Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855571 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4515 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:11 am
Got stranded again.
Fired up, backfired and sprag shat itself.
I didnt even use the electric starter! I never do.
Ive had this bike for 2 months and it looks like a month of that is broken down, I am the master of shit luck, dont know why i bother anymore.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

ruufman58

• Scooter
Reply #4516 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:35 pm
Installed the efi silencer from nfield.Sweet sound and just a little louder.Maybe as loud as a stock Harley with a hole or two in the baffle.
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4517 on: May 30, 2014, 12:48:16 am
Got mine on May 1. Yesterday hit 1000 miles! Before my plate came I had an "interesting" conversation with a cop on a BMW. He had a real hard time with the concept that a new vehicle wouldn't have a license plate. "Royal Enfield... Who makes that?" "Royal Enfield" "Yeah, but who makes it?" "Royal Enfield since 1901" "Never heard of it" It went downhill from there. Anyway, got my plate and painted it black/yellow like the early '60s. That's really going to mess with them. Next year, California is supposed to issue "vintage" plates if they get enough people to pre-order. I'm just ahead of the crowd.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4518 on: May 30, 2014, 01:15:37 am
What did I do to my RE today?
I lubed the clutch cable.  It didn't take long and on a UCE it's easy to do with a 6 or 8 inch adjustable wrench, a squirt can of oil and a little time. 
Don't even have to loosen or readjust any nuts or settings. :)

For you people new to the RE UCE's, to loosen the cable, find the clutch lever on the top of the left hand engine side case.
Put your adjustable wrench with its side face resting on the boss on both sides of the lever and adjust it so it fits snugly on it.
Keeping the wrench flat against the top of the boss, turn the wrench about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise.
Holding things in this position, flip the sheet metal yoke that holds the end of the cable with your finger so the enlarged end of the cable will slide out of the yoke's slot.
Relax and remove the wrench.

At the hand grip end, pull the cable a bit out of the casquette and move it forward and outward so the inner cable is pointing in the same direction the motorcycle is pointed.  It will now slide easily downward out of the handgrip.
Slide the little rubber seal away from the metal end of the cable and pump some oil into the open area where the inner cable enters the outer cable.
Sooner or later, some oil will start to drip out of the cable down at the engine.

To reassemble everything, just reverse all of the above directions.  There is a plastic strip on the grip end of the cable that needs to be in place.  It looks like a thin piece of black plastic and it goes between the cable end and the aluminum handgrip to provide lubrication.  Make sure it didn't fall off while you were working.

No need to readjust anything but while your futzing with it, it's a good time to check the cable adjustment.

The grip should move about 1/8" to 3/16" before it starts to activate the clutch. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:20:30 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4519 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:46 am
Just did my 7th commute ending in triple digit temperature.

I think I'm going to have to save my riding for nights and early mornings until it cools of near the end of September  :-\

Part of the trade-off for being able to ride during the winter I suppose...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:36:39 am by azcatfan »
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4520 on: June 02, 2014, 04:09:13 am
Went to a friend's place (he knows from wrenches), did my first oil change since I acquired my fair Tonks and tensioned the chain. 6 slots on the snail!!!! I was, ahem , a touch out of spec before the tensioning.....

Tonks is a much happier girl. Purred all the way home from my friends house.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4521 on: June 02, 2014, 11:48:06 am
Just wondering, Lemming... does your bike change color?

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4522 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:50 pm
She does seem a bit blue about the gills, as it were.... ;-)

Actually, one of those shade-changing paint schemes would fit quite nicely, wouldn't it?

Also pulled the plug to check it while we were futzing about...has an NGK R plug, clean as a whistle.

