Author Topic: Deleting own posts?  (Read 1711 times)

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 30, 2021, 07:20:13 am
deleting own posts when they have "ran their race" or are of no real value....I have a couple :(

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 07:45:32 pm
deleting own posts when they have "ran their race" or are of no real value....I have a couple :(
You have to ask a moderator.  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=28950.0

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 10:08:02 pm
Yup. Just shoot me a PM with the precise link to your posting, and I'll happily torpedo it so long as it doesn't toss the whole thread into cryptic disarray. Initial postings in a thread might well do that. I'll also do edits from time to time on request, such as if, at first unbeknownst to you, that spell checker had seized the reins or, say, a link needs correction or some "link rot" has set in. I don't really yearn for a steady diet of such drudgery, but I well understand.

The Admins thought it best a short while back to disable those edit and delete functions after an hour had elapsed after one of our members had decided in a huff to commence deleting each and every post they'd ever made, thereby basically borking the contexts of many otherwise useful or interesting threads. Frankly though, at this point I'd have no objection to resuming the former unlimited editing period for all users. In the meantime, just shoot me a request.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 03:32:47 pm
I'll also do edits from time to time on request, such as if, at first unbeknownst to you, that spell checker had seized the reins or, say, a link needs correction or some "link rot" has set in.

I joined a large bicycle forum and wanted to discuss new developments in 2 speed "kickback" coaster brake hubs.  (Some of you might remember the old Bendix Yellow, Blue and Red band hubs).

It turned out that the automatic "political correctness corrector" installed in that forum just refused to let me discuss the weakest link of that mechanism.   Retarder spring kept coming out as " ******er spring".   I settled on "returder", which was accepted.

Woe to future generations of technical writers!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 04:28:23 pm
I subscribe to a sailing forum where "hell" is automatically morphed into "hull". But I expect it's just a joke, and otherwise the old adage of "swearing like a sailor" is in full effect.

I grew up in Boston, where "youse ah wikkid retahded!" (= "You are all are profoundly idiotic") was an expression of affection towards one's fellows--just about the only acceptable one.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.