Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855535 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #345 on: June 06, 2011, 08:02:20 am
Sub  -  I don't think it can be the same one. The NFieldGear one is English made and described as EFI specific so is probably the same as the one from Hitchcocks. The Indian one is the standard el cheapo generic Bullet exhaust.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #346 on: June 06, 2011, 03:02:19 pm
sjbiat: glad u made it back safe and didn't get caught out on the open in the hail storm..drove across the pan handle in a car and  it seem to be forever before i saw civilization..Flat country , dust devils and nowhere to hide... keeping it pegged at 70 mph isn't the thing to do on these machines for any length of time...
Oh Magoo you done it again

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #347 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:40 pm
Took the hack into work today with this sitting in the sidecar..

Next time my chubby little fingers get to touch it it should be a numbered edition...   ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:58:46 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #348 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:32 pm
Oh my, that will be sweet!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #349 on: June 06, 2011, 11:48:29 pm
Got home to find a box from r80rt with a heavy-duty bracket for the upswept muffler.  The rascal put a red splotch on it!   :D :D :D

Thanks again for sending it.  MUCHO appreciated!!   :)

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #350 on: June 07, 2011, 12:04:16 am
Oh gee, I thought I wiped all my finger prints off ;D I hope it works as good for you as it did for me.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #351 on: June 07, 2011, 01:24:37 am
aaaahhhaahahahah now thats priceless! :D

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #352 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:04 am
ir80rt: u leaving your mark..... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #353 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:38 pm
Survived another 90 km rain ride (without wiping it out this time!).  And - knock on wood - narrowly missed a horrendous storm.  Damaging hail, 100 km/h winds, trees thrown about, power out, flooding - about as nasty as you can get without an actual funnel cloud touching down.

If that had caught me while riding, the bike would be for sale tomorrow - whatever was left of it. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #354 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:17 am
 ;D Went for my fourth ride on my new 2011 c5 military. Breaking in the engine can be a challenge since most of the roads around me only go up to 35mph. Had to drive a little further to find a road where I could put it in 5th for some length of time without breaking the speed limit. I love this bike. A true "thumper" in every way. I can't wait to put a short pipe on it but am afraid it might be too loud. Is the efi enough or do I go with the cone shorty? I wish I could hear and ride each kind because it makes a difference between hearing it flying behind you and hearing it thump thump thump at idle.
What are the recommended speeds between gears for proper break-in? I've been going mainly by feel and trying to vary it but never giving more than half throttle and never lugging it in any way. How low can I go and still not be hurting the engine. I've been running 33 to 40 in 4th for the most part, trying to vary by going onto traffic lighted city streets to go through the lower gears regularly, then taking it onto park roads where I go the above 4th gear speeds, taking to 45mph where I can get away with it in 5th for short clips. Hope I'm not hurting my baby :'(
 8) if anyone thinks I'm doing anything wrong, let me know

a
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #355 on: June 08, 2011, 02:16:27 am
bman, the EFI will be good for you if you just want a bit more thump. The megaphones are very loud, especially if unbaffled like the nfield one. I had a megaphone EMGO and it was loud till I baffled it heavily, then perhaps it was too quiet?! I only had it on a short spell before the EFI finally arrived from India.

I have the EFI on now but want it a bit louder. Its pretty quiet at low speeds, and has a nice sound when you're on it, but still a bit mild for me. The megaphone was WAY too loud. I've been trying EMGO exhausts and they are decent quality and really cheap (~$30). I bought a shorty emgo and I havent had a chance to put it on yet, but I'm hoping it will work out for me. Its open like a megaphone, but baffled and shaped like a EFI. I'm making a custom snuff r not for it so I can have quiet and loud when I want! Hopefully it works.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #356 on: June 08, 2011, 02:32:08 am
I went to my dealer to buy a "Butterfly" style engine bar for my G5.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/body/butterfly-engine-bar.html

Because I have a California model which has a charcoal canister mounted in front of the lower front engine mount between the down tube and the front mud guard,  I needed to find a place to relocate it.  The lower engine bar brackets go right thru the area occupied by the canister.

I made a good Plan A  for relocating the canister to a vertical bar I will add to the left side of the case guard so I thought I was all set to put it together.

When I tried to mount the engine bar I discovered that the designer that located the O2 sensor on the exhaust pipe forgot about folks who want to mount this engine bar because the sensor and its wiring are a direct interference with the upper bracket.

I've now got Plan B underway and when everything is together I'll take a few photos and post a "How To" and a needed parts list  for anyone who has the O2 sensor and/or the charcoal canister and wants to mount this bar.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #357 on: June 08, 2011, 03:02:11 am
;D Went for my fourth ride on my new 2011 c5 military. Breaking in the engine can be a challenge since most of the roads around me only go up to 35mph. Had to drive a little further to find a road where I could put it in 5th for some length of time without breaking the speed limit. I love this bike. A true "thumper" in every way. I can't wait to put a short pipe on it but am afraid it might be too loud. Is the efi enough or do I go with the cone shorty? I wish I could hear and ride each kind because it makes a difference between hearing it flying behind you and hearing it thump thump thump at idle.
What are the recommended speeds between gears for proper break-in? I've been going mainly by feel and trying to vary it but never giving more than half throttle and never lugging it in any way. How low can I go and still not be hurting the engine. I've been running 33 to 40 in 4th for the most part, trying to vary by going onto traffic lighted city streets to go through the lower gears regularly, then taking it onto park roads where I go the above 4th gear speeds, taking to 45mph where I can get away with it in 5th for short clips. Hope I'm not hurting my baby :'(
 8) if anyone thinks I'm doing anything wrong, let me know.
You're doing fine with the break-in.  You have the correct attitude and you are not too anal about it.  The UCE is worlds or perhaps galaxies ahead of the iron barrel in terms of heat management and running-in needs.

With the feds getting closer to making it totally illegal to change mufflers, you should act sooner than later to get an aftermarket pipe.  I have the cool looking upswept muffler which is plenty loud for my old ears at speed.  But the backfires and such make it clear that the ECU is not as wise as we were led to believe.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #358 on: June 08, 2011, 03:46:50 am
Hello bman734,
           I had the megaphone exhaust on my G5 deluxe and it was just to dam loud ! It looked cool, but I know I was pissing people off. I switched to the English made EFI silencer and love it. I can actually hear the mechanical engine sounds ( valves etc. ) and the wind, and I don't need earplugs ! I really enjoy riding a quieter motorcycle, but sometimes I wish it were just a bit louder. It's all a matter of personal taste. You're doing a great job on the break-in.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #359 on: June 08, 2011, 06:07:24 am
I went to my dealer to buy a "Butterfly" style engine bar for my G5.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/body/butterfly-engine-bar.html

Because I have a California model which has a charcoal canister mounted in front of the lower front engine mount between the down tube and the front mud guard,  I needed to find a place to relocate it.  The lower engine bar brackets go right thru the area occupied by the canister.

I think I recall seeing someone just using longer bolts and 1-2" spacers to mount the canister off the frame more so the bars can pass by.