Author Topic: reason for swapping out pipes  (Read 8223 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: July 25, 2022, 02:49:56 am
...Honey, I'm home... 8)

She was Swedish like the modern Greta. Her characters often displayed the "strong independent modern 1930's woman" archetype (much like Jean Harlow and Bette Davis) and she was like that in real life as well.

Greta Garbo quit movie making in 1941 at the height of her success because she could no longer tolerate the Hollywood system and all it's machinations. She was only 36 but refused to ever make another movie.

For me the real Garbo classic was the 1935 version of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:56:22 am by GlennF »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 12:53:59 pm
She was Swedish like the modern Greta. Her characters often displayed the "strong independent modern 1930's woman" archetype (much like Jean Harlow and Bette Davis) and she was like that in real life as well.

Greta Garbo quit movie making in 1941 at the height of her success because she could no longer tolerate the Hollywood system and all it's machinations. She was only 36 but refused to ever make another movie.

For me the real Garbo classic was the 1935 version of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 03:55:19 pm
I personally don't much care for thread drift.

That's why I'm going to try to bring it back on track.

Why did Greta change her pipes?   She felt like it!  And she smoked ciggys too!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/famous-pipe-smokers-greta-garbo

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #78 on: July 25, 2022, 05:36:37 pm
https://youtu.be/yk_5cJ180xc

...indeed we've come a long way.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #79 on: July 25, 2022, 06:39:33 pm

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/famous-pipe-smokers-greta-garbo
It would have been nice to clean her pipes..... ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: July 26, 2022, 01:18:30 am

Definitely my sort of gal ...

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: July 26, 2022, 01:43:52 am
Apparently it pays to increase your word power...so at least we're all on the same page as regards what we're talking about or around.

Bowdlerisation: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowdlerize

Woke: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Most of this "debate" devolves to the concept of fairness or equitability. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good general guideline, regardless of the original source... ::) The operating assumption behind it is that the need is genuine, the ability is not exploited.

Thanks AzCal, Bowdlerise is a sonic beauty, and my, hasn't woke come a long way! 🤪😵

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: July 26, 2022, 03:54:26 am

Most of this "debate" devolves to the concept of fairness or equitability. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good general guideline, regardless of the original source... ::)

The source is somewhat debatable as some people claim that Marx was actually plagiarising Acts 4-35 .

KJV Acts 4:35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Not quite seeing how any of this relates to Greta Garbo though.   :D

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:58:14 am by GlennF »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: August 06, 2022, 12:51:37 am
Did Greta ever own a goat? 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 12:53:49 am by GlennF »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #84 on: August 06, 2022, 02:43:42 pm
A holiday park I once worked in owned a goat called Greta. Are we far enough adrift from the original topic yet?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: August 08, 2022, 12:30:14 am
A holiday park I once worked in owned a goat called Greta. Are we far enough adrift from the original topic yet?

A.

There is also a goat called Greta in the popular children's book "Zoe's Rescue Zoo: The Helpful Hedgehog" .

McElsen

• Scooter
  • LOVE my RE Meteor!
Reply #86 on: August 17, 2022, 09:30:54 am
Well, on that subject:
I have a Meteor and have been looking at slip-ons to get a slightly better sound, like the new Classic has. The meteor has a strange contraption in it's exhaust system that is hidden underneath the bike, like a little pot. Now some claim that is the cat. Others claim it is just there to enhance the sound. However, prior for the gasses going into this little 'pot' there is a little bulge in the horizontal pipe. Some people claim that is the cat. Reason for asking: if I were to bypass the pot with a straight pipe section, would that indeed mean I have no cat anymore?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: August 17, 2022, 01:52:59 pm
I believe that both groups might be right. It is my understanding that the latest version of the old-school (not the Meteors) Indian market air-cooled RE 350 BS6 models have two cats, one in the exhaust header and one in the muffler.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1