Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855340 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #960 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:53 pm
I received my English tail light the other day, so the last couple of days I've been installing and bobbing the tail of the bike just a bit and relocating the turn signals.
Here are a couple of partly finished shots. (Not the shots, the job) I still have to finish rewiring that I am hoping to get done today, but if I don't get cracking, I'm not gonna make it.
Bare

Bare:

Your bike looks beautiful.  What brand / type is your rear tyre ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #961 on: September 15, 2011, 01:15:29 am
Thank you. The tires are Dunlop K70s, an infinite improvement the stock rubbish.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #962 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:20 pm
Went for a lovely ride today along the north shores of Lake Erie. The tobacco fields are being harvested as well as the tomatoes, so some farm mud was on the roads at the entrances from the fields from the tractors heading onto the road from the field. Not a big deal, just a bit of a slolome course in some places, avoiding the big chunks of mud. The weather is chilly, 9 degrees celcius, and the C5 is running fine. It seems to like the cooler weather.  Stopped for a while at one of the many fisheries that dot the area, this one was in Erieau, and met up with a couple vacationing on a Harley pulling a trailer.  There used to be a Victorian era rail line in the area that was pulled out almost fifty years ago but the rail bed is still there, so I went for a cross country ride down the bed until I discovered a gate. Seems like I entered a conservation area from the backside down the railbed. There was a sign saying no motorized vehicles, and I was looking at the back of it...ooops..  U-turned and headed back!
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #963 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:53 pm
Installed a Dunlop K70 4.00x18 on the rear. It feels like the seat is now 3" taller! It makes the stock front avon look puny. Oddly, I thought a 4.00 wide tire would be wider than the 110, but if anything it is a little narrower. Any guess what pressure I should run? It is so different than the Avon I just wasn't sure. This is on a C5.

Bare, how are you liking yours?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #964 on: September 17, 2011, 02:14:25 am
Luvin' it. But I put a 3.50 on the back. Much better tracking and steering than the Avons. Sticks better.It's stopped the pushing the front end and that's a giant plus to me. Life is wonderful again!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #965 on: September 17, 2011, 03:14:42 pm
Desi Bike, interesting that you are plying the north shore of Lake Erie while I eat up highway 2 down south of you in the USA. I love that ride and do it at least twice a week. I am planning a trip to Sandusky today via that route and will be thinking about you on the other side of the lake as I do so.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #966 on: September 17, 2011, 03:48:56 pm
We should meet up on Pelee Island one day for a ride. Never been over, but always wanted to.
I work in Windsor and live in Chatham round trip about 100+ miles daily. My C5 is my spiffy commuter vehicle in addition to (unfortunately) an old man magnet, attracting old geezers where ever I stop (wish it were the younger female variety)

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #967 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:50 am
I just returned from 65 miles on the black C5.  75mpg for the tank.

Summer has definitely left Seattle.  It barely got to 60F today.  On the next ride I'll put on thicker gloves. 

I got "buzzed" by the new Boeing Dreamliner 787 as it came in low for a landing at Boeing field.  Riding by "Smarty Pants" restaurant there were NO motorcycles out front at 2:30PM.  There was a tour bus hogging the parking.  So I kept going.

I looped the city and enjoyed relatively light traffic on a Saturday while many people were probably watching the UW Huskies lose to Nebraska in college football.

Tomorrow, rains are forecast.  The Cascade mountains might get their first bit of snow for the oncoming Autumn season.

Leaves are already falling onto the streets but so far are just blowing about.  That will change really soon when the rains make our riding more interesting.

The C5 is running well.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #968 on: September 18, 2011, 09:02:03 am
Got home from a quick trip into town on the W650, spotted the stethoscope I left on the Enfield seat last week, and thought I'd take her out to warm her up before having a listen. Of course, that old Enfield magic soon had me hooked again and I was at full grin and 25 miles from home before I realised that big black sky which had been over to the west had been quietly flanking me and was now unavoidable. First a light mist on the visor, then a few drops, then stair rods all the way home! I was soaked right through to the skin, not a dry bit of clothing on me!
Note to self - leather jacket & kevlar jeans wont hack it in foul weather.
Noticed again the neutral light glows dimly whenever the bike is out in rain.