The oil screen was rather full of metal shavings and such, as well as a couple small bits of plastic. With 9600 miles on the clock, should I still be seeing...or, maybe more appropriately, is it normal for REs to be seeing such flotsam and jetsam?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:33:56 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #4523 on: June 02, 2014, 03:53:40 pm
Stopped by the local (~100 miles away) RE dealership while out for a ride on Saturday... just to check in/look around... and ended up significantly poorer than when I went in.  ;D

They ended up having a bunch of things in stock that I wanted to have done eventually, and I ended up with them all, including:

- EFI muffler (replacing stock torpedo)... this showed significant 'golding' and 'blueing' after riding just the 100 miles home. Normal?  The bike showed significantly more comfort at higher speeds than with the torpedo, but I'm still getting used to the MUCH louder 'blat' at higher revs.

- 7" headlight conversion.... I really like the look and the increased light. It's pointed a bit too high, however. Any suggestions on adjusting this non-adjustable setup down a tad?

- 'Airfly' engine guard/crashbar (http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/body/airfly-engine-guard.html) This looks surprisingly good on the bike, but I'm still not positive about it for the long-term.

Also had a chain adjustment and oil change done while they had it.

EDIT: Also... forgot to mention... the 100-mile ride home had much less vibration overall (and specifically at the handlebars)! I'm thinking it had to be an effect of the crashbar mounting/attachments, but am not positive. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:33:39 pm by jkrobin »
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4524 on: June 02, 2014, 04:01:31 pm
Stopped by the local (~100 miles away) RE dealership while out for a ride on Saturday... just to check in/look around... and ended up significantly poorer than when I went in.  ;D

They ended up having a bunch of things in stock that I wanted to have done eventually, and I ended up with them all, including:

- EFI muffler (replacing stock torpedo)... this showed significant 'golding' and 'blueing' after riding just the 100 miles home. Normal?  The bike showed significantly more comfort at higher speeds than with the torpedo, but I'm still getting used to the MUCH louder 'blat' at higher revs.

- 7" headlight conversion.... I really like the look and the increased light. It's pointed a bit too high, however. Any suggestions on adjusting this non-adjustable setup down a tad?

- 'Airfly' engine guard/crashbar (http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/body/airfly-engine-guard.html) This looks surprisingly good on the bike, but I'm still not positive about it for the long-term.

Also had a chain adjustment and oil change done while they had it.

EDIT: Also... forgot to mention... the 100-mile ride home had much less vibration overall (and specifically at the handlebars)! I'm thinking it had to be and effect of the crashbar mounting/attachments, but am not positive. Thoughts?

Pics? Would love to see it all together.....

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #4525 on: June 02, 2014, 05:29:43 pm
Pics? Would love to see it all together.....

Lemming: here are three pics showing the upgrades discussed (EFI muffler, crashbar, 7" headlight):

2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4526 on: June 02, 2014, 05:47:37 pm
Thanks, looks great!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4527 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:29 pm
The oil screen was rather full of metal shavings and such, as well as a couple small bits of plastic. With 9600 miles on the clock, should I still be seeing...or, maybe more appropriately, is it normal for REs to be seeing such flotsam and jetsam?

That sounds like a first-oil-change find, or maybe a second.  You got that bike used, didn't you?  Do you know its maintenance history?  I wonder if perhaps that screen wasn't properly removed and cleaned during previous oil changes?

By my third oil change, the magnets in the plugs had some minute "filings" clumped together, but the screen was basically clean. 

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4528 on: June 02, 2014, 07:18:31 pm
Both incandescent tiger eyes burned out. Replaced with amber LEDs from superbright.
Sorry pic is on Photobucket, but I'm having issues posting to here.  >:(
Next up are the speedo LEDs.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4529 on: June 02, 2014, 08:14:47 pm
That sounds like a first-oil-change find, or maybe a second.  You got that bike used, didn't you?  Do you know its maintenance history?  I wonder if perhaps that screen wasn't properly removed and cleaned during previous oil changes?

By my third oil change, the magnets in the plugs had some minute "filings" clumped together, but the screen was basically clean.
The local RE dealer (not the dealer I bought it from) told me it was well maintained, but I do not have the actual records. I am wondering also if it were maintained elsewhere and the screen was just never cleaned out. There was a fair amount of stuff in there. We will see what it looks like at the next oil change, which at current pace should be mid-July.