Author Topic: reason for swapping out pipes  (Read 8286 times)

Michael Johnston

• Neophyte
on: July 18, 2022, 07:10:13 pm
Hello,
I'm curious as to the reason for changing exhaust pipes on the INT.  I hear sound is a main reason,  weight another.  How about performance? Is there a benefit in performance in changing pipes?

Thank you
Michael
Wabasha Minnesota

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 08:32:38 pm
Any bolt on stuff on these bikes is only going to give you the most modest of performance bumps, if any at all.

The weight savings is substantial, though, and the exhaust note sounds so much better with a free flowing set of pipes.

I'm sure the resident Exhaust Originalists will be along to contradict me shortly, however. 🤣🤣🤣

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 11:43:39 pm
For me it was size...slimmer looks nicer!

Sounds slightly better, can't tell that the weight is less, no performance change whatsoever.

Money probably better spent somewhere else!

Cookie

Hello,
I'm curious as to the reason for changing exhaust pipes on the INT.  I hear sound is a main reason,  weight another.  How about performance? Is there a benefit in performance in changing pipes?

Thank you
Michael
Wabasha Minnesota

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 03:42:27 am
If you're planning on improving performance, exhaust and filter is where most people start. Cams, HC pistons, piggyback ECUs, big bores, etc don't make much sense without free flowing exhaust*

I dunno how much is psychological, but the 15kg weight reduction and slim back end that after market 2-1 provides delights me every look and ride 🤗 ... There's a power to weight ratio that's empirical (-xkg = +yhp) though when the difference becomes noticeable depends on one's sensitivity I guess; or at the race track or drag strip. 

* Will test this theory soon with some roll-ons with a fellow twin owner: both bikes have S&S cam, but his has OEM headers and tuning.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 03:49:22 am
Looks and sound.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 05:34:02 am
mostly weight loss. i switched to a pair of scorpion cans which are about 60% less than the stock ones. they're also physically smaller so they just look better too.

thought about 2-1 but dont want that TEC crap on my bike. and i think it just looks ugly as hell.

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 07:20:38 am
Will be buying Verex slip-ons within the month. mainly for the exhaust note it produces, weight saving...meh, still gonna be a heavy bike regardless.

dwhitehorne

• Scooter
  • 2022 Interceptor
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 12:04:56 pm
I just put on PowerRage short exhaust.  I did it mostly to reduce the size and weight from the original.  My daughter melted part of her shoe sole on the hot original exhaust.  I can touch the PowerRage exhaust while it is running.  I don't feel anything different power wise but we all know louder is faster  ;D   If I keep it under 3500 RPMs its not that much louder than the original exhaust.   David

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 12:18:09 pm
Hello,

Thank you
Michael
Wabasha Minnesota

ANY attempt to make these new highly restricted, government-controlled engines, run any better than they do from the factory must begin with improvements to the intake & exhaust systems (and now, of course, all kinds of electronic problems I don't even preTEND to know well added to the mix).

And none of this is anything new; it was well underway in earnest in the '70s with yards of air hoses, various kinds of "air pumps", gulp valves, two-barrel carbs that were forced to run on one barrel by government mandates, ridiculous timing, forced detuning of engines that was ridiculous.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 12:38:13 pm
Will be buying Verex slip-ons within the month. mainly for the exhaust note it produces, weight saving...meh, still gonna be a heavy bike regardless.

Yep agreed. Still heavy feeling. I really don’t think you can strip much from this bike and actually get a noticeable change in weight. Bike seems top heavy or something.

JIMIBLAZE

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 05:49:10 pm
I've managed to strip quite a bit of weight off the stock bike (incl the end cans and headers) and definitely feel the difference when riding a standard one back to back with mine!

hehehemann

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 06:28:16 pm
It was for sound for me. Went cheap with slip ons, bought the universal muffler stainless steel ones on Amazon for $100 a set of two. They are great! Bike looks better with slimmer pipes, they are so much lighter and sound really good, its become addictive to keep revving the bike, the sound of these bikes unrestricted is gorgeous.
Previous: Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650s, Suzuki C50, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Triumph Sprint RS, Triumph Scrambler, Harley Davidson FXDC

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 08:13:00 pm
For me, the changes I made to the bike were to make it more powerful and efficient. The exhaust cans were a no brainer, far less weight and a bit better breathing. I put on the S&S cans with the db killers in so they are not so annoyingly loud. I prefer them because they are a factory option and are muted enough not to get me pulled over in NY State and certain municipalities here in NJ where they have strict noise laws.

