Author Topic: Geoffs Modifications  (Read 2965 times)

Olbilford

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 09:48:04 pm
That is his experience,jizzo…why ya gotta get gruff.? Ya know forum don’t mean fight… so your battery  adventure is different… let him give his opinion,mate. This has not one fux to do with this thread….you just are lashing out on a bloke who is trying to help….boo,mate…booon you…
Old saddend bilford

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 12:49:03 am
That is his experience,jizzo…why ya gotta get gruff.? Ya know forum don’t mean fight… so your battery  adventure is different… let him give his opinion,mate. This has not one fux to do with this thread….you just are lashing out on a bloke who is trying to help….boo,mate…booon you…
Old saddend bilford
Don't get your panties in a bunch, precious. I asked the guy if the information he had was from personal experience or not. there's no harm in that. I only give advice when it's from my personal experience, from the perspective of a trained and qualified mechanic. Not everyone on every forum has the same standards. There's a lot of cut and paste going on. If you think we're locking horns on this, I can call the Waaaaaambulance for you.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 01:48:20 am
While I'm at it, opinions are not the same as facts. That's a very American Trump era mistake to make
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 02:10:20 am
BakerDom
I was the one who posted the weight saving data from replacing my Paiolis with Hagons.
Rather than typing the explanation of how Gizzo is able to charge his lithium batteries with a Pb charger, check out this link which can help when a Li charger is unavailable (or cactus).

https://youtu.be/zTQmIY8e_PY
Riding a motorcycle is like life; it's about the journey not the destination.

Olbilford

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 05:25:18 am
While I'm at it, opinions are not the same as facts. That's a very American Trump era mistake to make
just sayin man…now I’m a trump lover? Ok …I’m not..you sound like you need the whaaaaamulance…..hahaha ..that’s a good un. Enjoy your machine..
Kisses
B

BakerDom

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 09:49:57 am
Hi Gunr
Thank you for the information.

Whilst it is possible to use a non-Lithium charger - the 'caveat' in the video is that -

The presenter states that the charger would need to have a power supply 'mode' and the charger  - would then would need to be switched to this power supply 'mode' - to provide the right charge.

I was simply try to advise the use of an appropriate charger...

Gizzo,

Thank you for your further updates.

Please note - I am not insisting all ---- everyone is free to make their own choice.

In answer to you question - yes there was a short section that I cut and pasted as I thought it relevant and useful - its from a very informative article from Motorcycle.com  - please see - full article here -  https://www.motorcycle.com/products/lithium-motorcycle-batteries-myths-vs-realities

So-

Further information  -

Some also say - don't use a PB acid charger, some say make sure you don't use a charger with the de-sulpherisation cycle, others say some they charge at too high an amperage, etc...

Modern good quality Motorcycle Lithium batteries have BMS systems built in - which should protect the Li battery.

From my experience - with over 45 years of riding bikes/repairing/rebuilding my own/servicing etc...... which included 6 years at a lead smelter/refiner - which also included dealing the recycling many different types of batteries and seeing various issues that had occurred - for whatever charging/aging reason.

I am only sharing my experience -

I top up my batteries once a month over the winter - so no problems with the Li batteries or my Pb batteries - its simply a precaution for my own peace of mind.

I had replaced an old Optimate charger which wasn't suitable for the Li battery - when I checked with supplier (and no I didn't buy another from them) - I went with the Motorpower one - which can do both types of battery - as its an 'automatic' charger.

I perhaps should have been clearer in the detail previously supplied - when I said I only use a Lithium charger - so for the sake of clarity and to be more specific -

Its a Motorpower Automatic Charger - which will charger PB acid or Li batteries.

I was simply try to advise the use of an appropriate charger...

Hope this helps!

Geoff Vader

• 2 Strokes are better than 4
  • Scooter
Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 12:16:45 pm
Just a small suggestion guys.

If you want to have an argument about Li/Po Li/Ion or Pb batteries then fuck off and start your own thread, don’t hijack mine :)
I can kill you with a tray!

BakerDom

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: February 23, 2024, 02:53:09 pm
Geoff

No Hijack of post was intended -  simple clarification on points raised was provided - post's sometimes go off on a tangent!

Enjoy your post - goodbye.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: February 23, 2024, 08:40:13 pm
Geoff

No Hijack of post was intended -  simple clarification on points raised was provided - post's sometimes go off on a tangent!

Enjoy your post - goodbye.

Indeed. Cheerio.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Geoff Vader

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 02:38:38 pm
Well, managed to have quite a productive couple of days and finished the back end.

