Author Topic: Checking Oil Level - Meteor 350 Super Nova  (Read 11367 times)

Gearset807

• Scooter
on: July 30, 2022, 09:53:36 pm
I recently checked the oil level on my engine according to the procedure used in the owners manual and according to the directions the oil level is too low. The owners manual says to put the bike on the center stand, start the engine and let it warm up a little, and then stop the engine and wait a couple minutes for the oil to drain back down. According to the owners manual the level of the oil should be at the max level in the sight glass.
The owners manual also emphasized not to check the engine oil level when it’s cold.

I talked to the dealer where I purchased the bike and they told me the owners manual is incorrect. If you fill and check the oil using the directions in the manual you will overfill the engine oil.

The dealer said that I should just raise the bike to the level position, not putting it on the center stand, and check the oil level at that point. The oil should just be just below the max line in the sight glass. The dealer also said that they check the oil level when the engine is cold.

Is this common knowledge? I’m one of those stupid people that actually read the owners manual.

I have attached a picture of the oil level in the side glass with the bike on it center stand.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 10:12:32 pm by Gearset807 »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 10:26:19 pm
Your dealer is somewhat correct. How they would expect you to hold the bike level though, not on the centre stand, while getting down on the floor to look into the sight glass, escapes me! Unless you always have a helper on hand, but if you do that while away from home and ask a stranger, expect some strange looks from the person.

There is nothing wrong with having the bike on the centre stand to check the oil level - period.

Like other misinformation in the manual, - eg. the break in speeds - the manual must have been written by a bunch of monkeys (no slight intended to any monkeys reading this). Always check the oil level cold, or after sitting for quite some time, as running it will only disperse the oil throughout the engine, where it will take time to drain down again. More time than the average person wants to wait. The only time you need to run the engine to check the level, is after an oil and filter change, as the filter will need to fill with its normal level of residual oil and you will likely need to top the oil up after running. Wait at least 20 - 30 minutes for a fairly complete drain down.

Oil does expand as it heats, which may make the level appear slightly higher after running, but this is negligible to the needs of setting to a correct level.

I and others here, have reported that the oil level appeared too high from the factory, as the level was not visible at all in the sight glass. Tipping the bike slightly to the left side though, with the wife doing the tipping, had the level appear not far off of vertical, so it was slightly overfilled. Again, not a problem and only would be if the level was so high that the crankshaft was hitting the oil in the sump.

On, or close to, the max level is fine. It isn't an exact millilitre measurement requirement.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 10:40:26 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 10:28:58 pm
Just saw your posted pic, after I had spent several minutes typing my reply.

Yes, you need to top up your oil, although at the minimum line, the engine is still not in danger of damage.

I must say, that is very clear looking oil. Must be a new change, but even so, it almost looks like water! What brand is it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 10:35:30 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Gearset807

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 11:42:05 pm
I just got the bike back from it’s 300 mile service. So the oil is fresh. According to the dealer my oil level is fine that is what is puzzling me. The picture that I have is on the center stand. The dealer said checking it on the center stand is incorrect. Having it on the bottom mark while on the center stand means that the oil is OK, according to the dealer.

According to my receipt they used Shell 4T Synthetic oil. 15 W 50.

Just saw your posted pic, after I had spent several minutes typing my reply.

Yes, you need to top up your oil, although at the minimum line, the engine is still not in danger of damage.

I must say, that is very clear looking oil. Must be a new change, but even so, it almost looks like water! What brand is it?

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 12:34:40 am
I just got the bike back from it’s 300 mile service. So the oil is fresh. According to the dealer my oil level is fine that is what is puzzling me. The picture that I have is on the center stand. The dealer said checking it on the center stand is incorrect. Having it on the bottom mark while on the center stand means that the oil is OK, according to the dealer.

According to my receipt they used Shell 4T Synthetic oil. 15 W 50.

I have never heard, in my life long experience with motorcycles, that the centre stand should not be used to check oil level.  ???

Why would a manufacturer design a bike with that crazy way to check their machine's oil levels? If anything, it would cause many owners not to be able to, or to even bother with checking the level regularly, with such a stupid rule. I would not be dealing with that dealer for something as simple as an oil change! Learn to do it yourself. All the tools you need are in the bike tool kit, although a few better quality tools would be a good idea.

RE even has online tutorials that can guide you in this easy job. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3BNgcaM1g&list=PLT1BEDU54E1SKBG28gF49AclawHddstLm&index=20

Ignore the part about starting the engine before draining, unless you are doing it in the dead of winter, as warmer oil will drain faster, but at summer temperatures, just drain the engine cold, which eliminates the need for a drain down time.

You need to add some oil, if that level (on the centre stand) remains as depicted in your picture. Go to any auto parts store that sells that brand and buy yourself a gallon. It will last for two or three more oil changes.