Just as an FYI, I did try less expensive cans, and they made the bike run worse than the stock cans with the db killers, and significantly worse without the db killers. But they made a lot more noise which gave me a headache on long rides. The S&S seemed to work better.

I already had the Booster Plug and the DNA filter installed with the snorkel deleted to open up the intake. The full combo made only a very slight difference in performance, but did make throttle response more crisp.

Then there's more to do if you want a bit more power. You can get open head pipes to increase exhaust flow, and also save a ton of weight. Hitchcocks makes a nice pair. At this point, you'll need either a PowerTronic or Power Commander to deal with the higher air flow through the engine.

And why stop there. Hitchcocks also make a very nice cam that will beef up midrange torque and high end HP.

But wait, there's more! At this point a nice set of high compression 650 pistons will certainly make everything better. And I'm here to tell you that yes, they can and do make a very noticeable difference. Even without dyno tuning and just a canned map in the PC had it making 57 hp instead of the 40-42 it makes stock at the rear wheel. The character of the bike is still intact, with even more low to midrange grunt, and much higher HP numbers, and still returning 60+ mpg even while riding with great enthusiasm. It doesn't make more heat, that I can feel, over the stock motor, and not so much power as to be overwhelm the brakes, frame and running gear.

It's all a slippery slope. Exhaust cans are the entry drug. But tons of fun along the way, and the bike lost about 30+ pounds. Now if only I could do the same on my body.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 08:36:07 pm
I fitted the TEC Stinger.
For me it was the combination of power gain and a lot of weight loss both of which are  very noticable, the sound improvement (with baffles) was a welcome bonus but not a reason for purchase.
Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I think it looks good, but again, not a reason for purchase.
Another bonus gain is the reduction in width of the bike, allowing me to more easily get the bike in an out of a very crowded garage
Another rider of a stock RE had a go, he commented on the weight difference as soon as he took it of the side stand and loved the way it goes, much better than his bike.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 08:51:11 pm
Place soapbox on floor.
Step up on soap box.

Besides the extra sound(irritatingly loud,IMO) you are also producing more pollution with the after market pipes.
The weight you are saving comes from removing the cats.

Step down.
Put away soap box.

2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 08:55:25 pm
Place soapbox on floor.
Step up on soap box.

Besides the extra sound(irritatingly loud,IMO) you are also producing more pollution with the after market pipes.

Step down.
Put away soap box.

Indeed, you are correct.

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 09:19:33 pm
Place soapbox on floor.
Step up on soap box.

Step down.
Put away soap box.
Haven’t seen a line trimmer or lawnmower with cats, but they obviously don’t pump benzine etc into our pristine atmosphere.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 09:47:59 pm
Haven’t seen a line trimmer or lawnmower with cats, but they obviously don’t pump benzine etc into our pristine atmosphere.
You’re right! Since there are still some engines that pollute, we should just give up and let every engine pollute, what the hell was I thinking?
 Plus, you want to make sure your bike is loud enough to properly advertise the size of your willie…
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:50:08 pm by JessHerbst »

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 10:11:43 pm
For me, the changes I made to the bike were to make it more powerful and efficient. The exhaust cans were a no brainer, far less weight and a bit better breathing. I put on the S&S cans with the db killers in so they are not so annoyingly loud. I prefer them because they are a factory option and are muted enough not to get me pulled over in NY State and certain municipalities here in NJ where they have strict noise laws.

Just as an FYI, I did try less expensive cans, and they made the bike run worse than the stock cans with the db killers, and significantly worse without the db killers. But they made a lot more noise which gave me a headache on long rides. The S&S seemed to work better.

I already had the Booster Plug and the DNA filter installed with the snorkel deleted to open up the intake. The full combo made only a very slight difference in performance, but did make throttle response more crisp.

Then there's more to do if you want a bit more power. You can get open head pipes to increase exhaust flow, and also save a ton of weight. Hitchcocks makes a nice pair. At this point, you'll need either a PowerTronic or Power Commander to deal with the higher air flow through the engine.

And why stop there. Hitchcocks also make a very nice cam that will beef up midrange torque and high end HP.