Quick change & coffee and went to the garage to have a listen with the stethoscope.
I couldn't pinpoint the clattering by using the tip of the probe, but by putting it between the fins of the cylinder head and bending it slightly so the side of the probe presses against the inside of the fins, I could locate it as coming from in there. No surprise really.
WS are currently investigating a bike which seems to have a similar issue, and are going to get back to me next week. Of course I'll report what I find out.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #969 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:18 am
First day of Oktoberfest in Munich. A holy time for a cabby, just like ramadan the other way round  ;D. As chaos is biggest on the first day and traffic was reorganized because of security reasons  ::), I decided not to work and instead have a closer look at it first.
So I took the Bullet and examined the area around the "Wiesn". It´s amazing like every year: the area is about 1 km wide and 800 meters long, and up to 700000 people do conglomerate here, drinking and celebrating. Unique, great fun and scary at the same time.
As you can imagine, figures like this overstrain any infrastructure, especially when some ambitious politicians block a lot of roads in order to tell their electors it´s about public safety, orcestrating themselves as guardians of the same.
However, many people love their "Wiesn" though, and so Munich is stuffed with action. I chugged through the masses, my pipe beeing helpfull to alert everybody around me. and looked after the various cabstands and new one-way-roads.
After I had finished the epic journey around the Theresienwiese, that took about an hour, I carefully took my way home.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #970 on: September 18, 2011, 03:37:11 pm
First day of Oktoberfest in Munich. A holy time for a cabby, just like ramadan the other way round  ;D. As chaos is biggest on the first day and traffic was reorganized because of security reasons  ::), I decided not to work and instead have a closer look at it first.
So I took the Bullet and examined the area around the "Wiesn". It´s amazing like every year: the area is about 1 km wide and 800 meters long, and up to 700000 people do conglomerate here, drinking and celebrating. Unique, great fun and scary at the same time.
As you can imagine, figures like this overstrain any infrastructure, especially when some ambitious politicians block a lot of roads in order to tell their electors it´s about public safety, orcestrating themselves as guardians of the same.
However, many people love their "Wiesn" though, and so Munich is stuffed with action. I chugged through the masses, my pipe beeing helpfull to alert everybody around me. and looked after the various cabstands and new one-way-roads.
After I had finished the epic journey around the Theresienwiese, that took about an hour, I carefully took my way home.
You should have stopped and had a Paulaner Oktoberfest (Marzen) for all of us!   ;D
Prost!

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #971 on: September 18, 2011, 09:03:57 pm
Went on my usual valley jaunt and got caught behind a student driver. Felt like pulling my hair out as I couldn't get out of 2nd gear and so headed out of the valley and cruised some city streets. Got it on the highway and took it to 77 mph and it felt stable enough to me though the wind was having some way with me trying to tear me off the bike. I had fun though so I can't wait to do it again.
Last night I lubed the chain with wax and to me it makes a big difference. It just seems smoother riding to me. Also, someone mentioned that the weather getting cooler for some of us seems to make the bike run better. I would have to agree with that as everything just seems to run better stem to stern. Of course now i have to wear a coat and gloves and that just sucks. I loose the feel of the throttle somewhat.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #972 on: September 19, 2011, 01:45:40 am
Today I lubed the clutch cable on my G5.

It was much easier than I though it would be and I will make a little write up in the Tech Tip's section for others who have not done this before.

I don't notice any real difference in the clutch pull but at least now I know for certain that the cable has been lubed.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #973 on: September 19, 2011, 03:54:21 am
Today I made a short video showing the typical starting routine my C5 has been going through lately.  The first time I try to start it, there is a wheezing sound and then nothing.  The second time, it starts.  Well, listen for yourself (in 1080p if you like!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTbweM6sOxw
Tell me what you think.

I took an old-school ride today with 3/4 helmet, black leather jacket, jeans, and tennis shoes.  About 8 miles, maybe.  Too much wind noise even at low speeds. 

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #974 on: September 19, 2011, 04:46:32 am
Today I made a short video showing the typical starting routine my C5 has been going through lately.  The first time I try to start it, there is a wheezing sound and then nothing.  The second time, it starts.  Well, listen for yourself (in 1080p if you like!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTbweM6sOxw
Tell me what you think.

Disengaging early is usually a starter motor or starter clutch problem not solenoid.  Does it happen more often in the cold ?

The other cause of this issue with some starters is an initial firing of the engine that disengages the motor but the engine doesn't catch but in your case the engine does not seem to fire at all.