Author Topic: Startmotor eBay Store -- any experience with?  (Read 1265 times)

motoboy

• Scooter
on: August 17, 2022, 05:02:21 am
Anyone order stuff from Startmotor on eBay?

Their store rating is decent, & their exhaust options look great.

I'm not wanting to void warranty with one just yet, but it is tempting & even more so if anyone here has good feedback to report.

I messaged the store & asked about tuning requirements & baffles -- they swore it would need none. Skeptical on that, but I don't know.

Attached are some of my favorites they offer. I am leaning toward the Auto Fabrica-esque dramatic swept pipes in the upper left.
Current:
2022 Royal Enfield INT650

History:
2010 Harley XL883N Iron
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2015 Honda VT750CB Shadow Phantom

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 10:35:53 am
One thing you can be sure of, they will be offensively loud.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 02:56:02 pm
looks like the usual generic thai stuff. doubt they have done any tuning tests whatsoever lol.

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:36:42 pm
Anyone order stuff from Startmotor on eBay?

Their store rating is decent, & their exhaust options look great.

I'm not wanting to void warranty with one just yet, but it is tempting & even more so if anyone here has good feedback to report.

I messaged the store & asked about tuning requirements & baffles -- they swore it would need none. Skeptical on that, but I don't know.

Attached are some of my favorites they offer. I am leaning toward the Auto Fabrica-esque dramatic swept pipes in the upper left.

Given that they've got 100% positive feedback out 152 positives and no negative feedback are you going to base your decision on a few people here? If per chance somebody ordered something?

You may not have to tune anything, but keep it mind if you don't you might gain in one area and lose in another. It's all about a tradeoff.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

motoboy

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 01:59:57 am
Given that they've got 100% positive feedback out 152 positives and no negative feedback are you going to base your decision on a few people here? If per chance somebody ordered something?

Precisely that! I don't want a cumulative measure but rather more qualitative data on build quality, sound, and performance. If I'm dropping $600 I'd love all the data I can get and I figure if the store is aimed at RE riders, this would be the spot. I messaged the store & asked a few questions about tuning, and baffling, but who knows for sure.

I know I'd like lower-profile/narrower pipes with more sound than the stock, but not at the trade-off of acceleration or MPG.
Current:

History:
2010 Harley XL883N Iron
2013 Suzuki TU250X

RandomPasserby535

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:00:50 pm

Soooo....  Funny you raise those question!   

To answer your first question:  yes, you should definitely ping a trusted group of people when ordering from an unknown overseas source  (as I wish I had done, four months ago).

To answer your second question: Why, yes!  I have indeed ordered something from the ebay store OP asked about... and have since learned a lot about ebay policies, paypal policies, Thai shipping, Thai defamation law (srsly), and the lengths that some people will go to scam others.

In short, my experience is as follows: I purchased a ~$300usd item 4 months ago.  Seller promptly sent me pack a Thai Post tracking number that was invalid.  I messaged the seller in early July, trying to collect a correct tracking number and ship date.  Seller repeatedly tells me he ships by shipping container, and the tracking number will resolve at the USPS website once they open the container in the US.

At one point I ask for anything -- a receipt, a shipping invoice, a bill-of-lading -- demonstrating he has indeed shipped the item.   So he sends me a photo of a crate sitting next to a Thai Airways jet.  For the fun of it, I do a reverse google image search; turns out that same photo was published in Q4 2021, announcing the arrival of 1 million covid "vaccines" flown from Bejing to Bangkok. So... yeah.

But decided to wait it out -- despite having already discovered and participated in conversations about this joker on Reddit -- figuring I have other projects keeping me busy, and naively having faith in humanity.  At the end of my estimated shipping window (originally end of July, pushed back to end of August) I send a request through ebay asking for a refund since the item has not been delivered.  Today, the joker updates my order with a different tracking number.  Not a Thai Post, not a shipping container, but rather DHL express... which claims the item was delivered (somewhere in my city) at the end of June.   Keep in mind, this joker was talking about overseas crates and stuff in July and August... and I was at home at the date/time of alleged delivery, with no fewer than five cameras on two security networks pointed between my driveway and the front porch.

So yeah, "Startmotor" on ebay is running a scam.   There are accounts elsewhere on the 'net echoing what I've just conveyed above.  And I've taken screenshots of people writing negative reviews on his ebay store page.   But, ebay allows sellers to delete xx amount of negative feedback per week/month.  It's been said elsewhere on the 'net that there's no reason anyone with over ~1300 feedback scores should have anything lower than 98% positive.  This joker is obviously gaming that system, Thailand's extensive libel protection laws may be facilitating this.

Below is what I sent ebay today; I only passed by here because I was searching for more links to add to the ammo can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seller is providing fake tracking numbers and not shipping items.  He is repeatedly deleting negative feedback (which I have screenshot'd) from his profile, from buyers trying to warn others.