But wait, there's more! At this point a nice set of high compression 650 pistons will certainly make everything better. And I'm here to tell you that yes, they can and do make a very noticeable difference. Even without dyno tuning and just a canned map in the PC had it making 57 hp instead of the 40-42 it makes stock at the rear wheel. The character of the bike is still intact, with even more low to midrange grunt, and much higher HP numbers, and still returning 60+ mpg even while riding with great enthusiasm. It doesn't make more heat, that I can feel, over the stock motor, and not so much power as to be overwhelm the brakes, frame and running gear.

It's all a slippery slope. Exhaust cans are the entry drug. But tons of fun along the way, and the bike lost about 30+ pounds. Now if only I could do the same on my body.

Have you cured the pre-ignition under load?

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 10:48:17 pm
electric motorcycle for you?

Cookie

Place soapbox on floor.
Step up on soap box.

Step down.
Put away soap box.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2022, 12:01:42 am
Should be letting the wildflower meadows grow. Only sayin'!

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 02:26:06 am
Have you cured the pre-ignition under load?

The bike is currently awaiting a remap of the stock ECU with Steve my tuner, who says he can do more with less. I've told him about the issue, and he's quite sure that it won't be a problem. I switched to colder plugs, NGK 9 iridiums, as opposed to the 8's I was running, and it ran great, and pinged less.

Methinks, as does Steve, that a bit more fuel at WOT, maybe a 2-3 degrees retarded with the ignition timing, and the pings will be a thing of the past. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

The bike runs like gangbusters otherwise.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2022, 02:39:13 am
Place soapbox on floor.
Step up on soap box.

Step down.
Put away soap box.

Soapbox or not, Jess, you know this is a partial truth at best; no reason for spreading misinformation.
https://www.sscycle.com/products/qualifier-2-1-50-state-exhaust-system-stainless-steel-with-black-endcap-for-2019-21-royal-enfield-650-models/

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 20, 2022, 02:50:26 am
You’re right! Since there are still some engines that pollute, we should just give up and let every engine pollute, what the hell was I thinking?
 Plus, you want to make sure your bike is loud enough to properly advertise the size of your willie

🔥 Ooh! but y'know when a girl goes after a bloke's wizzle, some may think she's harbouring a certain kind of envy 🙄; as with mental health, better to put down that pen(is) and walk away 😜

ps here in Oz an inverse relation is advertised
https://www.roadsafetyfacility.org/publications/advertising-campaign-pinkie
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:59:04 am by Intybe »

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 20, 2022, 03:01:30 am
The bike is currently awaiting a remap of the stock ECU with Steve my tuner, who says he can do more with less. I've told him about the issue, and he's quite sure that it won't be a problem. I switched to colder plugs, NGK 9 iridiums, as opposed to the 8's I was running, and it ran great, and pinged less.

Methinks, as does Steve, that a bit more fuel at WOT, maybe a 2-3 degrees retarded with the ignition timing, and the pings will be a thing of the past. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

The bike runs like gangbusters otherwise.

Didn't I read here somewhere that you should fit 7s?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 03:07:19 am by Intybe »

Michael Johnston

• Neophyte
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2022, 03:07:44 am
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm not on a quest for power other than to have the bike run optimal, the best it can given what it is, and I prefer a quiet ride actually. 
My wife rides a Honda VTX 1800 with a sidecar carrying three dogs and I have to try to keep up with her. 

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2022, 03:13:41 am
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm not on a quest for power other than to have the bike run optimal, the best it can given what it is, and I prefer a quiet ride actually. 
My wife rides a Honda VTX 1800 with a sidecar carrying three dogs and I have to try to keep up with her.

wait what. 3 dogs in a sidecar? need pics!

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2022, 03:35:06 am
Soapbox or not, Jess, you know this is a partial truth at best; no reason for spreading misinformation.
https://www.sscycle.com/products/qualifier-2-1-50-state-exhaust-system-stainless-steel-with-black-endcap-for-2019-21-royal-enfield-650-models/
If you believe those pipes have a catalytic converter in them I have a bridge I can make you a hell of a deal on.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 20, 2022, 04:23:30 am
If you believe those pipes have a catalytic converter in them I have a bridge I can make you a hell of a deal on.
Actually, it looks like they've got two. Are you saying they're lying?!😱
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 04:46:47 am by Intybe »

