding comfort and ride position?  Dos it mount at a drastically different angle?
Hey Matt, I also have one of these on my G5 deluxe (front & rear pad both) Because the G5 has taller wheels it's a little farther from the ground. The seat isn't as soft as the foam bench seat, but does give a firmly planted glued to the bike feeling. There are plenty of springs both within the saddle & beneath to soak up all the bumps. I think it is more comfortable than the padded steel pan solo seats I've ridden, as it seems able to conform to the riders anatomy. It's a keeper for me
Best Wishes, Craig McClure