Author Topic: which one to buy  (Read 4488 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 10:50:21 pm
Per Adrain's reply. a 2011 would be a UCE engine, right?
If we are talking about the RE's imported into the US, yes.  I believe the 2010 was the first 500cc UCE imported into the US.
I know when I bought my 2011 500cc G5 there were some 2010, UCE 500cc models on the showroom floor.

Getting back to the AVL's, they had aluminum cylinders with a steel sleeve in them.  The connecting rod was changed from the Iron Barrels aluminum rod with a floating sleeve bearing in the big end to a steel rod with a roller bearing big end.

The cylinder head was redesigned and it looks much taller and has more fins than the Iron Barrel.  The valve covers on the AVL are at an angle with respect to the ground and they got rid of the decompression valve in the head, replacing it with a cam that keeps the exhaust valve open when it is applied.
The AVL also replaced the Iron Barrel's two piston oil pump that dates from back in the 1930's with  gear pumps which are much more efficient.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 11:30:33 pm
What finally happened to the AVL?  Why did RE decide to go with their own design?  A better design, less costly to produce, more reliable, or something else?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

radicaldoc

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 07:29:34 pm
Well luckly the electra fell through but now i am very happy i bought myself a Bullet 350 1960 fully retored from the ground up it's great little bike... I am very happy..

I am a happy dumbass it's a 350 not 500 duhhhh!!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:30:05 am by radicaldoc »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:41 pm
A nicely-restored bike, at least by the looks of it, but you can ask why he sold you a 350 Bullet as a 500. I don't know what Spanish consumer legislation allows for, but if it WAS sold to you as a 500 it has been misrepresented.

You can tell it's a 350, not a 500, by the smaller cylinder head. The 500 uses a different casting, either the so-called big head for 1959-61, or else a larger version of the 350 head with more angular fins around the exhaust port for earlier years or the Indian models pre 2009.

Also the 17 inch wheels and forks with the front wheel spindle just forward of the fork center line are typical features of the UK 350 Bullet for the period. The 500 uses 19 inch wheels and has leading axle forks. He has also fitted the tank from an Indian Bullet.

The 500 Bullet from 1960 should look like this:

Here's one from 1959 which shows the cylinder head a little better:

Sorry if this spoils the party, not something I want to do.

A.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:44:27 pm by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

radicaldoc

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 10:55:10 pm
My mistake i just checked i don't know how but i missed it in the add i was sure it was a 500 but it isn't it is a 350.. dumb or what.... :o

still like it though and i don't want one any bigger in size as i have dicky knee's so all good but theanks for the heads up..Adrian
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:04:04 pm by radicaldoc »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 11:12:18 pm
Ah, a possible case of the red mist, eh?  ;)

The thing is THIS: if you didn't pay an excessive amount for it, and it's as good a bike as it looks, just get on and enjoy it. If you head on over to the Vintage Royal Enfield/Indian section of this forum there is a lot more about the UK-built bikes there.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 02:13:04 am
That reminds me: my oldest granddaughter is attending the Freie University in Berlin and is majoring in German and German literature. The younger one is attending UC Santa Cruz and majoring in linguistics, with a minor in Russian.  I have no idea how any of these majors will provide a living for them in the future.  ???

I dunno...I managed to parlay a mumbly fluency in German cobbled together from about 5 years in Berlin back in the '80s into a pretty good living on the Federal tit. My Russian isn't nearly as good...In fact, it might cause unprepared native speakers to suffer internal bleeding, but my adorable Muskovite wife approves whenever I at least give it a whirl.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 01:55:23 pm
I dunno...I managed to parlay a mumbly fluency in German cobbled together from about 5 years in Berlin back in the '80s into a pretty good living on the Federal tit. My Russian isn't nearly as good...In fact, it might cause unprepared native speakers to suffer internal bleeding, but my adorable Muskovite wife approves whenever I at least give it a whirl.

Well then.  I guess there is hope that the kids will be able to support their parents when they get old.   ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 05:46:36 pm
I'm sure there will always be a need for people who can speak several different languages.

Now, if they majored in the subject my nephew did, you would have a reason to worry.
After transferring to a highly recognized College in England and nearly bankrupting my sister in law,  he got his degree in Shakespearean Acting !   :o

There isn't a hell of a lot of job openings around for Shakespearean actors these days.  I think the peek demand went down about 400 years ago.

Today, he's working as a waiter at a local restaurant.  A job he could have qualified for fresh out of High School.
 :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:53 pm
I'm sure there will always be a need for people who can speak several different languages.

Now, if they majored in the subject my nephew did, you would have a reason to worry.
After transferring to a highly recognized College in England and nearly bankrupting my sister in law,  he got his degree in Shakespearean Acting !   :o

There isn't a hell of a lot of job openings around for Shakespearean actors these days.  I think the peek demand went down about 400 years ago.

Today, he's working as a waiter at a local restaurant.  A job he could have qualified for fresh out of High School.

And so it goes with the younger generation.  Especially when their parents pick up the tab for their education like my daughter and I are doing for her two girls.   ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 05:32:31 am

Once again, it all boils down to luck and making your own as best you can, or as the Bard assures us, "Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to Heaven." So, for example, once your nephew tires of serving up jalapeno poppers, his degree from a British university--ANY  British university--in Shakespearean Drama means he could be just a light Ph.D. in most anything at all away from an easy layup to a good solid tenure track professorship in most any college stateside with a Drama Department. The pay's not typically stellar, but that can still be a pretty sweet ride for a free spirit, what with those paid year sabbaticals and other perks. Were it my  nephew, I'd suggest doubling down with a job or internship at some place like the Folger Shakespeare Library in DC to keep his hand on that pulse, ear to the ground, and to sharpen up his thespian nerd cred even more. The fact that the Library of Congress, the 9,000 Pound Gorilla of research resources, is also just across the street from the Folger means he'd have every duck neatly in a row for absitively deadly research, should he wish to finally get to the bottom of just what the hell made that Iago such a malevolent prick, which might have all the makings for a nicely trenchant thesis in our own Age of Intersectionality

"Wast the poppers not to thy liking, mine lord?"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:39:29 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.