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 20, 2022, 05:03:48 am
Actually, it looks like they've got two. Are you saying they're lying?!😱
No, they indeed have two cats in the header, same as the stock headers. But they have no cats in the silencers, which is where the weight loss comes from.
 So you are going from a 4 cat system to a 2 cat system, same as leaving stock headers and replacing the slip on silencers.
 I’m no cat expert, but I believe 4 cats produce less pollution then two.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: July 20, 2022, 05:08:43 am
 Plus, you want to make sure your bike is loud enough to properly advertise the size of your willie…

Seeing as how it’s only first world countries that apparently pollute, I’d better jump right on the tons of emissions that my GT is spewing into the atmosphere. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Oh, and by the way- it’s my willie and I’ll brandish and advertise it as I wish, as I am indeed able to do, courtesy of evolution. I don’t need any pronouns to wave around.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 20, 2022, 05:20:11 am
No, they indeed have two cats in the header, same as the stock headers. But they have no cats in the silencers, which is where the weight loss comes from.
 So you are going from a 4 cat system to a 2 cat system, same as leaving stock headers and replacing the slip on silencers.

hope this helps!

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 20, 2022, 05:22:30 am

Hi Jess, the main point is that S&S state the pipes weigh 29 pounds less than OEM and are noise and cat compliant... Are some pipes more cat compliant?🤔

I'm no pipe expert either, but my sense is the weight savings are in the materials and construction of the headers and cans, not the cat part which is just some  fuzzy wuzzy light weight ethereal chemicals reacting to heat - kinda like me 🤗 For example, the OEM headers are double walled iron age steel, so there's twice thrice the weight of aftermarkets alone saved.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 05:26:21 am by Intybe »

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: July 20, 2022, 07:17:09 am
You’re right! Since there are still some engines that pollute, …
Like these events that probably happen every weekend in multiple locations across the world, iam not to worried about pollution emitting from my 650.
https://youtu.be/ZNb-x5VHciQ

RecoilRob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: July 20, 2022, 07:39:37 am

NGK heat numbers go colder as they increase...9's are colder than 8's ect.   Other brands do the opposite with the colder plugs having lower numbers.   Stock heat range for the RE650 is a '7' NGK but any performance application should probably go with the colder plugs and not go warmer unless fouling problems are encountered.

Regarding performance:  Replacement cans normally do bump up the midrange torque a bit and work fine with stock tuning.   Replacement Big Bore headers didn't do anything more for my bike until I tuned it with the PT....this with stock cam.  With cam and pipes they for sure need alternate tuning to make best use of the increased exhaust flow.     
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:43:03 am by RecoilRob »

JIMIBLAZE

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: July 20, 2022, 06:25:19 pm

No, definitely not true.. only partly

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 20, 2022, 06:49:11 pm

For a bone stock bike, yes. For a bike with more open breathing, one stop colder is probably a good idea. For a cam and high compression pistons, even colder.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 21, 2022, 03:59:49 am
Hey Rob and Mike, my apologies, I really should've added a wink to indicate an ironic reference to the recent multipage thread on sparkplugs, from which I suspect a few members are still recovering 🤦‍♂️ Still, it's good you've posted summary positions for those that missed the fun 😅 Fixed now 🙏 
Didn't I read here somewhere that you should fit 7s? 😉
NGK heat numbers go colder as they increase...9's are colder than 8's ect.   Other brands do the opposite with the colder plugs having lower numbers.   Stock heat range for the RE650 is a '7' NGK but any performance application should probably go with the colder plugs and not go warmer unless fouling problems are encountered.
For a bone stock bike, yes. For a bike with more open breathing, one stop colder is probably a good idea. For a cam and high compression pistons, even colder.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:49:19 am by Intybe »

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 21, 2022, 04:39:47 am
Like these events that probably happen every weekend in multiple locations across the world, iam not to worried about pollution emitting from my 650.
Smokin!... I'm sure it's an exciting day out for some 🤔
Mildly more entertaining (I mean there's movement and dirt being spun up!) Ultimate Challenge's Truck Pull Day confirmed these guys are doing the heavy lifting when it comes to polluting for fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGx7vXdDyWk
Like Dav says, sleep easy... if you dare 🙃
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:48:17 am by Intybe »

RecoilRob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: July 21, 2022, 05:30:12 am
Hey Rob and Mike, my apologies, I really should've added a wink to indicate an ironic reference to the recent multipage thread on sparkplugs, from which I suspect a few members are still recovering 🤦‍♂️ Still, it's good you've posted summary positions for those that missed the fun 😅 Fixed now 🙏

