Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855519 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1020 on: October 11, 2011, 02:47:07 am
I put my windshield back on the G5.

I had removed it because for riding at city speeds I kinda enjoy the blast of air but I'm getting ready to take it on a 500 mile round trip adventure  on Wed and a lot of it will be at freeway speeds where the extra wind  protection might be nice.

Especially nice at my half way point where the night temperatures have been getting down to 26 degrees F at night with daytime temps in the 40-50 degree range.

This little trip will also test out how the bike likes elevation.
I live at 1,200 feet above sea level and I'll be riding part of the time at over 8,000 feet.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1021 on: October 11, 2011, 04:31:55 am
I put my windshield back on the G5.

I had removed it because for riding at city speeds I kinda enjoy the blast of air but I'm getting ready to take it on a 500 mile round trip adventure  on Wed and a lot of it will be at freeway speeds where the extra wind  protection might be nice.

Especially nice at my half way point where the night temperatures have been getting down to 26 degrees F at night with daytime temps in the 40-50 degree range.

This little trip will also test out how the bike likes elevation.
I live at 1,200 feet above sea level and I'll be riding part of the time at over 8,000 feet.

Yeah, I regularly alternate between goggles/open-face/bare-bike pottering around town in fine weather and fullface/windshield on wet days or road trips.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1022 on: October 11, 2011, 04:03:19 pm
I live at 200 ASL and quite often go over 7000'. The bike runs great. I was up there Sunday.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1023 on: October 11, 2011, 05:59:01 pm
Yeah.

What were they thinking when they took the kicker off a classic style bike.

Happily they put it back on the 2011.  Otherwise I would have thought twice about buying one.

By the way,  anyone notice that when hot their bike doesn't kick start as easily as when cold???  I would have thought it would be the other way around.

One kick cold...Three kicks and then electric start when hot.

What did I do to my Royal Enfield today?

Put on a heel / toe shifter.

Wasn't sure if I would like it, but I like it.

The Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1024 on: October 11, 2011, 07:30:29 pm
When it's cold the ECU puts out a richer mixture, it gets leaner as the engine warms up.  That might be the reason.  I wouldn't know, 2010 C5 ;)

Scott

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1025 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:41 pm
So I'll try a little more throttle action on hot starts and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1026 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:36 pm
So I'll try a little more throttle action on hot starts and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott.

Caseman

Lately my B5 seems to like me to kick it through a few times with ignition off then kick it over with the throttle cracked about 1/8" .

I have also found if it doesn't start first kick, turning ignition off kicking through a few times and then trying again works better than just continually kicking.

When you think about it you cannot really expect a bike to have the same starting procedure every day all year round regardless of weather or altitude or temperature of the engine.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #1027 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17:17 am
I think it is a M6, or 6 mm.  Mine is a socket head cap screw but a regular hex headed bolt would work too.

Thanks arizoni, that was indeed what was needed for the fender repair. Thanks for the help.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1028 on: October 12, 2011, 01:24:20 pm
Lately my B5 seems to like me to kick it through a few times with ignition off then kick it over with the throttle cracked about 1/8" .

I have also found if it doesn't start first kick, turning ignition off kicking through a few times and then trying again works better than just continually kicking.

When you think about it you cannot really expect a bike to have the same starting procedure every day all year round regardless of weather or altitude or temperature of the engine.

Very true Glenn.

I don't start the same way every time either.  Sometimes I need to be kicked through a few times myself.  I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks.

TCP The Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1029 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:25 pm

That's the trick. It's the second prime that gets it going. I don't even kick it over with the ignition off, I just turn it off and on again. It usually starts then. If not, I'm not going to wear myself out doing this, the button works.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1030 on: October 12, 2011, 04:56:51 pm
Understood.

Thanks Bare

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1031 on: October 12, 2011, 05:16:37 pm
I had a funny little incident while traveling down Foothill Blvd yesterday. I was splitting lanes coming up to red lights so I could get out ahead of the pack and get some smooth sailing to the next one at the speed limit, of course. The old Bullet gets out of the hole quite nicely unless somebody wants to make a race out of it, then I just let them by. Coming off a light I looked in the mirrors to see which was the slower lane so I could get into it and not hold anyone up. In the left lane, I see a guy rapidly closing in on me so I moved to the right lane at the 45mph limit and this guy went roaring by in his Mustang. OK, have fun, guy.  A couple of seconds later a second car went ripping by. It was a cop!
As I caught up with them, the cop was getting out of his car and looking at me like he missed one or something. I was just smiling as I went by, not so much at the cop, but just because I was riding my Motorsickle.
God, I live this bike!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1032 on: October 13, 2011, 09:59:53 am
Changed the oil and filter on my B5 today (1250 miles) and used Mr Singhs very useful youtube clip for a reference.

One notable difference from the G5 clip was my B5 oil filter cover has three bolts and the pressure plate for the oil filter was a single piece with an allen key holding the brass plate onto the spring section.

Opted for Motul 20w50 semisynthetic.

Did not have any loctite handy so just tightened everything firmly and hope nothing  comes unscrewed before next oil change :D

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1033 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:57 am
Day off work today, so I loaded up the gas tank and headed off to  obtain an oil filter...   The closest dealer to me now is Renegade  Motors in Toledo Ohio, a 150 mile ride, but being Canadian and a canadian imported bike, I cant use them for warrantee work if I need any Arrrgh. I was quite impressed with Tom and his dealership there, please, stop by there if you are in the area. (Better yet, buy something from him)  I got to sit on some MotoGooey bikes  (and some Hyosung stuff that i generally ignore..) and was able to get an oil filter from Tom and his son. As is often the way, took the long way home back to the Canadian border at Detroit/Windsor. Main reason for taking the long way... Michigan's idea of an ideal road surface on I-75 doesnt quite add up.. WTF is the need to make every single 'patch' job on the right lane end with a lip that is half an inch lower than the existing concrete that is  already streaked with those annoying rain grooves? The back roads were much more pleasurable. 520km today. 
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1034 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:56 am
That's the trick. It's the second prime that gets it going. I don't even kick it over with the ignition off, I just turn it off and on again. It usually starts then. If not, I'm not going to wear myself out doing this, the button works.
Bare

If its the second prime that helps you can initiate that by just nudging the side-stand with your left foot instead of mucking about with the key.  I am going to try that out and see if it works.