Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855504 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1275 on: January 01, 2012, 01:13:21 am
Went for the New Years Eve ride today with JackLeis, and Bikesnob7, the Three Bulleteers and Jim, The BMW guy. After the initial cold 17 miles to meet them, we headed for Pasadena for the meeting place, Burger Continental. The weather was warming nicely as we freewayed it to the restaurant,and we managed to get there early enough to score some decent parking places.  I wandered around checking the multitude of bikes, then went in with the guys for the buffet. I didn't partake as I ate before I left the  house, but it looked, and usually is, pretty good.
 We went back out and checked the later arrivals, then as the ride didn't officially start until 11:00, we decided to leave early and make it up Angeles Crest to Newcomb's Ranch before the mob got out there.
The weather was turning into a fantastical beautiful day with lot's of sunshine. The temps were starting to approach the too hot point for the gear we had on, so we headed up into the cooler climes. The road was beautiful, really clean and very light traffic. It's a beautiful road full of continuous sweeping curves that are perfectly matched to the Bullets performance and remain around the speed limit. We got passed by three or four other bikes on the way up. It was a bit chilly in a high area that was on the shady side of the mountain and but it was still warm enough to be enjoyable
We arrived at Newcomb's and noticed a group of European rider, Ducatis, etc had arrived before us, but there was plenty of room for the rest of the Norton Club and any other guys who had gone riding. Anyone who wasn't out riding today certainly was missing out on a great day! It was around 60 degrees at Newcombs.
The only other Enfield up there was an iron barrel bobber. I didn't see the owner, so know nothing about it
We hung around up there for a couple of hours checking out all the bikes that were there, probably 3 or 400. Bib, the Norton Club boss said it was the biggest turnout they'd had, and that ride is always popular.
We left a bit early to avoid the crowd heading back, and were treated with little traffic, so we could ride our own ride. It was a great day! 
Just one minor malfunction with the Bullets. My headlight fell out when the screw holding the rim came loose, but it was kind enough to hang by its wires until I noticed and stopped to put it up where it belonged and tightened the screw a bit better. I gotta look at that.
Wish you all were there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #1276 on: January 01, 2012, 06:33:06 am
Nice report... Sounds like a great day!

Is that a Bell Revolver helmet in the second picture? I've been wanting one of those but some reports say it's pretty noisy.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1277 on: January 01, 2012, 08:21:28 am
Nice report... Sounds like a great day!

Is that a Bell Revolver helmet in the second picture? I've been wanting one of those but some reports say it's pretty noisy.
  Yes, it was a great day ! And you sure have a good eye Alan. I just bought the Bell Rallye Revolver about a month ago and really like it. I read the poor reviews too and since the price was so reduced decided to get it anyway . Its not that bad. Some of guys reviewing it would probably whine about anything anyway. Its a helmet, your riding a motorcycle, your gonna have wind noise. The features and the value certainly outweigh the wind noise.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #1278 on: January 01, 2012, 08:43:21 pm
Cool, thanks Jack! They're under $100 at Cycle Gear now. My local CG doesn't have them in stock, though, nor anyone else that I know of. But I think they have a good return policy on orders. I'd prefer to try on helmets, but most places don't have a lot of selection.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1279 on: January 01, 2012, 09:30:02 pm
Motorcycle Super Store and Jafrum has a sale on them also. Mite want to check them out.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1280 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:53 am
I took a new year's ride with a friend.  Pretty good weather and a nice ride in the hills.  Last year was so cold we turned back after 10 minutes so this was a vast improvement.

Scott

Gregorin

• Scooter
  • My Baby.
Reply #1281 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:18 am
Just a sad look into it, because I'm sick. :'(

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1282 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:31 pm
Went on  the 50 mile ride to the shop yesterday, trying to run some more gas out of the tank before I filled it up after the Norton Club ride. When I left the shop I had about 200 miles out of the tank so I was going to wait until the light came on to gas up. I kept watching  for it and looking for a gas station in a decent neighborhood and kinda lost track of how many mile I had on it. I got to within 10 miles of home and the beast quit! I coasted into a shopping center parking lot and called triple A. They came and gave me a couple of gallons of gas. That's the first time I have ever used them.
I found out how far I could go on a tank of gas and the fact that my reserve light isn't working! 240 miles I got out of the tank of gas.
But it was a nice ride, a few miles on the freeway and some out through the cow country. The usual 20 miles of canyon riding. Man, I love this bike!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1283 on: January 05, 2012, 10:08:01 pm
At least Enfields do not have those dodgy car style fuel pumps lubricated by the gas in the tank that burn out if you ever run out of fuel.

Depending on how much gunk is in your tank you may want to run some injector cleaner though.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1284 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:36 pm
Oh, yes they do! That's what the low fuel light is actually for, to let you know to fill up, so you don't run out of gas! This is straight from Kevin.
I got off the road in short order and parked so apparently didn't have enough time to fry the pump. It started right up and made it home and did some running around today.
I don't think a six month old tank has much gunk in it. However I'm thinking about putting some MMO in it to clean out the combustion chamber.
Also R&Red the right switch box, bit of a PITA taking the throttle cables out. And cleaned the K&N. Not particularly dirty, but I was there, so do it all.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1285 on: January 06, 2012, 12:35:53 am
Went for a 105 mile ride in this unseasonal warm California weather. The bike ran like a top with the new silencer. The last time I went up Lone Pine Canyon I was watching barenkd pull away from me going up the grade. Quite the opposite this time , the bike never struggled and has so much more mid and top end torque I couldn't be happier ! Cant believe I had to pull over and take the liner out of my riding jacket , it was that warm in Wrightwood. All in all it was a great day on a great bike !

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1286 on: January 06, 2012, 08:49:17 pm
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1287 on: January 06, 2012, 09:40:10 pm
<moment of silence>

Ahem, so what are you getting next?

Scott

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1288 on: January 06, 2012, 10:37:56 pm
<moment of silence>

Ahem, so what are you getting next?

Scott

I'm torn between a T100 and a Concours 14.
Might just have to toss a coin and accept the results.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1289 on: January 06, 2012, 11:50:53 pm
The T100 is so sweet, especially with the real spoked wheels.  With a fairing popped on and some saddle bags thrown over you could easily tour.  They've also got that cool Steve McQueen flat green "Great Escape" model out now.  Unless you're doing multiple long tours a year the Concourse might be overkill.  Ride the T100, if it feels good you'll know right away if it's the bike for you.  Good luck!

Scott