One of the weaknesses of communicating via text is you lose the ability to do subtle sarcasm that would be obvious in person with just a smile or raised eyebrow to give it away.   I was pretty sure you're on the same page with the plugs..but wanted to be sure. :)

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 21, 2022, 08:05:54 am
One of the weaknesses of communicating via text is you lose the ability to do subtle sarcasm that would be obvious in person with just a smile or raised eyebrow to give it away.   I was pretty sure you're on the same page with the plugs..but wanted to be sure. :)
Yep, 8s installed, running sweet as 👍🙏

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: July 21, 2022, 10:17:25 am

Not to mention the horrendous emissions from every rocket launch that everybody in the world appears to applaud. The figures are staggering in their sheer defiance of emission reduction. But for f***’s sake, don’t modify your exhaust. The incongruity of peoples’ stance on these issues is laughable. Like measuring emissions per capita. So a huge country with small population like Australia cops it up the Khyber, while China gets a pass, whilst emmiting 100,000 times the volume. What a snow job.

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #42 on: July 21, 2022, 10:47:26 am
What about aeroplanes, they don't have clean exhausts
Previously "Haggisman"

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #43 on: July 21, 2022, 03:50:35 pm
What about aeroplanes, they don't have clean exhausts
That bothers me, too. People who make a big song and dance about their solar panels and hybrid cars and think nothing of jetting off to Europe on a whim and for no reason other than pleasure. Puhleeez.

I love the way my vintage Victa 2 stroke mower screams and fills my yard (and the neighbour's) with sweet sweet 2 stroke smoke on a calm summer evening. Smoking is cool, kids.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: July 21, 2022, 04:40:20 pm
a lot of bizarre whataboutism argumentation here. i thought i was one of the younger ones on this board but a lot of you argue like children with no sense of logic.

OBVIOUSLY motorcycles are part of a very small pie of a larger shit pie. that doesn't discount that removing CATs adds to pollution.

thats like saying you can't fight for climate change if you happen to take a bus that uses gas or you cant be vegan if you're photographer cause theres gelatin in film. we all have to participate in this construct that currently exists. disregarding a valid point by using some stupid WHAT ABOUT THIS THOUGH argument is dumb and adds absolutely no value.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:44:12 pm by iblastoff »

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: July 21, 2022, 05:14:54 pm
I pretty much agree with what you say, however the argument ref decatting a bike and the extra pollution it may create is nothing compared to the fact that we pleasure riders are burning fossil fuels for fun. How is that different to jumping on a plane to go somewhere. Surely not riding a bike at all is much is better for the atmosphere.
I am not defending or accusing anyone, I am as guilty as the rest of us.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: July 21, 2022, 05:32:39 pm
a lot of bizarre whataboutism argumentation here. i thought i was one of the younger ones on this board but a lot of you argue like children with no sense of logic.

OBVIOUSLY motorcycles are part of a very small pie of a larger shit pie. that doesn't discount that removing CATs adds to pollution.

thats like saying you can't fight for climate change if you happen to take a bus that uses gas or you cant be vegan if you're photographer cause theres gelatin in film. we all have to participate in this construct that currently exists. disregarding a valid point by using some stupid WHAT ABOUT THIS THOUGH argument is dumb and adds absolutely no value.
+1

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: July 21, 2022, 05:52:58 pm
Lots of conversation in here, which is wonderful.

I'm not going to beat around the bush though, I swapped my slip-ons out because I like the sound it makes. There, I said it. 29 years old, and still a child at heart  ::)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: July 21, 2022, 09:25:06 pm

Apart from demonstrating the relative hypocrisy?

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #49 on: July 21, 2022, 11:48:27 pm

Bravo. Well said, man.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #50 on: July 22, 2022, 01:08:42 am

It's not about whataboutism. It's about who the fcuk are you to begrudge a person a small amount of enjoyment from their personal property while you drive your big block powered motorhome with the air con blaring out the open window down to the local Walmart to slurp down a bale of freedom fries and a 2 pound grain fed Royale with "cheese", just because it doesn't align with whatever pop psychology term you lazily cherry picked from your latest feminist podcast. Like Steve said, the "whatism" is just a smokescreen to cover up what is IRL, just hipocrisy.

