Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855508 times)

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #2010 on: August 18, 2012, 10:02:05 pm
I finally have all the work I started on last fall sorted out.  Several issues with mistakes, painters, back ordered parts, on and on but now she is all one color, has new head light, breather, electric clean up, solo and passenger seats, license plate, relocated turn signals (front and back), larger sprocket, new seals, and I'm sure some other things that I forgot.

The thing I learned is it is always best to do it yourself even if you have to do it multiple times.  Dang painter!

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #2011 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:19 am
Added new, heavier bar-end weights...my scale said the stock weights were .48lbs, and the new ones are .98lbs. I originally ordered them because they have a groove where crg bar-end mirrors will fit, but the added weight actually did wonders to smooth out the vibrations i guess i had simply gotten used to in the bars; it's night and day vs. how the bars vibrated before the new weights.
Unfortunately, the crg's do not fit in the grove on the weight because the diameter is too thick, but i think w/ longer mounting hardware for the mirror i can get it to work; but even if it doesn't, still happy with the purchase considering how much smoother the ride is.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2012 on: August 20, 2012, 06:08:21 am
Well....  It wasn't me, but it was my C5...

My housekeeper, Erin, had taken Fiona into the dealership in Hastings for Her 500km First Oil Change and Check-Up, you may recall.  Well, Erin brought Fiona home yesterday afternoon, but because she had forgotten my bike shed key at her house, she wound up taking Fiona to her house that afternoon, intending to take Fiona home to my house this morning.  That was the plan, anyway...

This morning, Erin was riding Fiona from her place between Haslett and Williamston to my house between Dewitt and Lansing, some 15 miles or so, through some wooded, rural roadways. At one point, Erin spotted our evil nemesis in the roadway ahead: A whitetail deer.  Erin slowed down to a stop and waited for the deer to get the hell out of the way, but the deer "seemed confused..."

Then a car crested the hill just behind the deer, spooking it. It proceeded to spring away to "Safety," as only a startled whitetail deer can spring (can I get an "amen," Midwesterners?), but sadly, it sprung straight into Erin and Fiona, knocking them both over onto the right side, smashing the bike into the cement curb...

On waking up, out here in San Francisco, I found an email from Erin, asking when I would not be working in the theatre today and telling me she needed to speak to me "about something"....  I'm glad she's okay, but I'm pretty beat up over Fiona's scarring.  Here's hoping the insurance adjuster does the Right Thing.  Hell, it's still a practically-brand-new bike; he better not try low-balling me on parts.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:10:35 am by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2013 on: August 20, 2012, 06:09:23 am
More damage to Fiona...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2014 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:18 am
crashbars ...

they save a lot of grief

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #2015 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:51 am
More damage to Fiona...

Ouch!! I feel your pain. And crashbars are something I am considering as well.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2016 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:56 am
Oh man.  >:(   :(
I can relate, but damn! Sorry about that. Hopefully everything will be sorted out soon.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #2017 on: August 20, 2012, 11:45:48 am
More damage to Fiona...

Wow, quite a bit of damage from a 0 mph crash.  Let us know how you make out with the Insurance company.

My 30 mile commute to work was uneventful but noticablly darker and cooler here in Vermont.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2018 on: August 20, 2012, 01:51:49 pm
Ugg, I can't imagine a worse feeling than crashing someone elses nearly new bike...

Went online and checked the tracking info on my new Megaphone muffler.. It will be in Tuesday so hopefully  I can get the 95 on the road before going out of town next week....  Delays, delays...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:02:47 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2019 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:59 pm
My throttle was getting a bit sticky on our last ride, so I split the throttle box to lube the cable and found the cable had a broken strand, so I gotta replace the cable. I got it all part yesterday morning then had to go out, so I'm putting it all back together today.
How come, every time I have to take the tank off, it's full. PITA.
Bare
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:06:36 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2020 on: August 21, 2012, 06:31:14 am
Wow, quite a bit of damage from a 0 mph crash.  Let us know how you make out with the Insurance company.

The adjuster rang me up early this morning (I think he didn't realize I was three time zones behind him) and we talked for almost a half-hour. I've insured various bikes with Progressive for nigh on thirty years with nary a claim, so they got on with me straightaway.  He did say that he had very little NADA or Kelly Blue Book data about Royal Enfields, in fact he had never even heard of one before this morning, but he seemed pretty open to learning some new-old bike lore, and even asked me what the company history was (which i was only too happy to impart to him).  Their appraiser was supposed to contact my housekeeper Erin by the end-of-business tomorrow and set up an appointment to look at the bike.

I have instructed her to not let anyone try to low-ball the repairs, or try to get her to take the bike to any place other than one of the two RE dealerships in Michigan - I will not allow some numbnuts to learn about Royal Enfields by twiddling around with my Fiona (and "twiddling" was most assuredly *not* the word I used with the appraiser). I want the repairs done right, the first time, even if I won't be riding Fiona for a year or two. Hell, She's still practically brand-stinkin'-new.

On the subject of crash bars and/or case guards, does anyone have a photo of the "airfly" guards installed on a Bullet? I've seen the diamond bars and the butterfly guards, but my Google-Fu fails miserably when trying to conjure up a photo of an installed Airfly guard.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #2021 on: August 21, 2012, 11:44:26 am
Off t a good start, here's hoping they do the right thing (I have Progressive also :-\).  Good Luck.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2022 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:06 pm
Didn't do it today but this past Sunday i went on a charity poker run organized by a local MC club to raise money for an injured Waterford MI police officer. We rode 140 + miles through 3 counties on a perfect summer day. I picked up with a group of 3 Harley's (oh why so loud?) and a nice 50Th Jubilee Bonnie. Renfield ran like a champ and didn't hold anyone up, as much as i could ask really. A fun time was had by all.
Robert & REnfield. 8) 8) 8).

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #2023 on: August 21, 2012, 03:09:07 pm
Finally ordered the Dynojet Power Commander, K&N Air Filter and other odds and ends for the bike. Now just waiting impatiently for it to arrive!!
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2024 on: August 23, 2012, 10:32:25 pm
I just finished installing a Hitchcocks EFI pipe on my G5. Having taken it on a couple of short test rides , without a doubt there is a favorable difference in torque and horsepower. Cracking the throttle , the bike really pulls alot better. Tomorrow morning Im off for my 160 mile loop to really check it out ! More to be revealed.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack