Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855365 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #615 on: July 16, 2011, 10:57:06 pm
bman734
Here's a link to something I wrote up to explain how to change the oil and filter on my G5.  The other UCE engined bikes are very similar.

You do have to buy the new oil filter which is only available from your dealer or from Nfieldgear on this site.
You also have to buy the right kind of oil but that isn't difficult to do.  Most auto stores carry a good variety.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10782.0.html
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #616 on: July 17, 2011, 12:01:13 am
Got my bike back, finally. Had the EFI muffler put on instead of the California Emissions friendly catalytic converter that measured 7 inchse that I got it with. So it looked like they took my muffler off basically. Also had the charcoal filter thingy removed that CLEANED the fumes that emanate from the gas tank that  go into the air on a normal bike.
Started it up and all my trepidation's were removed. I was afraid that I wouldn't hear that throaty pop like I'd remembered from my childhood when I was 22. My buddy had a Yamaha 500 four stroke single something or other that sounded like someone was firing a 22 riffle Gatling machine gun at me as I followed him down the highway. Well when I revved the engine for the first time, that's exactly what I got. It felt like I got a new bike! Seriously!
Needless to say, I had a marvelous ride where I couldn't stop from constantly looking back and straining my ears to hear that wonderful sound that was emanating from my tailpipe.

Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #617 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:01 am
Those of you who are even hesitating to get an efi muffler should get one NOW!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #618 on: July 17, 2011, 12:20:40 am
Those of you who are even hesitating to get an efi muffler should get one NOW!
I understand your enthusiasm.  These days, though, I prefer a quieter muffler.  There is a fair amount of fatigue that kicks in on longer rides with loud pipe(s).  I think the EFI muffler is louder than my upswept muffler which is of course much louder than stock.

The sound of the motor is enough music for my old ears.   :)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #619 on: July 17, 2011, 06:13:30 am
Put a new chain on and cleaned out the rear brake, deglazed the shoes while I was there.

Scott

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #620 on: July 18, 2011, 12:29:46 am
I too put on an EFI muffler today on my G5 (great sound and looks so much better!), as well as finished the old fashioned solo install, and lubed the clutch cable and chain. Should I be figuring out a way to lube the throttle cable as well?

Btw, I've seen some people say they think the EFI muffler is too quiet, and all I can say is I feel sorry for your neighbors!

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #621 on: July 18, 2011, 02:19:03 am
Went to store to get bread. 90 miles later I brought some home. Store by the way is 1 mile away ::)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #622 on: July 18, 2011, 05:35:45 am
Repaired my rear turn signal.

Based on my findings, the first thing to look for if one of your turn signals stops lighting is the condition of the bulb.  I thought mine was burned out.

As it turns out, the bulb was fine.  The ground wire that is supposed to connect the metal socket is held in place by a hole in the plastic reflector under the lens.  The plastic broke allowing the ground wire to become disconnected.

My temporary solution was to replace the old bulb with a Sylvania #1003 which has a globe that is slightly longer than the original bulb and then place the ground wire between the metal socket and the shoulder at the bottom of the plastic reflector.   The spring under the taller #1003 bulb which pushes against the lens holds the socket against the wire.

It's kinda Mickey Mouse and it may not last but for the moment it's working.
If it stops working again I will have to solder the wire in place like it should have been done originally.

I may end up taking my bike to the dealer but at the moment he is "on Holiday".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Alaska Mike

• Scooter
Reply #623 on: July 19, 2011, 05:51:47 am

I have a C5 and the front exhaust mounting bracket snapped. I have read some posts of people with similiar issues that replaced it with an American mounting bracket that is stronger. Can someone advise me on where to find a new exhaust mounting bracket?

Stay Safe!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #624 on: July 19, 2011, 05:56:52 am
I have a C5 and the front exhaust mounting bracket snapped. I have read some posts of people with similiar issues that replaced it with an American mounting bracket that is stronger. Can someone advise me on where to find a new exhaust mounting bracket?
Which exhaust do you have?  If it is the upswept muffler, I had a beautiful black bracket with your name on it.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #625 on: July 19, 2011, 06:03:22 am
In my quest to figure out which muffler to keep on the C5, I rode 70 miles mostly east and north of Seattle.  The stock torpedo is nicely quieter than the aftermarket blatters.  Nice not to have backfires, pops, and poots.  Also good to know the cat is scrubbing the fumes to help my energy points of sustainability (whatever that means, heh).  I have to do some high speed (60+) miles before I decide. 

I was doing 5 over going around a bend when I spotted a motorcycle cop giving the radar treatment to me.  He must have enjoyed the sight of my black beauty because he didn't move.  Whew! 

68 mpg for the tank fillup.  The tank got some wax and polish later.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #626 on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:09 pm
I was doing 5 over going around a bend when I spotted a motorcycle cop giving the radar treatment to me.  He must have enjoyed the sight of my black beauty because he didn't move.  Whew! 

I've "blasted" past a few fishing holes.  On one, I was 30 over, 90 km/h in a 60 zone - thats three precious points on the licence, a hefty fine, and a big insurance hike.

But they've never pulled me over.  That sewing machine sound, upright position and C5 styling just make it LOOK slow...  8)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Alaska Mike

• Scooter
Reply #627 on: July 19, 2011, 04:06:11 pm
Which exhaust do you have?  If it is the upswept muffler, I had a beautiful black bracket with your name on it.

Prof -

I do have the upswept exhaust on my 09 C5. If you have a bracket, I would be much obliged and will repay the cost of shipping/materials.
Stay Safe!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #628 on: July 19, 2011, 04:39:44 pm
Prof -

I do have the upswept exhaust on my 09 C5. If you have a bracket, I would be much obliged and will repay the cost of shipping/materials.

Heh, no cost to you, it will get paid forward.  PM me with your address and I'll get it in the mail today or tomorrow.  r80rt made this bracket himself and even put his personal stamp on it!   :D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #629 on: July 19, 2011, 08:06:22 pm
That thing is making a hell of a journey :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association