I hope I have added value.

Rant off.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: July 22, 2022, 01:37:08 am
It's not about whataboutism. It's about who the fcuk are you to begrudge a person a small amount of enjoyment from their personal property while you drive your big block powered motorhome with the air con blaring out the open window down to the local Walmart to slurp down a bale of freedom fries and a 2 pound grain fed Royale with "cheese", just because it doesn't align with whatever pop psychology term you lazily cherry picked from your latest feminist podcast. Like Steve said, the "whatism" is just a smokescreen to cover up what is IRL, just hipocrisy.

Rant off.
Greta would be mortified 😁

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: July 22, 2022, 04:26:05 am

Rant off.

So the xmas party's off guys, unless someone else is willing to organise the seating plan 🤯🥴🤪😬

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: July 22, 2022, 05:01:13 am

Rant off.
Here’s a pic of my 5.7 litre V8 Thundberg!
Note vegetarian dog in foreground , frolicking on eco- friendly hand- cut carbon sink lawn.😁
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:26:57 am by Starpeve »

Pitch

• Scooter
Reply #54 on: July 22, 2022, 05:21:45 am
So the xmas party's off guys, unless someone else is willing to organise the seating plan 🤯🥴🤪😬

Haha, surely Bilgemaster's warning lights are flashing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:24:43 am by Pitch »

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: July 22, 2022, 06:15:50 am
Haha, surely Bilgemaster's warning lights are flashing.
Nah, not until someone mentions hitler 🤭
But he'll be super bummed coz he loves a feast!
🍗🥩🍠🍤🥧🍰🍨🥂🍺🥳... 😢
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 06:23:48 am by Intybe »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #56 on: July 22, 2022, 07:19:22 am
I want cake too... 😭

Goes and sits in the naughty corner.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #57 on: July 22, 2022, 07:55:27 am

Rant off.

sic 'em @gizzo   :D
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #58 on: July 22, 2022, 12:51:12 pm
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: July 22, 2022, 01:44:43 pm

Rant off.
H
Darling Gizzo, maybe a little exposure to a couple of feminist podcasts could do you some good, go ahead and try it, it won’t hurt, I promise!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: July 22, 2022, 02:17:34 pm
H
Darling Gizzo, maybe a little exposure to a couple of feminist podcasts could do you some good, go ahead and try it, it won’t hurt, I promise!

Sorry Jess, the whole feminist movement has been hijacked by woke fuckwits. Most women apparently hate the movement now.
I’m all for equality, in it’s manifold complicated essence. But reality and fairness has been eschewed for a blanket “ anything you can do I can do “ ethos.
Which is nonsense, as any clear minded individual must surely comprehend.
Balance is what’s in short shrift, and unfortunately all feminists are lumped in together with the idiots.
I love women, in music , literature, art etc. and I respect most women immensely. Just can’t abide arseholes. Male or female.
And the Bowdlerisation of terminology and nomenclature is offensively illogical and counterproductive. Honey vs vinegar.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #61 on: July 22, 2022, 03:35:40 pm
H
Nar, I'm good thanks. I have to wash my hair.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: July 22, 2022, 03:44:56 pm

Sorry Jess, the whole feminist movement has been hijacked by woke fuckwits. Most women apparently hate the movement now.
I’m all for equality, in it’s manifold complicated essence. But reality and fairness has been eschewed for a blanket “ anything you can do I can do “ ethos.
Which is nonsense, as any clear minded individual must surely comprehend.
Balance is what’s in short shrift, and unfortunately all feminists are lumped in together with the idiots.
I love women, in music , literature, art etc. and I respect most women immensely. Just can’t abide arseholes. Male or female.
And the Bowdlerisation of terminology and nomenclature is offensively illogical and counterproductive. Honey vs vinegar.
I can assure you that ‘most women’  by no means hate feminism. That is a white male superiority phantasy.
You say you respect women, yet you clearly indicate that you believe yourself superior.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 03:47:25 pm by JessHerbst »

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #63 on: July 22, 2022, 07:15:35 pm
This has gone a long way off course, and it's going to be more suited to the "Campfire talk" section instead of trying to tidy the thread up.