I don't just want my money back...  I want to know why ebay and Paypal allow this scam to continue. At what point should these corporations be held responsible for unaddressed malevolent actors on their platform?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rotterdam/comments/mrjbiz/anyone_familiar_with_startmotor/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CRF300L/comments/vq5h1z/buyer_beware_startmotor_store_on_ebay_its_been_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/royalenfield/comments/x45zeq/buyers_be_ware_of_startmotor_on_ebay/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/vh1pvr/ordered_some_honda_parts_from_ebay_shipper_sent/

https://www.ninja400riders.com/threads/dont-buy-parts-accessories-from-startmotors-thailand-on-ebay.9765/

I'd share more links, plus more details about my current situation with this "seller", but ran out of space.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 09:22:32 pm

To answer your first question:  yes, you should definitely ping a trusted group of people when ordering from an unknown overseas source  (as I wish I had done, four months ago).

To answer your second question: Why, yes!  I have indeed ordered something from the ebay store OP asked about... and have since learned a lot about ebay policies, paypal policies, Thai shipping, Thai defamation law (srsly), and the lengths that some people will go to scam others.

In short, my experience is as follows: I purchased a ~$300usd item 4 months ago.  Seller promptly sent me pack a Thai Post tracking number that was invalid.  I messaged the seller in early July, trying to collect a correct tracking number and ship date.  Seller repeatedly tells me he ships by shipping container, and the tracking number will resolve at the USPS website once they open the container in the US.

At one point I ask for anything -- a receipt, a shipping invoice, a bill-of-lading -- demonstrating he has indeed shipped the item.   So he sends me a photo of a crate sitting next to a Thai Airways jet.  For the fun of it, I do a reverse google image search; turns out that same photo was published in Q4 2021, announcing the arrival of 1 million covid "vaccines" flown from Bejing to Bangkok. So... yeah.

But decided to wait it out -- despite having already discovered and participated in conversations about this joker on Reddit -- figuring I have other projects keeping me busy, and naively having faith in humanity.  At the end of my estimated shipping window (originally end of July, pushed back to end of August) I send a request through ebay asking for a refund since the item has not been delivered.  Today, the joker updates my order with a different tracking number.  Not a Thai Post, not a shipping container, but rather DHL express... which claims the item was delivered (somewhere in my city) at the end of June.   Keep in mind, this joker was talking about overseas crates and stuff in July and August... and I was at home at the date/time of alleged delivery, with no fewer than five cameras on two security networks pointed between my driveway and the front porch.

So yeah, "Startmotor" on ebay is running a scam.   There are accounts elsewhere on the 'net echoing what I've just conveyed above.  And I've taken screenshots of people writing negative reviews on his ebay store page.   But, ebay allows sellers to delete xx amount of negative feedback per week/month.  It's been said elsewhere on the 'net that there's no reason anyone with over ~1300 feedback scores should have anything lower than 98% positive.  This joker is obviously gaming that system, Thailand's extensive libel protection laws may be facilitating this.

Below is what I sent ebay today; I only passed by here because I was searching for more links to add to the ammo can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seller is providing fake tracking numbers and not shipping items.  He is repeatedly deleting negative feedback (which I have screenshot'd) from his profile, from buyers trying to warn others.

I don't just want my money back...  I want to know why ebay and Paypal allow this scam to continue. At what point should these corporations be held responsible for unaddressed malevolent actors on their platform?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rotterdam/comments/mrjbiz/anyone_familiar_with_startmotor/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CRF300L/comments/vq5h1z/buyer_beware_startmotor_store_on_ebay_its_been_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/royalenfield/comments/x45zeq/buyers_be_ware_of_startmotor_on_ebay/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/vh1pvr/ordered_some_honda_parts_from_ebay_shipper_sent/

https://www.ninja400riders.com/threads/dont-buy-parts-accessories-from-startmotors-thailand-on-ebay.9765/

I'd share more links, plus more details about my current situation with this "seller", but ran out of space.

Good PSA, thanks.

RandomPasserby535

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 09:31:36 pm
Anyone order stuff from Startmotor on eBay?   Their store rating is decent

Yes, one or two people order from his store each day, judging by the pace negative reviews are posted and subsequently deleted by the seller...

motoboy

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 06:07:24 pm

WOW! Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry you had to deal with this crap. eBay needs to do better to protect consumers and not allow stores to remove or hide negative reviews and at a certain point they should just close the user's store. I am glad I asked about this & this information is a super valuable resource going forward. Thanks again!

The hunt for cool (non-S&S two into one) exhaust continues!  8)
Current:

History:
2010 Harley XL883N Iron
2013 Suzuki TU250X