Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855233 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2145 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:33 pm
I'm glad you're ok hobby! That's scary stuff! I may have to rethink my half-helmet.

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #2146 on: September 17, 2012, 11:26:01 pm
Hobbydad. Glad to hear you walked away from that one. With luck your memory will return. Had a hard wreck back in '72 , for more than 4 months I had no clue how it happened. Which resulted in a careless driving conviction (this was in the UK), can't defend yourself if all you remember is leaving town and awaking in the hospital and a very fuzzy image of PC plod in the ambulance asking me if I was ok. Now I remember 90% of the events including demolishing the wood and cement bench seat at the side of the highway (me not the bike). But like me your first concern was your bike , we are strange creatures are we not , us bikers?
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2147 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:20 pm
Hobbydad
Glad your OK after your misfortune and thankful that your new helmet did its job.

I still have my old Arai helmet with the forward area above my left eye ground off by the pavement just to remind me of the thousands of miles of riding we did and then it doing its job of keeping me in one piece.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2148 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:04 am
just got back to the forum after the weekend.

glad to hear you are ok and the helmet did it's job.
sorry about the bike it looked like you were about done with your mods and the bike was really shaping up.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #2149 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:30 am
I planned on keeping my helmet too as a reminder. It looks perfect from the front until you turn it around and see the back. Deep gouges into the shell, and the upper rear vents are destroyed.

The owner at the Cafe Racer shop offered to do the appraisal if the insurance company didnt do it correctly, I know he would at least get it right with all the aftermarket parts, ect.. He even offered to tow it to his shop for me. Very nice group of guys up there.
'11 C5 Military

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2150 on: September 18, 2012, 12:51:57 am
Damn. Sorry to hear about that, Hobbydad. Glad to see you're doing well. Good luck with your health and also the bike.

@jartist
That's why I bought a full-face helmet, you never know what is going to happen. :/ Safety first.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2151 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:25 am
That's why I bought a full-face helmet, you never know what is going to happen.

+1

Glad to read you survived more-or-less intact, Hobbydad. Bikes can always be fixed or replaced. Skulls? Not nearly as easily...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #2152 on: September 18, 2012, 04:50:37 am
Yeah, when I was talking with my kids and explaining that my new helmet was toast, they asked if I was upset. I told them if anyone that ever crashed without a helmet was asked, "Would you pay $500 to have your brains back?", they would all gladly reply "Yes!". As I said before, it was the best $500 I've ever spent.
'11 C5 Military

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2153 on: September 18, 2012, 06:03:45 am
I'm glad you're ok hobby! That's scary stuff! I may have to rethink my half-helmet.

I tend to only wear my open face around town, where if anything the extra visibility could be a safety bonus, and i am rarely doing more than 25 - 30 mph.

One important point with an open face is NEVER wear cheap sunglasses or goggles that will shatter when hit by a flying rock or in a fall. its not worth digging glass/plastic fragments out of your eyes just to look cool. Wear protective eye gear that actually protects.

On the open road and highway I am inclined to wear the full face. Firstly its more practical in terms of wind noise and cold. Secondly when things do go wrong at 60-70 mph you will probably need all the protection you can get.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:07:24 am by GlennF »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2154 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:20 pm
Glenn, I respect the right of each rider to make their own choices on what level of risk they choose to take on when they ride BUT even at 25-30mph face vs. asphalt only ends one way.  If you want to wear an open face helmet that's totally your choice, but please be aware of the risk you are taking.

Scott

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2155 on: September 18, 2012, 06:57:13 pm
i am a msf rider coach.
we had a female in class lock up the front wheel going about 5 mph and do a face plant. she carved up the left side of the helmet, mid face shield to about where her ear was, petty good. if she was not wearing her full face helmet and leather jacket she would have been scarred...luckily he was uninjured...except for a couple of bruises.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2156 on: September 18, 2012, 11:12:01 pm
..................face vs. asphalt only ends one way. .............

Amen, brother.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2157 on: September 19, 2012, 06:46:50 pm
Hobbydad,
Glad to know that you are ok and came out of it without much injuries - it is pretty scary to realize what you went through. The motorbike, helmet and rest of the accessories can be replaced any time; also good to know that you have a good shop to verify the insurance company's assessment.
All this while (put about 6000 miles on RE) I have been riding with an open face (Fulmer) with Visor. I am going to get a good full face helmet (even though it doesn't match well the RE style) and even if it costs around half a grand. Will get one for my wife too as we do 2 up riding quite often. Not sure which model that would match RE's vintage look and yet be full face...

I hope the other rider is ok and out of danger.

Take it easy and have a good day!

Be safe

Sajiv
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:49:18 pm by eda1bulletc5 »
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

Roch48

• Scooter
Reply #2158 on: September 19, 2012, 08:43:57 pm

Finished mounting up the saddle and pillion I ordered. They went on fairly easily. I made a custom bracket for the front pivot (the one it came with is tall and ugly). The rear went on fairly easily as well. total holes drilled = 2.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2159 on: September 19, 2012, 09:45:55 pm
All this while (put about 6000 miles on RE) I have been riding with an open face (Fulmer) with Visor. I am going to get a good full face helmet (even though it doesn't match well the RE style) and even if it costs around half a grand.

There is no need to spend 1/2 Grand on a helmet. Most studies show that the high dollar helmets, ie Arai, Shoei, etc, (Snell Approved) do not offer any more protection than any other DOT approved helmet. In fact, some studies show that Snell approved helmets can actually cause more harm because they are more aimed at high speed crashes and not giving enough on low speed crashes. Snell is apparently backing off some of the limits that were on the '05 ratings as they made the helmets too hard.
I have owned them all but seem to have used the low end stuff when I really whacked my head, Nolan, AGV, which took good care of me in a couple of over the bar antics, one face plant, the Nolan, and one landing square on the head, the AGV. I have gotten off quite well just by having the helmet on. I don't think I have visibly damaged a helmet in any other get off other than a slight scratch, at most. I guess my butt weighs more than my head as that is where I usually end up sliding.
The worst head beating I ever took was with no helmet on with my head sticking out of a Bonanza door as I slid upside down down a freeway, thinking, "Where is my helmet when I really need it?!" Even a porridge pot would have saved my a few scars, however a fullface would have been nice.
At any rate a Bell Apex for a couple of hundred bucks will serve you well, if fit fits your head, as with many others in that price range. The biggest trick is to find one that fits you properly, whatever the price range. The biggest difference between the low cost and expensive stuff is the is the comfort and weight. But they are not all created equal, either. I found the Arai to be pretty heavy compared to the Shoei, the Bell fell somewhat in between. The upper level helmets tend to be put together a bit better as far as padding fit and such goes, and they generally maybe a little quieter. However, for $4 or 500 more, the difference isn't worth it. I would never buy an expensive helmet again. Besides they are a much bigger target for thieves.
At any rate, broaden your horizons, but don't totally discount the low priced spreads. They may impress you more than you think. I still have in my garage, a Shoei, Bell Apex, the one I wear if it's full face weather, Bell 500, HJC front flipping helmet, noisy and heavy,  a Fulmer open face, which is the one I usually wear, with goggles, and a Davida porridge pot, my favorite, an HCI porridge pot, horrible.
My personal choice for most riding is the Fulmer as it gives my more visibility than the full face helmet, and let vanity begin here, it fits teh bike. If I were riding some other nondescript motorcycle, I'd probably be wearing the Bell Apex or maybe the Shoei. It's lighter and quieter. And quite old.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com