Feel free to restart the thread in the 650 section, but lets try and keep that it on topic ;)

JIMIBLAZE

• Scooter
Reply #64 on: July 23, 2022, 01:36:32 pm
I can assure you that ‘most women’  by no means hate feminism. That is a white male superiority phantasy.
You say you respect women, yet you clearly indicate that you believe yourself superior.

Jesus... this is a bike forum... keep your woke feminist agenda to yourself!

How is this person indicating their superiority over women exactly??

Just a bunch of antagonistic, constant holier than thou, patronizing BS from certain forum members here.

LOVE women.... hate these B's!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: July 23, 2022, 11:29:09 pm
That feminist remark came directly from stuff I’ve been reading FROM females who feel let down by the movement. And your superiority comment indicates your mindset. I’m not superior, I’m a comfortable male. Superior at some things, inferior at others. Competent at most.
Take from that what you will.

motoboy

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: July 24, 2022, 12:33:51 am
My reasons making me want to swap:

- functionality -- get them out of the way to: A) aid lane-splitting in dense CA traffic, and B) avoid passenger boots hitting & marking up exhaust (super close/very little wiggle room for passenger's feet)
- sound -- also somewhat functional -- cars don't hear stock exhaust, and also as a driver I appreciate a louder bike to know when to give room for lane-splitting (CA law)

My reasons for not wanting to swap:

- VOIDS warranty -- at least according to Triumph San Diego (my local dealer) -- "These SS mufflers were developed & designed together with Royal Enfield. Any other aftermarket muffler will void Royal Enfield's motorcycle warranty." I imagine for engine alone, but either way that is big downside. There are so many beautiful pipes on eBay but I imagine they don't sell that much because of this reason, but I do plan to change mine out after awhile, i.e. after I see this bike prove itself some.

For those whom have changed their exhaust to non-S&S pipes, did you wait until the 3 years expired (just recently for first models/2019) or did you just do it anyway since it seems almost anything can void your warranty?
Current:
2022 Royal Enfield INT650

History:
2010 Harley XL883N Iron
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2015 Honda VT750CB Shadow Phantom

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: July 24, 2022, 05:39:00 am
🪵🔥 On the positive side, a camp-fire is some consolation for Xmas dinner being cancelled... Marshmallows, anyone?

sound
Ps welcome motoboy, you might want to read the thread: loud pipes save lives on the 650 page. I was hoping things would settle down here, so that Starpeve could be vulnerable and lament the impact high fuel prices are having on his circle work and where jess might feel safe to share a few of her favourite feminist podcasts, etc; it's like you've walked into camp with a grenade and asked what's this?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:59:30 am by Intybe »

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: July 24, 2022, 05:57:27 am
🪵🔥 On the positive side, a camp-fire is some consolation for Xmas dinner being cancelled... Marshmallows, anyone?
Yeah, piss weak to me. What’s next, being shunted elsewhere because you advocate British Imperial Standards over Metric? Censorship agravates  me on every level. If the posters are happy to continue the direction , so WTF? Several contributors seemed to like to chime in.
And it wasn’t hostile or nasty. Yawn.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: July 24, 2022, 08:27:20 am
As a resident of the campfire channel I object to all this ridiculous nonsense being moved into our area.

We have particular topics we like to discuss like Greta and the evil's of California and Sweden.

Please move this rubbish  back where it came from.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: July 24, 2022, 12:29:28 pm
As a resident of the campfire channel I object to all this ridiculous nonsense being moved into our area.

We have particular topics we like to discuss like Greta and the evil's of California and Sweden.

So this is how a refugee feels! 😔

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=894v6kNSYu8

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: July 24, 2022, 11:30:16 pm

Actually, Greta was obliquely mentioned in this thread so I guess it qualifies?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #72 on: July 25, 2022, 12:11:34 am
Apparently it pays to increase your word power...so at least we're all on the same page as regards what we're talking about or around.

Bowdlerisation: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowdlerize

Implicit Bias: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/implicit%20bias

Feminism: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism

Woke: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Fairness: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fairness

Equitable: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equitable

Most of this "debate" devolves to the concept of fairness or equitability. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good general guideline, regardless of the original source... ::) The operating assumption behind it is that the need is genuine, the ability is not exploited.

