Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855456 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #600 on: July 13, 2011, 11:09:52 pm
Hey, Prof, If your serious, I think I can use a new Muffler!
Bare
PM sent
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #601 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:51 pm
Hey Bare! Just read your story - great writing. I really enjoyed your view on things & bikes. Good to hear you´re allright - you must have 9 lives! In 25 years of riding I left the horse only 6 times the fast way (including the sins of youth) - I remember every single one. Got hurt once, in the probably lightest fall of all I cracked my collarbone, a few times.
I experienced the foodpeg-catapult-effect a couple of times, especially on narrow mountains bends, when you usually lay down the bike fast. It´s like Scott mentioned: hard, brutal and quite uncomfortable. At this point the tyres are definitely very close to hit the brick wall. If the road surface is uneven, wet or dirty you don´t reach the point when the pegs come down - you´ll run out of adhesion before.
It´s raining and storming for weeks in Bavaria, so big Alpen-tours are momentarily not my plan. In August it´s usually better, until then the foodpeg problem shall be solved. I should find a good welder to do that. Afterwards I´ll throw away the old Avons and get myself a decent pair of...well anything better anyway  ;)
Today I tried to change the stock handlebars to a BMW 100 RS bar. It´s narrow and nice, but doesn´t fit. It gets contact to the tank. Maybe acebars, then...
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #602 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:36 am
you must have 9 lives! In 25 years of riding I left the horse only 6 times the fast way (including the sins of youth) - I remember every single one.

I fell off the 650 Beezer 13 times in one day! It was the second day I owned it. It had started snowing the day before when I bought the bike and I had to install the generator and lighting on it. I got there early, but it took me a few hours to get the job done. It had started snowing while I was working on it and there was about 6" of snow on the ground and still snowing when I was ready to go home. We lived about 8 miles out of town up a mountain in Wyoming.
The last half mile was a very steep not very good kinda plowed road. It would have made a great endure section! I made it home, but to talk about the trip would be an aside to this one.
The club I was in was planning to go on a ride the nest morning. These rides are dirt oriented and we'd just go out hill climbing and dicing around short courses and fun stuff like that.
The morning dawned bright and sunshiny with 7 or 8 inches of snow everywhere. It was about 10F degrees outside. I put on my warm stuff and started down the hill from our house. There was a short straight section by our neighbor's house that is cut into the hillside. There is a log fence by the edge of the road. I came around the corner onto this straight and slid down sliding into the fence taking two posts out and sending his logs flying!
I got up and jumped back on the bike, took off and fell off again in the slick stuff about 50' later. This is in the first half mile from my house! I finally got to town and we departed to a placed I hadn't ridden before. The first stunt I pulled as these guys were riding around a narrow little rim was to dive into the bottom of this bowl that they were riding around and I was going to take a short cut.
Well, unbeknownst to me was the bottom of this bowl, neatly hidden under the snow, was a mud bog. the Beezer immediately sunk up to its axles, and me halfway to my knees! It took the whole gang to drag me and it out! They weren't very happy with me at the moment.
We continued chasing around and having a great time just goofing off in the snow and I was randomly falling off as were most of the others. I do recall sitting at the edge of the track and getting bashed into by a wildly flailing bike. Took both of us
down!
Later, as it was time to go home, I headed up the mountain and was making it home without further incident until I got right in front of the house and lost it again!
My mom said the air was blue from what she heard eminating from the road!
Man, I was tired of picking that beast up!
One thing that always amazed me about the old Brit bikes. As often as I crashed, fell off, got off, and otherwise pranged, I never did much more than break a clutch or brake lever, or maybe bend a footpeg. The expensive parts never seemed to get in the way! Those old Brit bikes were a wonder!
Anyway, as you can see, there ain't no way I could begin to remember all my little meetings with Ol' Mother Earth, abut I'll never forget it was13 times. But I can remember the Biggies, like breaking my leg, or going over the bars in a big way, or flipping a Miata and ending up with my  head maybe an inch off the ground sliding down the road, or dragging my head down a freeway hanging upside down in Bonanza. Or rolling down a hill in a jeep, and stuff like that!
I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I've outlived three cats!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #603 on: July 14, 2011, 02:09:27 am
Finally made it back to TN.  My bikes arrived in good condition. Thank you Federal Movers.  Changed the oil and filter on all 4, including the Harley, lol.  I prefer my RE's, but the Harley is still one of my favorites. 
Will ride them this weekend to make sure all the kinks are worked out.  Miss WA, but TN will always be my home.
Cheers
 :D :D

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #604 on: July 14, 2011, 02:59:20 am
ok  so both of my enfields are kick only . does that end my sprague problems? today i rode the fireball 59 miles to get sprague clutch parts    for my bailer.i just fixed the durn thing last month this time ill ,use locktite.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #605 on: July 14, 2011, 05:19:36 am
2 months ago I got my G5 and today it's mileage rolled up to 800 miles.
Not much by some of you guys standards but not bad for me.

