Author Topic: What is a fair price to list my iron barrel for?  (Read 1341 times)

parashootist

• Scooter
on: July 17, 2022, 11:26:17 pm
Trying to make some space in the garage so I'm listing 4 bikes for sale with a new one coming in this week.

What is a fair price to list my 2000 Bullet 500 for?

It is in good aesthetic shape with new tires, new Boyer MKIV ignition, new PWK carb, new air filter, and new throttle cable. Comes with spare filters, spare spark plug, original carb and a box with some parts (stock airbox, etc)

I had it running pretty good with the points and the Boyer is close but I'm still getting some kickback. Carb seems pretty well dialed so I think it's just down to a little ignition timing at this point.

Also going to sell a CT90, Suzuki TC120, Yamaha WR250R, and a Daihatsu Hijet van.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:28:18 pm by parashootist »

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 03:18:34 am
Some pictures would be nice, and where you're located.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

parashootist

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 03:29:42 am
I'm located near Boise, Idaho.

Attached a couple pics, different carb/filter on it now.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 05:12:47 am
It's clean, starts, runs, no major issues, some good mods. A buyer could ride it home. I'd toss the rear knobbie and install a K70, that's what people want to see. I think the chain is way too tight, no sag at all. I'd offer it for $5k "OBO" and see what happens. Nice ones are getting rarer. If no bites you can always drop the price $250 at a time. Unless you want to, no reason to give it away. Craigslist is a good start.

It's a specialty market. Folks on a budget will find a $1500 machine and have at it. Others just want to have something pretty in the garage they "could ride if they felt like it", and that's the guy to sell to. I bought my Bullets from dealers that had had a hard time getting a suitable buyer, one that wouldn't return it the next day because a drop of oil was found under it. Yours has no obvious shortcomings save the off-putting knobbie in the rear. The alligator seat is certainly a conversation starter.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:28:41 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

parashootist

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 05:47:58 am
I'd certainly love to get 5k for it. That seems optimistic to me but if that's the going market, I'd be happy to sell it for that.

Maybe I'll try and work on the ignition timing a bit more so it's fully dialed and I can get top dollar.

It is missing one toolbox. The knobby is on there just because I had it already from another bike and it fit. It rides totally smooth with it but yes it's a bit out of place.

It's clean, starts, runs, no major issues, some good mods. A buyer could ride it home. I'd toss the rear knobbie and install a K70, that's what people want to see. I think the chain is way too tight, no sag at all. I'd offer it for $5k "OBO" and see what happens. Nice ones are getting rarer. If no bites you can always drop the price $250 at a time. Unless you want to, no reason to give it away. Craigslist is a good start.

It's a specialty market. Folks on a budget will find a $1500 machine and have at it. Others just want to have something pretty in the garage they "could ride if they felt like it", and that's the guy to sell to. I bought my Bullets from dealers that had had a hard time getting a suitable buyer, one that wouldn't return it the next day because a drop of oil was found under it. Yours has no obvious shortcomings save the off-putting knobbie in the rear. The alligator seat is certainly a conversation starter.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 06:54:10 am
Get a new toolbox from Hitchcock's, slap on a different rear tire. Be patient, start high. Pretty sells. You aren't selling to bargain hunters, but to folks that want an already running, good looking machine, not a project. You can always drop the price if you get antsy. Retard the timing a bit & make sure the valves aren't too tight.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 07:32:48 am
I noticed the side stand is mounted on the front engine bracket, did Royal Enfield sell them like that on the left shift 4 speed?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 04:18:34 pm
Yes, and they are awful. The Samrat unit is far better. H's still have them, around 20 pounds sterling.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 08:05:07 pm
Good advice from our colleague from Arizona regarding gussying up your machine as much as possible, and taking excellent photos.  These days, folks who make videos of their bikes being started and run, and post them on U-tube, with a link from their ad(s), can generally expect the time spent to be worth the effort.

But, I think he might be a bit optimistic on asking price.  It's true that prices of 2nd hand RE Singles increased noticeably when Royal Enfield announced the discontinuation of the 500s.  But with the arrival of the new OHC 350 Classic at US dealerships just a few weeks ago, I think the market has subtly shifted again.  I think that these machines, which can be purchased brand new with a warrantee for as little as $4500 plus dealer fees and charges, will attract a lot of the "dream-cycle" market, which will put downward pressure on the prices of similar used machines.

