Author Topic: Taking a breath  (Read 759 times)

redpat1

• Scooter
on: August 17, 2022, 08:29:41 pm
Hi everyone. I am picking up my new meteor fireball red in the morning (Thursday).
I currently ride a stage 4 1200 harley sportster (which im keeping) that I love but recently have often found riding it full time a bit of a headbanger. Over the last several months, with family life and such it hasn't gotten ridden as much for day to day use as it's heavy to manoeuvre out the garage and is far too torquey around town, especially with the slightest hint of wet weather. I am feeling the need to calm things down day to day and take a breath. Maybe it's an age thing as I'm approaching what is commonly known as middle age ;)
Being a previous re twin owner I was intrigued by all the fuss over the meteor, watching all the YouTube reviews I could find, driving the family mental in the process.
I nipped down to my local dealer this past weekend and rode all the 350 and 411 variants but the meteor was just brilliant and really hit the right note. It handles, was plenty fast enough about town and will make a great all year, all weather ride I think. I even found myself laughing in my helmet while riding back to the dealership around a long urban but twisty road. I just felt at home and joyful, just happy to be on board. Im not sure why its so fulfilling to ride, the numbers on paper arent particularly appealing but it really is more than the sum of its parts.
I went in and paid for it on the spot. I opted for the fireball red with touring seat, fly screen, sissy bar and a few other ordered from hitchcocks.
I can definitely see this becoming my main ride, even for longer adventures.
Just got to plod my way through the run in period now! Currently feeling like a kid at Christmas and looking forward to cruising the back roads of Kent and further afield.
Any tips on running in appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:51:48 pm by redpat1 »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 08:35:31 pm
There has already been extensive discussion on the breaking in process here. Have a search through fairly recent threads.

I maintain the owner's manual is way too conservative on their numbers, ridiculous actually.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:58:57 pm
Cheers Dexter, I've read the threads but they tend to generally end in conflicting advice and opinions.
I think you are probably right with a common sense approach and riding sensibly, not over stressing the engine massively.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 09:15:01 pm
Redpat1 - Myself, coming from rice-burners, adapting to the torque of the long stroke heavy flywheel machines was a learning experience, but maybe not for yourself having had some Sportster time. The 20 HP or so is about on par with the I.B. 500, and you get the good gearbox. Everything I read on the Meteor really rings true for my old I.B.'s too, except without the constant fettling and less vibration. A "small" torquey bike like the I.B. 350 has conquered continents while carrying 150 pounds of gear and the rider, I'm sure the Meteor could do the same with much less trouble. The only thing the 350 won't do is swallow 1,000 miles of pavement in a day, but at this stage in our lives a 300 mile day with photo and rest stops is the real reward. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:45:48 pm
Thanks AzCal. I still have the sportie for when I feel like or need to cover distance at higher speeds. Most of my riding is back and forth from the gym or the village. Getting the harley out for short journeys is a pain In the neck.
I am really looking forward to just being able take my time and travel the back roads to see where it leads me. I'm sure I'll soon get used to a more sedate pace. Thanks for commenting

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 10:01:43 pm
It all makes perfect sense to me--a "horses for courses" thing. Do you really want or need to wake and saddle the V-Twin dragon just to nip down to the shops for some milk or get a little wind blowing through your hair? I love driving my old 25 footer RV on trips, but I'm not likely to take it to the supermarket.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 10:58:20 pm
Cheers Bilgemaster, you've hit the nail on the head. You are right about it being a v-twin dragon too but I haven't felt wind in any hair for a long time.🤣

KENNRIDE

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 05:32:04 am
Hi, I have purchased The New Classic 350 Reborn and I couldn't be happier..... about the running in period... when  I reached the 500 km mark and can go a little bit quicker  it has been easy from there on.... these motors have plenty of torque so don't need a lot of revs.. I live in a mid-sized country town in Australia it is ideal... doing the backroads thing is so much fun... I actually have time to look around.😋 ..the young Indian guy at the local  servo spotted my bike the other day and was so excited he has already ordered one...👍

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 08:11:41 am
Thanks Kenride, sounds like the perfect bike. Definately looking forward to being able to take my time and notice my surroundings. By the way, what's a servo? 😄

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 12:40:45 pm
Welcome Sir! The break-in is a bit tedious, and you'll probably find the bike will run better and better over the first few thousand miles. A no load warm-up of a few minutes when the engine is cold is recommended in the owner's manual. I've come to love my Meteor for its super comfy riding position, smooth running and shifting, excellent fuel economy and light handling. It's everything I hoped for in a single cylinder motorcycle. Excited for you and your new Meteor!

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 04:16:33 pm
Thanks for the welcome20 marklll. I picked up the bike a few hours ago and promptly took the long route home. It's a beauty, cant wait for it to loosen up and give a little.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 07:05:36 pm
Welcome to our world!

https://studentone.com/we-translated-aussie-slang-so-you-dont-have-to/#:~:text=A%20servo%20is%20a%20service,up%20your%20car%20with%20petrol.

Servo = Service or Gas Station:  A servo is a service or gas station, as in, a place where you fill up your car with petrol.  “I need to fill up at the servo”
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.