Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855309 times)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #945 on: September 12, 2011, 01:44:35 pm
Saturday and Sunday -  rode Route 66 across the state of Oklahoma.  A distance of approx 450 miles with a bunch of old guys on old motorcycles.  There were 3 Enfields, 2 HD Electra Glides, 3 Triumphs, a 1974 Moto Guzzi, 1959 BSA 650 Super Rocket, 1971 Norton thumper, 1972 Suzuki "water buffalo".  Had to ride thru about 10 miles of rain, got soaking wet.   Oldest rider was 80 years old, he wore his double knit slacks with tennis shoes, said he was getting married to a lovely lady soon.  

All three generations of Enfield were there, an iron lung, an AVL and mine.   The Enfields just thumped along never missed a beat.  Some of the other bikes had electrical and minor mechanical problems. We were lucky enough to make all the repairs by the side of the road using tape and some good ole safety wire.

Met a lot of friendly people, lots of questions for the Enfield riders, I know you know what I mean.    I love this bike!  

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:47:09 pm by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #946 on: September 12, 2011, 05:53:55 pm
Ya didn't stop at the Rock Inn in Stroud, did you? I've been wanting to get back to tulsa so I can go down there. It was featured on Triple D (Diners, Drive_Ins and Dives) awhile back. I think they had alligator, I love alligator!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #947 on: September 12, 2011, 06:33:46 pm
Ya didn't stop at the Rock Inn in Stroud, did you? I've been wanting to get back to tulsa so I can go down there. It was featured on Triple D (Diners, Drive_Ins and Dives) awhile back. I think they had alligator, I love alligator!
Bare

No, we've been there before and will return.  You are correct, they have a lot of out of the ordinary dishes besides cheeseburgers.   

We stayed in a Bed & Breakfast in Baxter Springs, KS that was featured in Dinners and Dives, the place used to be a bank that supposedly was robbed by Jesse James.

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #948 on: September 12, 2011, 11:20:27 pm
What did I do?  I had to chuckle.
"The REVENGE OF THE ENFIELD"!  Coming to your neighborhood SOON!  :)

When I picked up my new G5 I asked the dealer if there was a helmet lock available and he said he had one.  I bought it and mounted it on the bike.

This helmet lock isn't like the one sold by NField Gear (the key says "JINKUN").
It attaches under the license  plate and it has two keyed helmet locks, each hanging from a sheet metal bracket on it.  See picture below and you should be able to make out both of the locks.

Anyway, this morning while giving the bike the normal once over before starting it my eye fell on the helmet lock and lo and behold!  Only ONE helmet lock now exists!
The vibration of the bike caused one of the sheet metal brackets which attaches the lock to fail so, if one of you folks are riding around Phoenix and see a helmet lock on a broken piece of sheet metal laying longside the road, it's mine.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #949 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:44 pm
It doesn't want you locking a helmet to its butt while you laze around who knows where, it wants you to ride and it's telling you so!

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #950 on: September 12, 2011, 11:58:36 pm
The logic of mounting big tough looking locks on relatively thin sheet metal escapes me.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #951 on: September 13, 2011, 12:49:46 am
It escaped the Enfield too!   :D ROTF LMAO.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #952 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:13 am
The logic of mounting big tough looking locks on relatively thin sheet metal escapes me.

Locks keep honest people honest.  Dishonest people will take your stuff if they want it no matter how you lock it up :(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #953 on: September 13, 2011, 02:21:08 am
Your right. :)
The idea behind my using a helmet lock is to stop little kids and simpletons from just walking up to my bike and removing it from places like dangling from one of my handlebars just perched on the seat.

To create one of those, "Duh.  Hey!  It's hooked onto something.  Dis ain't gonna bee as ezy as I thout it was......Oh well.  I didn't want it anyway." moments.

Of course the same dimwit will then proceed to poke the big red button on the right grip just to see if it will launch the motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #954 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:32 am
Well, the k&n is in. The blue nipple lights are in. None of the free accessories from RE are in. 5 months after purchase. They say they can't get the rear rack. So I got one from Hitchcock's. They have plenty in stock CMW. 4 days for delivery. I put the rack on today and it looks good on my military. Now I can pick up a pizza if I want. For those long rides. As for helmet locks. A small lock on the helmet to the front brake cable. Or get one with lots of dents. Nobody wants one with dents.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #955 on: September 14, 2011, 02:38:23 am
ALL MY HELMET LOCK PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED! :)

On my way home from a shopping center 6 miles North of me the second one fell off!  ROTF.  :D  ;D  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #956 on: September 14, 2011, 02:54:10 am
ALL MY HELMET LOCK PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED! :)

On my way home from a shopping center 6 miles North of me the second one fell off!  ROTF.  :D  ;D  :D

The keys were misspelled - locks were JINXED ;D !  Now you, bike and your helmet are safe  ;) !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #957 on: September 14, 2011, 02:54:57 am
A small lock on the helmet to the front brake cable. Or get one with lots of dents. Nobody wants one with dents.

Or a pink one with large yellow sunflowers ... they rarely get stolen either :D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #958 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:29 am
Which reminds me of the guy with a crappy bicycle who bought a nice lock to protect it.
After parking it in a bad area of town he returned to find his bicycle still there but someone had stolen the lock. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #959 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:34 pm
I received my English tail light the other day, so the last couple of days I've been installing and bobbing the tail of the bike just a bit and relocating the turn signals.
Here are a couple of partly finished shots. (Not the shots, the job) I still have to finish rewiring that I am hoping to get done today, but if I don't get cracking, I'm not gonna make it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com