Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855535 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #315 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:12 am
I got my new oil filters today and my bike is only 20 miles shy of being at 300 miles so I changed the oil and filter.

After getting the oil pickup strainer out I was glad I followed the break in instructions and took it real easy.
There was some sort of fiber looking stuff covering the screen along with some small pieces of iron/steel that I expected to see.
The fiber stuff had clogged the screen enough that it was showing signs of collapsing from the pumps suction.

I also discovered another sump magnet in the screens retaining plate.  I don't recall having read about this magnet before but it had done its job and was covered with iron/steel filings and the pasty iron/steel dust that must have come off of the cylinder walls and rings while they were breaking in.

As it's my nature to pass along some of my experiances and knowledge I posted a write up about changing the UCE oil filter in the TIPS section.
If anyone sees any errors in it be sure to let folks know. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #316 on: June 01, 2011, 01:27:12 pm

There was some sort of fiber looking stuff covering the screen...

Normal.  I forget what it is, but everyone gets it.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #317 on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:00 pm
Arizoni,
     Make sure to do the same thing at 600 miles. At 1000 miles, my dealer told me to change oil and filter again, and switch to synthetic oil. I'm running 20 / 50. My G5 Deluxe runs absolutely perfect, and leaks NO oil !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #318 on: June 01, 2011, 03:05:21 pm
Started off for work, got a mile and had my throttle cable break..  Cranked up the idle and took her home.   I have a spare cable so I know what I will be doing after work....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #319 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:48 pm
Gary, did you lube your cable at all? Where did it break?

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #320 on: June 01, 2011, 07:42:44 pm
Normal.  I forget what it is, but everyone gets it.
Yup, normal, its like an old tattered rag or something. also the slight crushing of that filter is normal too. I think that it crushes a bit when you put the cover on. Just carefully straighten it and put it back in..

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #321 on: June 01, 2011, 07:58:51 pm
Gary, did you lube your cable at all? Where did it break?

I would spritz it with some teflon spray lube on occasion.. I have not taken things apart as I had to go to work, but it feels like a broken cable.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Put on the solo deluxe seat and swapped out the enclosed springs for 3" ones and found the directions less than helpful .

changing the springs - not too bad but unfortunatly the ones I bought were too wide at the base and top so washers and bolts and inserts later I got them switched out

The seat as sent from NFIELD was a Lapera solo and the front mounting bracket from the manufacturer didnt quite fit so I used the one from NFIELD - the mounting hole in the frame ended up being drilled twice as large and twice as far back and towards the top of the mount as it could go so the pivot would work.

The rear brackets went on where I took the stock  seat springs off - used the same bolts.

The front pivot bolt is so close to the seat it is nearly impossible to get it through the pivot without ripping the vinyl on the seat - 2 hours - lots of friggin around and looking in my tool box for washers and nuts etc - over drill the holes - seems OK now but have ordered the proper type of springs to uses on the mounts - small circles for bolts and single washers and 2" as the position of the seat, although a lot narrower doesnt go down much lower than  stock.

Gained appreciation that NUTHIN is out of box on to bike with these babies
Dr B

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Put on the solo deluxe seat and swapped out the enclosed springs for 3" ones and found the directions less than helpful .

changing the springs - not too bad but unfortunatly the ones I bought were too wide at the base and top so washers and bolts and inserts later I got them switched out

The seat as sent from NFIELD was a Lapera solo and the front mounting bracket from the manufacturer didnt quite fit so I used the one from NFIELD - the mounting hole in the frame ended up being drilled twice as large and twice as far back and towards the top of the mount as it could go so the pivot would work.

The rear brackets went on where I took the stock  seat springs off - used the same bolts.

The front pivot bolt is so close to the seat it is nearly impossible to get it through the pivot without ripping the vinyl on the seat - 2 hours - lots of friggin around and looking in my tool box for washers and nuts etc - over drill the holes - seems OK now but have ordered the proper type of springs to uses on the mounts - small circles for bolts and single washers and 2" as the position of the seat, although a lot narrower doesnt go down much lower than  stock.

Gained appreciation that NUTHIN is out of box on to bike with these babies

Yes, you too,  my son, have learned more the ways of Royal Enfield accessories.  Swear you must.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:31:07 am by prof_stack »
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #324 on: June 02, 2011, 12:02:43 am
drbvac, did you get a small forward piece on the mouting bracket that you did not use?  I saw one on the seat I looked at, just a small square mounted to a tube.  You can drill a hole in the top of the frame bracket instead of two in the sides.  Much easier to install.  That said, there was a lot of slop, could probably be taken up with the right bronze bushings.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #325 on: June 04, 2011, 08:28:12 pm
Yes sir - that and a couple of side brackets and the stock front swing are in my extra parts box.

Got tired of waiting for the 2"springs - mounted it directly to the cross piece and hard mounted the seat to the bike

Dropped it another 2 " and when you are as vertically challenged as I - lower the better
Dr B

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #326 on: June 04, 2011, 09:30:28 pm
I put a new set of tires on.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #327 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:18 pm
I enjoyed a full day of security training of the German ADAC. Worth every penny! Ten guys with very different bikes, bathed in sweat due to the 28°C we had today, shooing their rides through braking, inclination training, a nice little handling course and many other things. Skill comes with practise. I can feel every bone in my body  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #328 on: June 05, 2011, 03:38:40 am
After 5 days of curing, the high-temp gasket seal in the pipe and upswept muffler was more than ready to test.  Alas, the poots and pops of backfires are still present.  I rode it without the middle bracket that R80RT is sending me (thanks again!).  It will likely arrive Monday, about when the next batch of rain is due in Seattle.   :(

The fella who bought the red demo C5 at the shop, complete with upswept muffler, put the OEM torpedo back on it.  He was sick of the backfiring.  I have thought of doing the same thing, and just might.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #329 on: June 05, 2011, 04:44:37 am
Its funny, I wish my bike backfired more.. Adds character! Embrace it!  ;)