To Motoboy's actual on topic post, in my experience warrantees are driven by the average MTBF (mean time between failure) for the product. Mostly I buy used, and virtually all hardware outlasts the warrantee by a week or so... :o ;D  It's your machine - customize away! Changing exhaust plumbing affects resonance and gas flow throughout the system. It's both a crap shoot and learning experience opportunity. Keep the OEM bits in case it either doesn't work out or the next owner likes them better, maybe help make a sale.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: July 25, 2022, 12:40:47 am
Actually, Greta was obliquely mentioned in this thread so I guess it qualifies?

Potentially though this thread is not up to the normal Campfire standard.

Gratuitous photo of the "other" Greta ...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #74 on: July 25, 2022, 02:31:26 am
...Honey, I'm home... 8)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: July 25, 2022, 02:49:56 am
...Honey, I'm home... 8)

She was Swedish like the modern Greta. Her characters often displayed the "strong independent modern 1930's woman" archetype (much like Jean Harlow and Bette Davis) and she was like that in real life as well.

Greta Garbo quit movie making in 1941 at the height of her success because she could no longer tolerate the Hollywood system and all it's machinations. She was only 36 but refused to ever make another movie.

For me the real Garbo classic was the 1935 version of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:56:22 am by GlennF »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #76 on: July 25, 2022, 12:53:59 pm
She was Swedish like the modern Greta. Her characters often displayed the "strong independent modern 1930's woman" archetype (much like Jean Harlow and Bette Davis) and she was like that in real life as well.

Greta Garbo quit movie making in 1941 at the height of her success because she could no longer tolerate the Hollywood system and all it's machinations. She was only 36 but refused to ever make another movie.

For me the real Garbo classic was the 1935 version of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #77 on: July 25, 2022, 03:55:19 pm
I personally don't much care for thread drift.

That's why I'm going to try to bring it back on track.

Why did Greta change her pipes?   She felt like it!  And she smoked ciggys too!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/famous-pipe-smokers-greta-garbo

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #78 on: July 25, 2022, 05:36:37 pm
https://youtu.be/yk_5cJ180xc

...indeed we've come a long way.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #79 on: July 25, 2022, 06:39:33 pm

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/famous-pipe-smokers-greta-garbo
It would have been nice to clean her pipes..... ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: July 26, 2022, 01:18:30 am

Definitely my sort of gal ...

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: July 26, 2022, 01:43:52 am
Apparently it pays to increase your word power...so at least we're all on the same page as regards what we're talking about or around.

Bowdlerisation: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowdlerize

Woke: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Most of this "debate" devolves to the concept of fairness or equitability. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good general guideline, regardless of the original source... ::) The operating assumption behind it is that the need is genuine, the ability is not exploited.

Thanks AzCal, Bowdlerise is a sonic beauty, and my, hasn't woke come a long way! 🤪😵

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: July 26, 2022, 03:54:26 am

Most of this "debate" devolves to the concept of fairness or equitability. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good general guideline, regardless of the original source... ::)

The source is somewhat debatable as some people claim that Marx was actually plagiarising Acts 4-35 .

KJV Acts 4:35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Not quite seeing how any of this relates to Greta Garbo though.   :D

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:58:14 am by GlennF »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: August 06, 2022, 12:51:37 am
Did Greta ever own a goat? 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 12:53:49 am by GlennF »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #84 on: August 06, 2022, 02:43:42 pm
A holiday park I once worked in owned a goat called Greta. Are we far enough adrift from the original topic yet?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: August 08, 2022, 12:30:14 am
A holiday park I once worked in owned a goat called Greta. Are we far enough adrift from the original topic yet?

A.

There is also a goat called Greta in the popular children's book "Zoe's Rescue Zoo: The Helpful Hedgehog" .

McElsen

• Scooter
  • LOVE my RE Meteor!
Reply #86 on: August 17, 2022, 09:30:54 am
Well, on that subject:
I have a Meteor and have been looking at slip-ons to get a slightly better sound, like the new Classic has. The meteor has a strange contraption in it's exhaust system that is hidden underneath the bike, like a little pot. Now some claim that is the cat. Others claim it is just there to enhance the sound. However, prior for the gasses going into this little 'pot' there is a little bulge in the horizontal pipe. Some people claim that is the cat. Reason for asking: if I were to bypass the pot with a straight pipe section, would that indeed mean I have no cat anymore?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: August 17, 2022, 01:52:59 pm
I believe that both groups might be right. It is my understanding that the latest version of the old-school (not the Meteors) Indian market air-cooled RE 350 BS6 models have two cats, one in the exhaust header and one in the muffler.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1