Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855558 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1065 on: October 29, 2011, 01:27:14 pm
Living further north than bman does, I rode to work today as usual.  I do agree its getting to the time to put my bike away for the season. The temp outside was a balmy 32F, add into that the speed factor on the highway for an hour and needless to say my testicles have ascended back inside.
Insulated cover-alls help keep the chill out but for only so long. My helmet vents allow for a piercing cold stream of air to freeze my chin, and eyebrows. Ah well... Its been a good season so far.
Turned 8000km (5000 miles or so) on the C5, not to bad for a commuter/fun bike in three months. Switched out the dino oil for full synthetic yesterday and noticed that the engine is a bit quieter. Still a small amount of metal on the one magnet with the screen. The other magnet hasn't picked up any metal at all since it's been sitting on the shelf as the other drainplug hole is striped out and has an expansion plug in it.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1066 on: October 29, 2011, 08:21:58 pm
I woke up this morning to a beautiful California day. Gotta take ride. I fired up the G5 and headed out Cajon Blvd, the old route 66 from back in the day to the end of the canyon. Having to much fun. It was then that I decided to ride up to San Bernardino National Forest. It was a spectacular ride up to Lake Silverwood. Stopped at a lookout to enjoy the scenery and decided I need to ride more. Too good a day to just go back . The bike is running like a top, I need more of a fix. Gotta keep riding. I continued up to Crestline , it was there that ran into some gusty winds. My Enfield doesnt care much for wind . The wind in the mountains doesnt blow, IT SUCKS ! I continued down the mountain fighting strong gusts most of the way.  Got to the bottom of the mountain into San Bernaghetto and sure enough, 75 degrees and NO WIND. Damn. Besides the wind , I had a great ride, fed my Enfield addiction for the day , put the bike in the garage with an ear to ear grin. Man I love this bike !
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:27:01 pm by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1067 on: October 29, 2011, 09:57:16 pm
Looks cool! I've ridden my son's ZX6R to work a bit, 35 miles each way, and the clip-ons aren't as uncomfortable as I thought they would be. At 70 mph the air pressure holds you up.  Your bars are probably higher, so I expect you'll become accustomed to them in no time.

Actually, they're quite low. Not as bad as the original (2004?) Triumph Thruxton, the later ones are higher. They are lower than my Honda Fireblades and Yamaha ThunderAce and the GB500. But it is a pretty short reach, so I don't have as much weight on them as some of the others did. I need to get the rear sets on it and that will reduce the midsection bend. My feet keep looking for them! The ones on the Watsonian-Squire Clubman are higher, if these don't work to my liking, I'll get the others.

Anytime past Monday next week for Big Bear?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1068 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:50 am
I went to take the C5 for a ride and it wouldn't start. 

Instead, I heard a THUNK and THACK! sound.  Sounds like a sprag going out, right?

After letting it rest a minute it started up like nothing unusual happened and idled very smoothly.

I rode it the 2 miles to the dealer and the unit was struggling like it was low on fuel (it's not), but keeping the revs higher it made it there.  I greeted the owner outside and told him I was leaving the C5 there, probably a sprag clutch failure.  He nodded.

WIth no kick-start this is a bad situation, but the bike is under warranty so all should be fine.  Nonetheless, what is left of my love affair with RE is about gone.

I got a ride home and then took the Guzzi Breva out for a ride and it was clear that I don't need two motorcycles.  We'll see how this works out.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1069 on: November 01, 2011, 11:05:52 pm
One of my turn signals broke so I rode to the store to get a new one to install. I'm getting used to the Ace bars and starting to be very comfortable. Tomorrow's is a big test. Probably get in over 200 miles on the Big Bear run. Gotta survive this one to make the Hansen Dam ride Sunday.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1070 on: November 02, 2011, 01:10:36 am
Let me offer a belated "nice job on the bars", that's how a G5 ought to look!

Scott

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1071 on: November 02, 2011, 04:40:54 pm
yesterday was 60 degrees and sunny. went for a two and a half hour  92 mile ride on the fireball up the kickapoo valley.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1072 on: November 03, 2011, 12:09:16 am
Today I went to the dealer to check how my C5's sprag (or whatever) repair is going. 

The sevice tech Elliott (nice guy, btw) said that yesterday and today they started it FIVE times and that it started normally each time.  Of course.

They want to duplicate the problem before they tear into the sprag or whatever.

SInce the Seattle weather is turning I can be patient.  And will.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1073 on: November 03, 2011, 03:19:50 am
Yes, winter came in in a hurry here in Portland.  Two weeks of rain, then a little sun, then BOOM!  Near freezing temps every morning lately.  I do miss it when we don't get much of a warm fall but at least it's been mostly sunny. 

I got snagged in the rain on the last 5 minutes of the ride home.  Riding days are getting fewer and farther between here in PDX too.

Scott

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #1074 on: November 03, 2011, 04:00:01 am
Houston averages 54 inches of rain per year. This year we've had less than 15 so far! LaNina makes things die around here, but it's great for motorcycling. Looks like another warm and dry January is on the way.

But we do have to summer-ize them for those four months they spend sitting in the garage (June through September).
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1075 on: November 03, 2011, 11:35:06 pm
Once again I stopped at the dealer to check on the C5.  The bike has started normally for them today and when I was there it was started again a few times.  Idled so perfectly you would swear I was making the starting problem up.

And in that is the irony.  They won't fix it until they duplicate the problem.  I was told I could take it or leave it, my choice.  I asked Elliott to contact CMW and ask for authorization to proceed. 

Stay tuned...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1076 on: November 04, 2011, 12:01:22 am
If you've got a smart phone with video you might want to record everyt time you start.  At least that way you can show them what's up.

My bike always behaves in front of my mechanic too :(

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1077 on: November 04, 2011, 12:06:16 am
If you've got a smart phone with video you might want to record everyt time you start.  At least that way you can show them what's up.

My bike always behaves in front of my mechanic too :(

Scott

Easy solved. Bring a couple of cute college age girls along to the workshop.

No bike ever starts properly when good looking girls are watching. Well known fact.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1078 on: November 04, 2011, 12:52:09 am
  They won't fix it until they duplicate the problem.  I was told I could take it or leave it, my choice.  I asked Elliott to contact CMW and ask for authorization to proceed. 

Stay tuned...

Proceed at what?

I hate to say it but if the bike is working right they have nothing to go on except your description of a no start and a Thunk and a Thack  followed by a normal start.

Based on what the shop has done so far if I were the mechanic I wouldn't know where to start (no pun intended).

If I had to do something, I guess I would start with the starter solenoid but that would be just a wild ass guess on my part and without any positive proof that it was defective I doubt that the warranty would cover its cost or the time spent in installing it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1079 on: November 04, 2011, 02:14:07 am
Proceed at what?

I hate to say it but if the bike is working right they have nothing to go on except your description of a no start and a Thunk and a Thack  followed by a normal start.

Based on what the shop has done so far if I were the mechanic I wouldn't know where to start (no pun intended).

If I had to do something, I guess I would start with the starter solenoid but that would be just a wild ars guess on my part and without any positive proof that it was defective I doubt that the warranty would cover its cost or the time spent in installing it.

Oh yeah, the shop is doing things by the book.  Can't blame them.  CMW will look at the video I made and hopefully have a clue as to what to do.  If not, I will pick up the bike on Saturday and ride it until something else happens.  Hopefully it won't, but this C5 has been a bit cranky.