Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855505 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1875 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:18 pm
Fiona will be happy to see you when you come back Dave.

Oil change for mine, a few yards short of 10000 miles. Doing some touch up paint on some paint chips from passing salt trucks over the winter. I picked up some model paints that were on sale that seem to match.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #1876 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:36 pm
a little over 1300 miles and I lost my first nut.  Anybody know the specs on the exhaust manifold nut?  This is the one that attaches the exhaust to the jug...  Thanks in advance...
Chris

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1877 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:23 pm
The missing nut is a "Flanged Hex. Nut M8 X 1.25mm".

Today I rode about as carefully and quietly as possible.
Put-put-put, shift, put put put, shift, put put put..........
I'm betting my G5 was getting somewhere around 100 mpg.

Did you ever get miles away from home and reach for your wallet only to find that it wasn't there.  It was still back at home in your other pants pocket?

That's what happened to me today so on the return trip I accelerated slowly and as quietly as possible, never exceeded the posed speed limit by over 5 mph and kept my eyes open for the long arm of the law.
I'm happy to say I made it without being stopped along the way. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #1878 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:45 pm
Thanks Arizoni, I knew someone had the specs...
Chris

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #1879 on: July 24, 2012, 07:03:34 pm
Well guys I picked up the required nut and tightened everything down.  I am NEW to exhaust and must admit  I have no idea how the mystery works...  I did notice that the lower stud seems to be way out of the jug...  Am I just imagining things?  Does this look right?  I didn't feel any leaks but the bike seems to be louder and rougher than before I noticed the top nut had liberated itself.  Please see attached photos and advise on your thoughts...
Chris

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1880 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:05 pm
Here is a lot of play when the pipe is stuck into the head to make up for mounting differences. The gaskets are made to compress evenly, but not square, if that's required. If you're pipe is tight and not leaking, it must be right!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1881 on: July 24, 2012, 11:05:47 pm
The other day I picked up a little screw on the garage floor. I thought it might be the headlight rim screw, but that wasn't it.
I casually threw it p on my toolbox and kinda forgot about it.
Today, I went out and was just taking some random pictures of things that might be useful for the Phototag thread.
I took my helmet for a shot and the strap came off the goggles. It looked like a rivet had pulled out and I as going to be stuck riding home with no goggles. As I got what I thought was a river pushed back through the strap, I noticed the the "rivet" had threads in it.
I got the strap stuffed back into the goggles and kinda forced it down against the helmet. I put it back on and headed the few miles back to the house.
I had to dig around a bit to find that screw, but it was the one what came out of there.
Just another example of things that one isn't likely to be carrying tools, or parts, for on the road. The screw took a very fine bladed screwdriver which I didn't have with me, although there is one in my fanny pack. On the other hand, I still didn't have the part until I got home anyway.
As I mentioned on another thread, you'll never have everything you could need for all the possible things that can go wrong...go wrong...go wrong.
Just learn to improvise.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1882 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:51 pm
FiRE Comms:  Your exhaust studs and nuts look exactly like the ones on my UCE G5.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Oddjon

• Scooter
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
Reply #1883 on: July 25, 2012, 02:14:06 am
Installed chrome luggage rack/pannier brace.  From Nfield Gear.  Then hung out at the pub for "2 wheel Tuesday".  Still a touch confused as to where or how the black piece goes.
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1884 on: July 26, 2012, 01:22:39 am
Put a 18 tooth sprocket and a Tsubaki QR chain  on the 09 G5.
After I got done I took it over to a empty parking lot to let my kid ride it around. The starter relay took a dump over there. I replaced it with a relay from a early to mid 70s Honda. A direct even up install aside from the connector on the solenoid wires. Weighs double what the stock one does and is the same size.
Put a pair of Grab On grip covers on it too. I like the extra size and squishy feel of them.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #1885 on: July 26, 2012, 06:34:09 am
I tried to figure out why my starter decided to quit on me. It sounds like it can't "pop" out. The button works, starter makes a very strained sound, and then rapidly dims the lights. I put a volt meter on the battery to make sure it wasn't dead. I got my 12+ volts, hit the key/lights and it dropped to 11ish. Pushed the starter button and it strained down to 9 or so before I stopped. I started the bike with the first kick and blipped the throttle, meter jumped up to around 13-14. Maybe a solenoid, if there is such a thing on a bike?
'11 C5 Military

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1886 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:14 am
Do a search for solenoid and you'll get alot of hits. The solenoid has been discussed alot and you'll find some good info. However, if your starter is making noise it doesn't sound like the solenoid. On the uce there is a solenoid which is a type that of relay near the battery. The starter is not a Bendix type like a car where the gear engages the flywheel.  Instead there is a sprag clutch (do another search in this forum) which has pawls with a one way engagement.  Your bike should be new enough to have the improved sprag.  The first thing to try is to top off the battery and see if that helps. Are you still using the stock lead-acid battery?

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1887 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:39 am
Hobbydad, in your case, it looks like a weak battery......try to do this, in neutral, turn the ignition on, pull in the clutch, press the starter. If your bike starts, then its a week battery. If it still doesn't you may still try with a new battery before replacing the starter.. hope this works !
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:08:56 pm by BRADEY »

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1888 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:28 am
Another thing that you can try that I just remembered is to take out the headlight jumper to enable the headlight switch so that you can turn off the lights when you start the bike.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #1889 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:52 am
Yeah I can try that, I have the jumper out already, and I know the 7" light is a battery killer. I'll try each suggestion today, after I trickle charge the battery for a bit. I have a new battery on the list, but I thought I could make it to winter on the original. Bikes got 2200 miles on it since I bought it the end of March. If nothing works I'll just take it to the dealer, it's well within its warranty. Thanks guys.
'11 C5 Military