Although members here in the forum can easily tell the difference between a old Iron Belly Bullet and one with a newer engine, I personally found that my UCE Classic 500 attracted more "nostalgia interest" than my older machine with IB pre-unit construction.  People were responding to the old timey styling, which is intentionally more blatant on the Classic, than it is on the Bullet, which is only incidentally retro.  And, nobody wanted to tell stories about how they had a Royal Enfield back in the day, it was always about the BSA or Triumph that was in their life back in the golden days.   The RE aroused an abstract nostalgia about classic motorcycles, but never anything specific to the make or model.

Judging from what our own members have said here in the forum, those who are searching specifically for IB machines, and rejecting UCE candidates, are doing so because they want the mechanical challenge required by the old technology.  I doubt that those who want a bike to ride on warm summer evenings, or to put on display, will pay a premium to acquire the more scarce IB.

But, you never know, and it only takes one buyer to make a sale.

I'd look at the comparables and price accordingly.  You can find some here:

https://www.2040-motos.com/Royal-Enfield/
https://royal-enfields.blogspot.com/
https://www.classic.com/m/royal-enfield/
https://www.cycletrader.com/Royal-Enfield/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle%7C356953&make=Royal%20Enfield%7C9301341

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:20:31 pm
Without argument Axman88 has an uncanny ability to quantify & put into words market qualities.

"I think that these machines, which can be purchased brand new with a warrantee for as little as $4500 plus dealer fees and charges, will attract a lot of the "dream-cycle" market."

"The RE aroused an abstract nostalgia about classic motorcycles, but never anything specific to the make or model.

I've personally witnessed people exhibiting both behaviors. I agree an actual sales price is likely under $5k, but the rub is that there's no way to know exactly how much. Unless you just need it to go away, starting high & dropping the price gradually allows time for "that guy" to find your bike and for you to see the best return. "But, you never know, and it only takes one buyer to make a sale." It isn't an entirely rational process... ;D
But put it on Craigslist with lots of pics. If you get no bites in a few days, drop the price a bit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:25:48 pm by AzCal Retred »

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 01:19:18 am
I noticed the side stand is mounted on the front engine bracket, did Royal Enfield sell them like that on the left shift 4 speed?
This one is a 1998
One of the 1st things we did was remove it.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

parashootist

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 05:12:15 am
I suppose I'll throw it up and see. I was considering giving eBay a shot to get a wider audience. The market here in Idaho isn't that great. I used to live in Philly and this bike would sell there in a day.

I do enjoy the Enfield but it just doesn't suit where I live. As soon as I exit my street it's 65mph roads all the way to town which is 35 miles away. I just seem to choose the other bikes in the stable more. With that said, I don't need to sell it so if it doesn't sell quickly, no worries. I just am trying to make some space for a new bike that I'm picking up this week.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 06:17:20 am
Do both. More exposure is always better. Reduce the "information cost" to the buyer. If you can advertise out of state for a nominal amount on ebay or CL, I'd do it. I've driven at least 350 - 700 miles round trip for all my Enfields save one, that one I had shipped from Oregon. There's a seasonal aspect to this as well, Axman88 probably has some insight here. All I know is that sometimes you can't even give a particular bike away. A few months later, that same machine is scarce as hen's teeth. You need patience, it's like fishing. But there are no more new ones, so...?

My Bullets are ideal for where I live, all twisty 25-40 MPH backroad. If you are mostly on 65 MPH roads...it's definitely the wrong machine for you.

parashootist

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 06:20:34 am
Yea, if I still lived in Philly or s place with two lane back country roads, this bike would be a blast. Instead I live somewhere where I'm rather doing 60+ or I'm riding dirt (hence why I have new knobby tires laying around).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 07:22:13 am
If time is on your side, stick to your guns. I sold a Victory Hammer a few years ago. There really is no market for a bike like that in the Scottish Borders so I spoke to the proprietor at Thunder City M/cs in Leeds. Andy asked if I needed the money right away or could wait - he said this bike is worth £10,000 but selling an unusual bike you need to play the long game. I left the bike with him and got on with life. One day, nearly twelve months later, the phone rang. Andy said a bloke from Wales just come in and bought your bike. 'We had to take a slight haircut to clinch the deal, shook hands on £9,750' Happy days.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe