Author Topic: Fuel Tank Change  (Read 14055 times)

woodywyatt

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 12:05:20 pm
Nice one. Thanks folks, very helpful  :) ;)

Tricky Ricky

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 02:15:32 pm
I swap my Silver Spectre for a Mark3 or back at every valve adjustment. The Mark 3 came from Royal Spares via eBay and arrived in perfect condition. I spent the extra and installed all new parts, pump, sending unit, hoses, clamps, O rings, screws and the like. Makes the swap much easier, faster and puts less stress on components from removing and installing.
All the required parts were less than the price of the tank.

Tricky Ricky

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 02:34:00 pm
I failed to mention that for some reason the new sending unit is waaaay more accurate than the original. Could be just coincidence?.?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 04:14:53 pm
I swap my Silver Spectre for a Mark3 or back at every valve adjustment. The Mark 3 came from Royal Spares via eBay and arrived in perfect condition. I spent the extra and installed all new parts, pump, sending unit, hoses, clamps, O rings, screws and the like. Makes the swap much easier, faster and puts less stress on components from removing and installing.
All the required parts were less than the price of the tank.
Curious, did the box, part #, etc. of the Royal Spares tank appear to come from the Royal Enfield mothership?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 06, 2021, 12:20:54 am
I failed to mention that for some reason the new sending unit is waaaay more accurate than the original. Could be just coincidence?.?

The RE fuel sender unit is only an old style float on a wire setup from what I can see. Bending the float wire will adjust the level reading so any slight variation in the wire shape will have an effect on accuracy.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #20 on: September 06, 2021, 01:22:36 am
The RE fuel sender unit is only an old style float on a wire setup from what I can see. Bending the float wire will adjust the level reading so any slight variation in the wire shape will have an effect on accuracy.
If you know; is there an electric latency built into the system? (there have been a couple of times when I would have expected the fuel gauge to bounce but it didn't)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Tricky Ricky

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 06, 2021, 04:39:04 am
The tank from Royal spares is a genuine RE tank. No factory seconds or aftermarket. The tank was perfect with emblems installed. Arrived without a mark which is pretty difficult with black. So nice I didn’t want to touch it for fear of leaving a mark!
As far as the sending unit: There were complaints about the sending units in early models,RE seem to have corrected that with this new sending unit. Trying to adjust a sending unit could be a ton of work. Probably easier to replace the sending unit. Even though the fuel level indicator was a bit off on my 19 Silver Spectre it still wasn’t a big enough issue to try to repair it.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 05:02:37 am
If you know; is there an electric latency built into the system? (there have been a couple of times when I would have expected the fuel gauge to bounce but it didn't)

Yes but that built into the back end, the software. There will be an empty cal point and that can be adjusted by the traditional time honoured method of bending the float support arm. A bit fiddly with the tank off but doable.

Ciao     
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 08:10:19 am
I checked the wiring diagram and the tank sender unit is the simple variable resistor not the more complex 3 wire variable voltage output with a 12/5 volt input transducer.
For those that want to adjust the empty point what I would do is turn the ignition on and syphon fuel out until the indication starts flashing. Then remove the tank and measure the resistance across the pins of the sender unit with the tank level. Note down the resistance figure. Then drain the tank completely noting the volume and bend the float arm a little and then add a litre or so at a time until the resistance reading is the same as was originally recorded and note the quantity of fuel you have added. Pull the sender unit and repeat if it's not what you want it to be. You won't need to drain the tank again just turn it on its side or end to remove the sender for further adjustments until you get the correct reading. Way too much effort for me but some out there seem fussy about it and at what remaining fuel level the indication starts flashing.

Ciao     
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:19:08 am by lucky phil »
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

PrinceValiant

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 09:08:52 am
Dependent on location , the dealer may have tanks ‘ in stock ‘ it’s not an unusual request to swap a tank , never know .
New month , New tank.
I’d like a black with stripe / Lettering as a alternate for mine .

Keeping in mind , mine is a ice queen with a ravishing red tank…. Hahaha

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 09:11:21 am
Dependent on location , the dealer may have tanks ‘ in stock ‘ it’s not an unusual request to swap a tank , never know .
New month , New tank.
I’d like a black with stripe / Lettering as a alternate for mine .

Keeping in mind , mine is a ice queen with a ravishing red tank…. Hahaha

Yes, with the commensurate "first world" mark up on the price.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

PrinceValiant

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 10:23:51 am
Nah , not really , dependent on colour between $40 - $140 buckeroos .
Chrome and orange crush appear the most expensive .

Black magic and ravishing red are very reasonable - from either source .

Parts seem reasonable for these beasties , everyone is different , but I’m kinda ambivalent about it . Want it  - buy it , wanna wait , go online and check out to wider world , just takes longer to land in my hot little hands .

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 01:11:06 pm
Nah , not really , dependent on colour between $40 - $140 buckeroos .
Chrome and orange crush appear the most expensive .

Black magic and ravishing red are very reasonable - from either source .

Parts seem reasonable for these beasties , everyone is different , but I’m kinda ambivalent about it . Want it  - buy it , wanna wait , go online and check out to wider world , just takes longer to land in my hot little hands .

$140 for a new interceptor tank? really? PM me the name of the seller here in Aus and I'll get one myself.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

woodywyatt

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2021, 10:25:31 am
Just a quick update, tank installation went well. Re-installing the fuel pump was a bit fiddly but all in all no probs  :)

Postage to Canary Islands was super fast from both sellers:

Tank purchased on eBay from royal-sparezo
Red Rooster Pipes also from ebay - royalspareparts

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2021, 11:24:09 am
Just a quick update, tank installation went well. Re-installing the fuel pump was a bit fiddly but all in all no probs  :)

Postage to Canary Islands was super fast from both sellers:

Tank purchased on eBay from royal-sparezo
Red Rooster Pipes also from ebay - royalspareparts

Great News and 2 companies I've had great experience and success in dealings with👍
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