Replaced the exhaust hanger with an aluminium one. I think the back end looks much better without the completely unnecessary pillion footpeg hangers.

Made a couple of ‘racing’ number plates and I’m now getting the look I want.

I can move onto the mid section now.

Olbilford

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 01, 2024, 09:45:29 pm
Lookin’ tight,mate!
Hold fast,
Bilford

Marty McFly

• Legend in my own lunchbox
  • Scooter
  • 2016 GT 535. Fixing bike and relearning to ride...
Reply #26 on: March 18, 2024, 11:32:31 am
Just a small suggestion guys.

If you want to have an argument about Li/Po Li/Ion or Pb batteries then fuck off and start your own thread, don’t hijack mine :)

Late responder here... I've just been perusing your post and the above gave me a good laugh. How many times have I wanted to say something like that recently? Lots! I used to be a sparky in Australia and on building sites it was bloody common to say what you thought in unambiguous language and it was generally accepted with equanimity. These days it's often different...

At risk of hijacking your thread here and not sure that you will be interested in my recent battery experience, but then you are always welcome to tell me how I should head off :)

I just made myself a battery using 4 sodium cells. I chose big ones 32x140mm as I had no idea just how high the cranking amps would need to be. As it turns out I probably could have gone smaller, these things have no trouble cranking a 535.

No idea how well sodium cells will handle the vibration, but they are cheap enough, claimed to be resilient regarding full discharge and maximum voltage is comfortably higher than the regulator will put out if it's healthy. (I'll try to find out if RE regulators should be trusted or replaced. Comments welcome.).

I actually bought my first cell welder, cheap and effective. The only downside being that I completely forgot to add balance leads for the occasional balancing act. I'll get around to adding them at some point.

I've previously used home made packs in full size homebuilt aircraft. They were LifePo4 and absolutely brilliant. Stayed in balance quite well and handled being charged by the standard Pb regulator without issue. Oh, and started the aircraft far better than Pb...

BTW, love the look after pillion peg hanger removal. I've been considering that for myself given that my wife has zero interest of getting on the back. One look at your photos has convinced me.

Regards
Marty

PS: (late edit)

BakerDom, Gizzo and anyone else please don't mistake my post as any commentary on the discussion. I was just laughing because it felt like the old days for me. Back when we could tell someone to piss off (or similar) regardless of whether it was really warranted or not. And we could still get along and work well together.

These days there are people who feel entitled to lose the plot over something called "micro aggressions". WTF?

Took my Enfield to the local mountain last Saturday for the first time. It was glorious only thinking about lines in corners and finessing gear changes. I've missed riding bikes all these years...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:13:02 pm by Marty McFly »

Geoff Vader

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2024, 04:21:03 pm
Hi Marty,

Thanks for your response. I’ve worked in engineering all my life combined with 22 years in the RAF and wouldn’t have survived unless you said what you thought. 😂 It seems to be a modern problem of our woke society that people look to be offended. Whilst in the RAF, in one of my annual assessments, it was observed that “this man does not tolerate fools easily. This is unfortunate when the fool is of a higher rank than he is”. Never stopped me though, I was promoted ever 3 years.

Interesting about your batteries, I have these from aero modelling projects and will probably use them connected in parallel. Problem with buying the bike specific ones is that they pack them out to make them the size of the original battery. I want the space where the existing battery is to make a much bigger air box and fit the Lion/Lipo batteries underneath. They are 14.8v so should as you say handle charging just fine.

I’m still working the front end of the bike but should be finished by the weekend somI’ll put more pics up then.

Glad you’re enjoying riding, I’m building another rgv250 for some real exciting riding in about 15 months time.

Guess I’ll just have to work on the micro aggressions, I don’t know how I’ll survive on X/Twitter without them. 😂😂

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: March 20, 2024, 12:22:42 am
Hey Geoff,
I notice your (two?) horn/s tucked up under the front of the tank on the LHS. Are they Fiamm horns and did you fabricate a bracket to site them there?
Riding a motorcycle is like life; it's about the journey not the destination.

Geoff Vader

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: March 22, 2024, 04:14:58 pm
Hi Gunr, they’re not expensive ones, plastic, metal and extremely loud! I took them off while tidying the front end and can now shorten the cables to them. I used the bracket for the air injector valve with a couple I’ve made out of extruded aluminium. I’ve painted them black now and they’re ready to go back on.

Spent 15 minutes tidying the wiring in the headlamp shell, I can now fit the headlight without busting a gut.

To date, I’ve reduced the weight by 13.6 kg, still got the battery to get rid of and alloy engine plates so it will be well over 20kg by the time I’ve finished. That’s over 10% weight saving!