Maybe your dealer has a service rep who just fills out the orders and takes your money after. Did he actually look at that level? Maybe he just relied on the mechanic knowing what he is doing, because obviously, someone doesn't.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:37:12 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 12:45:07 am
As I mentioned earlier, I had the wife tip the bike slightly left while I looked to check at how high my factory oil fill actually was and the bike was not on any stand. The oil level did not drop at all sitting on its wheels. Just further proof that this dealer's thoughts on the centre stand changing the level is bullshit.

The title of this thread should be, "Another incompetent RE dealer".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:50:26 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Gearset807

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 05:10:11 am
It is interesting because I did talk to the service manager at this Royal Enfield dealership in great detail about this.

He explained to me In great detail that when the motorcycle is on it’s center stand it does raise the rear end of the bike. That means that the site glass is higher than if it is sitting on the ground not on the center stand.

Understand, I’m not trying to argue with you I’m just explaining in detail what he said. So it sounds like what he saying is based on experience or he’s just making it up.

Tomorrow I will see if I can get someone to help me hold the bike level and verify his claim. But, according to what you’ve told me you’ve already done this?

But, I still find it beyond me that Royal Enfield would not only have it wrong in the owners manual but they would also produce a video and publish it without anyone contacting them about the problem it will cause if they fill the oil using the method that they depict.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the wife tip the bike slightly left while I looked to check at how high my factory oil fill actually was and the bike was not on any stand. The oil level did not drop at all sitting on its wheels. Just further proof that this dealer's thoughts on the centre stand changing the level is bullshit.

The title of this thread should be, "Another incompetent RE dealer".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 05:18:56 am by Gearset807 »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 07:25:30 am
The only thing wrong about the manual (and the video) is it telling you to run the engine first before checking the level. There is no need to do that - unless - as I said previously, you are in the process of changing the oil and filter.

And yes, the RE video also does not tell you to run the engine after the oil/filter change, but that is an oversight on their part that should have been mentioned. I suppose that since the video instructs you to put in an exact amount of oil, RE considers the factory spec on what that should be with a normal oil drain and not an engine teardown, as all that it will need. This is rarely the case.

Maybe that video is where the tech at your shop learned how to change the oil and hence, always has bikes leaving the shop a bit low.  ;D

I was going to ask you to check the level both on the stand and off, to see for yourself that the "service manager", using that term loosely here, is full of malarky on this issue.

Let's look at the tires  .  .  .  hmmm  .  .  we have a 17" rear tire and a 19" front tire! Wouldn't the front end be sitting higher, thus tilting the oil level the other way, compared to sitting on the centre stand? Stupid argument on both counts.

Re your service done at this dealer, I'm curious to know if they actually did the required valve clearance inspection too, but I shudder to think of how they might have screwed  that up!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:36:11 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 09:49:56 am
I share our joint puzzlement.  What possible point is there in starting and running the engine, and then stopping it, before checking the oil level?  All it does is push the oil all round the engine so you have to wait for it to drain down again.

With every other vehicle I've owned - on two or four wheels - the correct procedure is to measure the oil level when the vehicle has been standing unused.  That way the oil has had plenty of time to drain back.  It's the only way to get a consistent reading.

The Meteor is an astonishing piece of design and engineering, but I think the handbook was written by numpties.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 03:04:09 pm
I just got the bike back from it’s 300 mile service. The dealer said checking it on the center stand is incorrect.

That's just Silly. Bike oil level all over the world is being checked on center stands as we speak. I don't want to badmouth the dealer so I'll just say it's silly :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 04:32:51 pm
Hi

Not sure if it was my 2003 Fazer or my 2001 XJ600, but one of those it said to take it off the stand to measure.  But I found with that it seemed to be no difference on or off the stand.  I did get my wife to lean on the rear whilst I put chock under to front wheel to make them level, but this doesn't allow for the compression of the rear suspension.

I have never had a problem with testing it on the centre stand.

Colin

Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

Royal Enfield Meteor Supernova

Gearset807

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 06:37:15 am
Well, I did compare the two. When I put the bike on the center stand the oil level is at the bottom mark. When I hold the bike level, off of the center stand, the oil is at the top mark.

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 06:47:05 am
One of my Yamaha bike manuals did say to take it off the stand.  This makes it level and takes up some drop in the rear suspension.  My wife held the bike upright while I checked it.
Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride:

michiel

• Bulleteer
  • Meteor 2021, Germany, Hamburg
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 07:40:58 am
Where has the good old oil dipstick gone?

oldcolin

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 09:43:57 am
I agree with that last comment
Past Rides:

Honda H100
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda CB500
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha XJ600

Current Ride: