Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855267 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1605 on: May 21, 2012, 05:25:49 pm
WIshed mine were here with me. I was in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, missing my motorbike!
Went to Whitehorse Gear and picked up a couple of books to keep me from getting too lonely!
Went to the Enfield dealer in Pembroke so I could at least touch one!
Alas, I feel sooo lonely! :'(
There are sure a lot of Hogly Fergusens around here. I've seen a LOT of motorcycles motorcycles around here and I'd say over 95% of them have been Hardleys.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1606 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:32 pm
I was having a wonderful ride yesterday throughout the Lake Erie shoreline county roads and all. Headed back to the Windsor/Detroit area after a nice 300km's and rode straight into a hail storm. I knew there was a gas station just up two minutes ahead and was doing fine listening to the gumball sized hail peening off my helmet. One hit me square in the kiwi's. Need to get me a jock to carry in case of a similar event.  Made it to the gas station and hid out under the awning with a bunch of cars until the hail stopped.

No damage to the bike.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1607 on: May 22, 2012, 11:13:26 pm
 Mounted a new K70 on the rear of my G5. I had a K81 that was almost showing chord at only 4,000 miles on it. I expected it to last much longer than that. I hope I have better luck with the new one.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1608 on: May 23, 2012, 04:12:46 am
I trailored my  # 5 FIREBALL  home today because yesterday while riding i heard an awful noise and the bike locked up. i pulled the clutch and coasted into a friends driveway( really lucky here, as i live out in the sticks). the oil line had broken in two! i kicked the bike over and found that it was not locked up. ace cafe said that that happened to chumma but no damage was sustained to the lower end because the oil line only lubes the upper end. and that if there is oil still in the tank things might be ok. well there was only about 3/4 of an inch . i hope thats enough.I most likely will have to take another bike to the rallys.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1609 on: May 23, 2012, 01:44:02 pm
I had a K81 that was almost showing chord at only 4,000 miles on it.

Thanks for that bit of info. The K70s last just as long and are much cheaper!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #1610 on: May 23, 2012, 02:37:59 pm
OK, so recently, on my last few rides, I've been hearing a lot of squeaking whenever I hit the rear drum brakes. Any ideas on what to look for to fix myself short of taking into my dealer? Also, occasionally, my front disc brake is giving me some weird feedback and seems to be grabbing or just making a funny noise as if the pads are grabbing too hard or are worn out maybe. From looking at them everything seems OK. Any ideas on that one too? 
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1611 on: May 23, 2012, 05:11:39 pm
Thanks for that bit of info. The K70s last just as long and are much cheaper!
Bare
  I should have listened to you before. Hurry back, Angeles Crest is calling !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1612 on: May 23, 2012, 05:26:57 pm
OK, so recently, on my last few rides, I've been hearing a lot of squeaking whenever I hit the rear drum brakes. Any ideas on what to look for to fix myself short of taking into my dealer? Also, occasionally, my front disc brake is giving me some weird feedback and seems to be grabbing or just making a funny noise as if the pads are grabbing too hard or are worn out maybe. From looking at them everything seems OK. Any ideas on that one too?

On the rear, have you adjusted your chain recently?

On the front, sometimes disc brakes just need a fresh start.  They deposit a layer of brake material on the metal disc and it can get uneven.  Remove the pads and sand them on a flat glass plate with something like 220 grit just to break the glaze.  Get some brake cleaner and a genuine 3M green ScotchBrite pad and go to town on the disc, just scub it like mad.  You're looking to scrub off all the old brake material.  Once that's done button it all back up and find some open road.  Get up to about 50mph and do a hard stop down to about 10mph, then ride around a few minutes to cool.  Repeat 10 times and then ride around for a good while until the disc is totally cooled off.  Don't stop!  You want to get the disc hot enough to lay down a new even layer of brake material.  Stopping will make for uneven cooling and can warp the disc.  This is called "bedding in".

I would think this is all BS but I did it once on a set of Ducati rotors that I swore were warped and ready for the scrap pile.  They were perfect after this.

Scott

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #1613 on: May 23, 2012, 10:18:30 pm
Mounted my 1955 tax disc.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1614 on: May 24, 2012, 04:15:58 pm
Picked up a tank from a 1959 Hounds arrow.
After patching all the holes and fixing dents, it's about ready to line and paint.
just trying it on for size.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1615 on: May 24, 2012, 04:25:16 pm
OUTSTANDING BIKE!!!!  I love your mods!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1616 on: May 24, 2012, 04:53:19 pm
The tank going to look great painted...I'm assuming Green...I never seen a Indian Chief quite like that on a tank..Very nice indeed..
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1617 on: May 26, 2012, 05:28:31 pm
I received my Hagon Shocks, installed them and took them out for a short ride. Rather inconclusive, but they'll get a bit more of a workout tomorrow.
Also replaced my bashed in air cleaner cover,  so the bike is looking good again!.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

NikhilVT

• Scooter
Reply #1618 on: May 27, 2012, 12:52:38 am
Filled up gas!   ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1619 on: May 27, 2012, 05:32:21 am
Lubed my chain, filled my fuel tank and rode over to the weekly custom/collector car display.

A good looking young red headed girl was interested in my RE.  She said she loved the old British bikes and was riding a 2010 Bonneville.
She then bent over and pointed at the right side of my engine and asked, "What's this?"

"A kick starter" I replied.  "It has both electric starting and kick starting."
She thought that my RE was the neatest thing at the show and the kick starter was a great idea!   :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary