Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855340 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #840 on: August 15, 2011, 07:27:45 pm
Nice thing about the Enfield, it doesn't care to go faster than that anyway.
One of the reasons I bought it, it keeps me outta trouble!

Me too!

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #841 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:59 pm
I attached my RE front fender mudflap and a replica 1955 motorcycle tax disc form I got from ebay UK. I dig it!

I was going to give you a hard time about that bar-code sticker not matching  very well, but I see you took it off in the second pic.  :D I like the additions
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #842 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:01 pm
After yesterday's little mountain ride, I just went out and finished up the the 30 some odd miles to get my 3000 miles , then went to fill it up. The rides yesterday and today netted 83,1 mpg, new record for my, and I wasn't even being careful, putting a lot of freeway riding in, and the top speed run, although not long, can chuck down a bit of fuel. But I was puttering around like an old lady in the mountains since I was by myself. Crashing is no fun without witnesses!
Gotta go out and change the oil while it's hot.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #843 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:31 pm
I was going to give you a hard time about that bar-code sticker not matching  very well, but I see you took it off in the second pic.  :D I like the additions

I pulled mine off before the bike was out of the crate. Its now stuck inside the owners manual
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #844 on: August 16, 2011, 12:25:52 am
Nothing with my own, but appreciated someone else's. 

Was headed southbound in the car on the number 5 sideroad, my favourite riding road, and passed a lovely dark green Bullet hack headed the other way.  I could see his grin long before I could make out what he was riding.  This was especially significant as it's my first Bullet sighting outside a dealer in the year and a half I've had mine.  My crappy case of the Mondays instantly vanished.

Kudos to you, Bulleteer!  You ride!
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #845 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:55 am
I got the oil changed. I put in Mobil One V-Twin stuff. I guess I only need half as much for the single. Anyway, it took 4oz less than two quarts, and after I ran it, It looks like the level is going to set on the bottom line, so I may get to use up another couple of oz.
I guess that probably about half of what the V-2s take! My oil usage in that last 2000 miles was zip, nada, none. Some steel on the magnet, but not much.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #846 on: August 16, 2011, 03:14:30 am
I got the oil changed. I put in Mobil One V-Twin stuff. I guess I only need half as much for the single. Anyway, it took 4oz less than two quarts, and after I ran it, It looks like the level is going to set on the bottom line, so I may get to use up another couple of oz.
I guess that probably about half of what the V-2s take! My oil usage in that last 2000 miles was zip, nada, none. Some steel on the magnet, but not much.
Bare
Your oil measure sounds about right.  Remember that the oil covers all three parts:  motor, primary, and tranny. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #847 on: August 16, 2011, 05:18:22 am
Tonight I rode for about 50 miles, leaving home in the sun and returning in the dark, about 9PM.  The C5 ran great on the freeway, up to about 60mph, and then I found the quieter roads that make riding a thumper so pleasurable. 

The back shocks are now on their stiffest setting.  The bike was stable at the hgh speeds.  Putting the OEM torpedo back on definitely helps acceleration from a stop light but limits the williingness to go much faster than 65.  For me that is NOT a problem, heh, that's what the Breva is for.   :D

I got a nice "scenic" shot below with Mt. Rainier quite visible from the Kent Valley.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #848 on: August 16, 2011, 06:13:46 am
Nice pic! 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #849 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:09 am
Took a run along the lake shore and ran into a surprise squall that scooted off the lake with no warning. Attempted to slow down on the wet pavement to turn in under a large tree for protection and started to fishtail all over the place to my chagrin. Luckily got it under control and stopped safely enough though with my eyes a bit wider from fright.
Goes to show you that you have to be vigilant at all times, even when you think your doing just fine at the moment. I mean that stuff came out of nowhere and just about ruined my day.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #850 on: August 17, 2011, 01:58:38 am
Oil change over the weekend. It was raining. Good thing to do while raining. Checked chain tension. Put in Amsoil 20w50 synthetic. 2 qts and 2 ozs. Some fillings on plug but screen squeaky clean. 1200 miles now and rolling. Next, spark plug and k&n filter. Rest of this week should be riding weather.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #851 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:18 am
Went to the dealer just for the ride and check on these slow arriving parts to finish up getting the bike all back together after the road rash it received.
Also, It had been cutting out for awhile as I've been fiddling with the EFI, partly because i was cutting out and trying to get the idle proper.
And mostly because I felt like going on a 100 mile ride!
Any way a  few parts had showed up but not anything I could use immediately, like footpeg rubbers. I need the footpegs first. The wrong (stock) headlight ring showed up.
But the real biggie is the front fender that I'll have to drive out to get it, but that's the biggest thing I need to get on the bike. Mine is pretty battered.
I talked to the mechanic about my problems with the EFI and he took it down the road a ways and came back and put it on the lift. Then he fixed the sidestand switch. I guess occasionally sometimes one needs to get a fresh perspective on the problem. It's running great except for the wandering Idle problem.  I did ask him what kind of tools he has to work on the EFI and he says there is nothing available on that piece, and he says there is no tools or instructions, other than what's in the Service manual. Just have to grin and bare it, I guess ???
Did get over 100 miles in, though. Still great riding. Lovin' it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #852 on: August 18, 2011, 02:25:26 am
Do you still have the OEM Bosch plug in there?

If so, change over to the NGK and the idle problem will be about gone.  Otherwise, your tinkering with the idle screw might have changed things.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #853 on: August 18, 2011, 04:31:33 am
Went down this morning to start it and... nothing!  No lights, no fuel pump.  Turned the bars to the right and it came to life, back to the left and dead again.  Pulled the harness away from the steering head to see if it had rubbed through and there was a short, now it's totally dead.  I guess a connection came loose behind the headlight.  I'll be going down in a little while to check it out.

Apparently I've been riding so long I've forgotten how to drive.  The car felt really funny to drive, and this is the only car I've owned for 15 years and 200k miles.  I misjudged a turn and ran over a curb at a corner on the way to work.  I better get the bike fixed fast before I wreck my car! :D

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #854 on: August 18, 2011, 06:12:03 am
Hah!  Just a connector that came apart.  i popped it back together and I'm good to go!  Now I can have a drink, watch a little TV to unwind, and still get to bed at a decent hour.

Scott