Author Topic: Exhaust pics please!  (Read 3136 times)

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
on: July 22, 2022, 04:16:25 pm
Am going to replace the stock exhaust on my 2014 CGT.  I was wondering what exhaust systems everyone is running out there.  Any thoughts what is best pipe to use with with the Dobek EJK installed as well?  I have an Emgo fishtail pipe but, it is straight and does not have an upsweep to it.  The exhaust brackets I need to fabricate to mount the muffler would not be pleasing to the eye.  Would love to see pics of what others have done especially, if you have the Dobek EJK installed as well.

Thanks!

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 09:11:32 pm
Here is my very specific configuration :

- Hitchcocks Inox tube with a kickup tube (slightly bigger to accommodate generic mufflers) soldered to it and a bung for a Lambda Wideband sensor on it (just behind the rear brake pedal).
- "no name" generic Inox muffler (long model)

The Wideband sensor is connected to a Dynojet Autotune :

8)

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 11:14:11 pm
Fabricated 304 stainless header with port matched section for the first 50mm from the exhaust port. Made with a 15dg bend up at the end so a larger range of straight slip of silencers can be used. The reverse megaphone has a fabricated stainless perforated baffle with fiberglass wool packing. Has a nice deep thump and she cracks!

59 Club UK/Australia

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 05:13:18 pm
This is my AEW "silencer". As supplied it was  V E R Y   L O U D. My attempt at quietening it has not been quite as effective as I'd have liked.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 06:40:33 am
Stainless pipe and muffler (NLA) by Motad, from H's.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 01:59:20 pm
Thank you much everyone for the pics.  You have given me some great ideas.  Not sure which way I will go yet.  Fabricate or just replace or, a combination of both.  I guess it starts with finding the right muffler.  I need to spend some time looking at what H's has to offer and then just do a general search to see what else might be out there.  I think I would like something with a straight through flow but has a (replaceable) fiberglass baffle in it.  My emgo fishtail is just a straight pipe.  I am afraid it would be a bit too loud.  Of course, I could just put it on the bike and start it up just to see.  Heading out to Michigan on my Indian tomorrow or Tuesday (depending on weather forecast) so, this project will have to wait until I get back.  Thanks again, and as I figure it out, I will let you know what direction I am heading

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 08:13:44 pm
This is my AEW "silencer". As supplied it was  V E R Y   L O U D. My attempt at quietening it has not been quite as effective as I'd have liked.

It was my first configuration. I sold it because it was way too loud !

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 02:00:47 am
It was my first configuration. I sold it because it was way too loud!

I understand. I want something that has a little throat to it but not scary loud.  I am afraid my fishtail would be a bit obnoxious with the straight pipe design.  Was speaking to a biker friend today and he may have a muffler that will work for me.  Going to check it out after I get back from my trip.

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 10:15:54 pm
Finally getting back to my GT.  My trip to Michigan on the Indian was highly successful but have been so busy with other projects, I have not had a chance to play with the CGT!  I just ordered a hi flow pipe from H's.  Alos got a hi flow air filter coming (from another source.  I looked on Dobeck's website but only found the gen 3 EJK for a 500 bullet. I am sure it is the same unit but may need the base line map programmed for the CGT.  I am calling them tomorrow to hopefully, get it on order.  With a little bit of luck, I may get this together before the snow falls here in New England.  Can' wait to try this out.  I haven't even had a chance to ride the CGT since I got back from Michigan.  I am going through withdrawals.  lol

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 01:19:39 am
Hitchcocks in England offers an English made stainless steel pipe and free flow exhaust.  Fits like a glove and takes the stock “puff puff puff” and turns it in to a “bang bang bang”!  I would suggest that even though it probably doesnt make as big of a difference on a small single as it would with a big V8, but with my mechanical background, Id do it anyways.  When adding a free flow exhaust pipe and muffler, you need to also install a free flow air cleaner such as a K&N filter.  An engine is nothing more then a hi-tech air compressor.  The more air you add to the engine (K&N filter) the more air you going to need to exhaust from the engine (free flow exhaust).  Here is the thing… Now that you have added the filter and exhaust and have a better breathing engine, you now need to add more fuel to it.  The more air you can get in to the engine and back out of it means that you need more fuel to compensate for the higher volume of air the engine is now getting.  Other wise if you dont add more fuel, you could cause the engine to run lean.  A lean engine runs hotter and can burn up the pistons.  A stock GT 535 already comes in to the US quite lean so that it can pass the EPA regulations. 

