Author Topic: 1955 bullet decompression valve  (Read 899 times)

Stuey

• Scooter
on: December 08, 2023, 03:29:31 pm
Hi could anyone tell me where the decompression valve dumps its compression. I can see the Small hole when valve is removed but can't see where in exhaust side it comes out. Valve is lifting off its seat up still getting full compression and it won't stop motor.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 05:01:35 pm
There is a small passage just above the decompressor valve seat that connects across to the exhaust port. This could be carboned up. Maybe some spray carbon blaster could soften or remove it. Pull the decompressor and peer down into the cavity, the passage will be on the exhaust side.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 02:57:23 am
Hey - how did that decompressor issue work out?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Stuey

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 01:47:53 pm
I can see the passage when I remove de compressor valve but it must be blocked . Didn't want to pull head but think I will have to. I've fully rebuilt engine but missed this.
Can't see where the passage exits into exhaust port 🤔

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 03:50:40 pm
Looking into the exhaust port it's on the upper left. Scrape away some carbon until you see clean metal. The passage will be a black carbon dot. Maybe a stiff wire can be used to auger it's way thru up to the decompressor port.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 09:29:45 pm
You should be able poke through the hole into the exhaust port. If you remove the header pipe, you should also be able to remove any debris from there. So no need to pull the head for that, as long the exhaust valve is closed and you don't drop anything into the decompressor bore. ;)

Stuey

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 01:45:33 pm
Thanks for the info
Cheers and happy new year
Stu