In these 2 months I've had one real problem, a burned out trafficator indicator light bulb.  Not too bad in my book.    :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #606 on: July 14, 2011, 06:45:02 pm
Installed the EFI silencer, and gave her the 300 mile oil change!  Time to ride!!  I do like the sound of the EFI, a bit deeper particularly when you give it some throttle she sounds NICE!  We'll see how I like it in a few weeks.  I've noticed that she wants to go faster...though I'm not sure if that is actual increase in performance or just the exciting sound making my hand increase the throttle  ;D

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #607 on: July 15, 2011, 05:12:37 am
Today I carefully tightened the headbolts and went for a longer ride with the OEM torpedo on it.  It does feel quicker off the line but a little less willing to accelerate above 50mph.  I much prefer hearing the motor than the tailpipe.  There is a lot less noise fatigue, although on long rides I always wear earplugs (Leight Max).

I also reversed the airbox bolt and nut so I could put in the airbox (that is now standard on new RE's) cover over the filter .  I kept the K&N filter in place.

The chain got oiled (yes Scotty, the tailpipe IS hot, heh...ouch!). 

The advantage of black was made evident by how easily the Sharpie pen blackened two small divots on the airbox door.  The paint is really brittle on these bikes.  But the Sharpie covered it up and you'd have to look really hard to see the divots.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #608 on: July 15, 2011, 04:14:30 pm
The advantage of black was made evident by how easily the Sharpie pen blackened two small divots on the airbox door.  The paint is really brittle on these bikes.  But the Sharpie covered it up and you'd have to look really hard to see the divots.

Yes, that's how I touched up my old Ducati and the Kawasaki before it!  It does fade over time so you may need to so a spring touch up each year.

Scott

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #609 on: July 16, 2011, 01:14:22 pm
I'm wearing a frown right now because I missed a morning ride with some fellow bikers because my bike has been at the dealer for the third day. For an oil change no less. If they had told me up front that I would not have the bike for so long I wouldn't have brought it in. I'm holding out mentioning which dealer this is until I have more experience with them. So far I'm not at all impressed. I realize that they have a lot of bikes to take care of but simple communication seems lacking on their part when it comes to first hand coddling of their customers. The next nearest dealer is 50 miles away so they've got me by the balls. :(
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #610 on: July 16, 2011, 03:08:06 pm
I love my bike.  I would never trust a dealer to change the oil.  If you learn nothing else, learn that.  It's an easy thing to do. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #611 on: July 16, 2011, 03:26:10 pm
I love my bike.  I would never trust a dealer to change the oil.  If you learn nothing else, learn that.  It's an easy thing to do. 
Oil/filter = piece of cake.  Just measure what you take out before installing same.

I think if you set up the expectation with them that you expect it done in a day (or at most two) you'll find out more about them.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #612 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:28 pm
It's just that its a job they give to newbs.  And newbs have a bad habit of forgetting to put things back where they found them, or tightening them properly.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #613 on: July 16, 2011, 10:17:56 pm
Oil/filter = piece of cake.  Just measure what you take out before installing same.

I think if you set up the expectation with them that you expect it done in a day (or at most two) you'll find out more about them.

+1.  Learn to change your oil and filter, tighten the bolts that come loose, and check.adjust anything that needs it regularly.  Then you'll only have to go to the dealer for serious things.  It's satisfying to do the work yourself and more so if the bike isn't stuck at the dealer for days because you did it yourself.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #614 on: July 16, 2011, 10:44:21 pm
+1.  Learn to change your oil and filter, tighten the bolts that come loose, and check.adjust anything that needs it regularly.  Then you'll only have to go to the dealer for serious things.  It's satisfying to do the work yourself and more so if the bike isn't stuck at the dealer for days because you did it yourself.

Scott

Another +1 here.

Not only are these things required but doing them yourself gives the authentic soul satisfying kind of  ownership experience that no post modern machine can ever hope to deliver.
No matter where you go, there, you are.