To make your 535 run at top performance and be happy,  I would also install a Dinojet Power Commander 5 witch will allow you to add more fuel to the stock EFI fuel map.  I in my strong opinion wouldnt add a free flow exhaust with out also adding a K&N filter as well as having a way to add a bit more fuel across the RPM range.  Like I said, It probably doesnt make a huge difference with a small single compared to a large V8, but in my professional opinion, I wouldnt do one with out doing all 3.  The 535 will start, idle and run better with a Power Commander 5 installed anyways.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 03:02:19 am
Hitchcocks in England offers an English made stainless steel pipe and free flow exhaust.  Fits like a glove and takes the stock “puff puff puff” and turns it in to a “bang bang bang”!  I would suggest that even though it probably doesnt make as big of a difference on a small single as it would with a big V8, but with my mechanical background, Id do it anyways.  When adding a free flow exhaust pipe and muffler, you need to also install a free flow air cleaner such as a K&N filter.  An engine is nothing more then a hi-tech air compressor.  The more air you add to the engine (K&N filter) the more air you going to need to exhaust from the engine (free flow exhaust).  Here is the thing… Now that you have added the filter and exhaust and have a better breathing engine, you now need to add more fuel to it.  The more air you can get in to the engine and back out of it means that you need more fuel to compensate for the higher volume of air the engine is now getting.  Other wise if you dont add more fuel, you could cause the engine to run lean.  A lean engine runs hotter and can burn up the pistons.  A stock GT 535 already comes in to the US quite lean so that it can pass the EPA regulations. 

To make your 535 run at top performance and be happy,  I would also install a Dinojet Power Commander 5 witch will allow you to add more fuel to the stock EFI fuel map.  I in my strong opinion wouldnt add a free flow exhaust with out also adding a K&N filter as well as having a way to add a bit more fuel across the RPM range.  Like I said, It probably doesnt make a huge difference with a small single compared to a large V8, but in my professional opinion, I wouldnt do one with out doing all 3.  The 535 will start, idle and run better with a Power Commander 5 installed anyways.

You are quite right sir!  I have ordered the free flow exhaust and also have a high flow air cleaner on order.  I am going with the Dobeck EJK for the fuel trim.  I need to call Dobeck in the morning to order it.  They only seem to have one for the 500cc Bullet on-line.  I would think the 535 would require a different base program.  The only thing I haven't ordered is the header pipe.  I may or may not order that.  We will see what these parts do and then I will go from there.  I have a guy near me that is very savvy in tuning bikes on a dyno.  I may have him take a look at this as well.  Can't wait for the parts to show up!

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 05:21:26 pm
Tried a reverse cone, didn't like the repacking. Slid a RE "sport" can on and though a bit big, sounded just right.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 07:55:14 pm
Here is my very specific configuration :

- Hitchcocks Inox tube with a kickup tube (slightly bigger to accommodate generic mufflers) soldered to it and a bung for a Lambda Wideband sensor on it (just behind the rear brake pedal).
- "no name" generic Inox muffler (long model)

The Wideband sensor is connected to a Dynojet Autotune :

8)

I love the 41mm to 44mm transition.  :)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 12:01:13 am
Tried a reverse cone, didn't like the repacking. Slid a RE "sport" can on and though a bit big, sounded just right.

I did receive the muffler from H's and installed it on the bike.  Fired the lady up and was quite pleased with the sound.  Just received the hi-flow air cleaner and Dobeck EJK.  I will take the bike for a short spin first with just the muffler, then. install the EJK. and see what happens.  WildBill put out a thread that was pretty interesting on experiments he did with a couple 500 bullets.  The "sport" can you installed looks very similar to the stock can.  Did you find the reverse cone needed repacking often?

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 12:06:38 am
I love the 41mm to 44mm transition.  :)

A.

Thanks Adrian,

I remember that response from Taurim.  That is a pretty nice setup.  Hopefully, I am not wasting my hard earned $ on the "slip on" can and EJK set up.  Will give it a go and see what happens.  As they say.... What could possibly go wrong?     ::)