Author Topic: 505cc warm over  (Read 3812 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #30 on: August 02, 2022, 12:05:40 pm
Next tip I'm after is head torque

Stock 32 NM  23.5 ft-lb
Ace recommends only 27 NM  20 ft-lb

I did mine 20 after Ace Headwork 9.8:1. No sign of any weeping. I look with a very bright light every now & then.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: August 02, 2022, 03:01:28 pm
After a few short rides I was surprised how loose the nuts were when it came time to re-torque them, I probably check them again next time I have the tank off.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #32 on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:40 pm
Definitely the lowest value. If Ace says 20, creep up on that figure. India alloy is soft. I do mine by feel, "light snug", but it's all stock bits, not Ace's wizard hardware.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2022, 08:15:17 pm
Yesterday was a success , got it all together and gave it a run on the bench, I can say just from that short run that the sound of the muffler now with packing in it  is far better.

So today I'm going to ride it and see how it goes  , right now I'm going to clean up the shed and wait for the sun to warm up the air temp a bit  8)

Here s a couple of pics

Big valve head

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: August 04, 2022, 06:43:51 am
Took the bike out today , rode about a mile pulled over check the spark plug , it was way to lean so went up 3 sizes on the main jet. Carried on riding pulling over every so often to check the plug ,Played around with the needle a bit and went up one more size on the main jet , it's close enough to run in so did a bit over 40 miles.

It goes good obversly I couldn't thrash it but I can tell it's got more go ,can't wait to get this running in business out the way.

Did a compression test when I got home it has 140 psi

The repair job on the muffler is amazing , a lot quieter and the sound is is awesome I can't believe H's sell those damn things with no packing in them , it doesn't make any sense, away its sorted now.

So the bike is back on the bench to have push rod adjustment and check the timing again and just a general look over .  So far so good  👍

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: August 16, 2022, 08:27:00 am
G’day

So I’ve just got back to tinkering with the Enfield, fitted the H’s advance springs as per KCs recommendation and a new complete points plate (mine still looked like new ).

Also fitted to the TM 32 a P4 needle jet and the 6DH4 needle as from Streetkleavers findings and all is well.

But wanted to change the fuel tap for a more free flowing one , not so easy on the later model Bullets . I may have to take the tooseevee path drill and tap  :o anyway here’s a couple of pics , any tips? , the thread on the fitting from the tap is not 1/4” it’s smaller to the point even the filters won’t go up in it, looking like the tooseevee method might be the only way forward, what do we think ?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #36 on: August 16, 2022, 02:18:18 pm
Tooseevee got it right, hopefully you can get the screw-in (screw-up?) adapter out without damaging the tank, then fit the tap at the bottom of your picture. Don't know if the other two are any use as fishing weights.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

12many

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: December 17, 2022, 01:33:28 pm
Save up your coin, spring for a Pingel.  They have one that’ll screw straight into the tank. One of the best flowing petcocks available and the lever action is butter smooth.

https://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/power-flo-fuel-valves.asp
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:43:11 pm by 12many »

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: December 18, 2022, 06:15:22 am
12many my tank outlet is a male fitting not a female fitting like in your pic , they did the male outlet in the very last years and it is a bit annoying but there is ways around it.

Is that a pic from your ride ??

12many

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 03:48:01 pm
Does not that male stub fitting unscrew from the tank? The female fitting is what's welded on and that stub is screwed in? I cant recall.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: December 18, 2022, 04:41:07 pm
That male stub fitting on the late model tanks is bonded with something very permanent from the factory, no one that we know of has got one to break free and un screw yet.

tooseevee has a well documented thread on these damn fittings from his 08 model, creating him some stress along the way , drill and tap was the final result.