Author Topic: Workshop manuals now available online, including the 650 Twins  (Read 50496 times)

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Workshop manuals are now available online :) We have spent a lot of time and effort to source almost the entire range of workshop manuals produced for Royal Enfield motorcycles, right from 1945 up until the present day. We have copied all of these older styles to a digital format to go along side the newer models, and have listed these on our website as a free of charge download for all.

So, whilst paper copies are still available to purchase for the older models, we now have PDF versions of all workshop manuals (both Redditch and Indian built). These can be accessed via the “Information and Forum” section on the Hitchcocks website, or by using the direct link below and selecting the relevant bike model:
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Workshop-Manuals-To-Download

Hopefully, this readily available source of technical information will be a useful asset to owners, or perhaps just an interest point to see other models.

Dan
Hitchcocks Motorcycles
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:45:49 pm by Dantheman »

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 05:58:48 pm
The interactive parts book is now online for the 650 Interceptor: https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook/287/2019-650-interceptor

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Trouble is they are all on PDF and l have nothing to read them.

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
You can find a lot of PDF readers here : https://pdf.wondershare.fr/top-pdf-software/free-pdf-reader.html (sorry the site is in French, télécharger means download)
The first one seems quite cool.
I didn't found the manual for the 650 following the link or on Hitch's site but I've found it, in English, on a french forum.
Here's the link : http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/spip/spip.php?article652
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:57:40 am by Voun »

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
What am i doing wrong.  When I click the link, it takes me to the Hitchcocks website where it shows everything except the twin.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
I can’t see the 650 manual to either view or download!
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Just take a look at my last post just above ... ;)

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Update.

We listed all the workshop manuals on our website for downloading free of charge, both English made RE models and current Indian models. Unfortunately, we have been forced to remove any workshop manuals for the very latest models, this includes the 650 Twins. These are not available in a paper format to purchase through RE, and we are told these workshop manuals are for dealer use only.

As a company, it is something we have to abide by, but we are in talks with RE to have this decision reconsidered, as we feel it is something that should be readily available to owners in order to maintain their bikes correctly. 

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Update.

We listed all the workshop manuals on our website for downloading free of charge, both English made RE models and current Indian models. Unfortunately, we have been forced to remove any workshop manuals for the very latest models, this includes the 650 Twins. These are not available in a paper format to purchase through RE, and we are told these workshop manuals are for dealer use only.

As a company, it is something we have to abide by, but we are in talks with RE to have this decision reconsidered, as we feel it is something that should be readily available to owners in order to maintain their bikes correctly.

It is quite understandable when manufacturers publish these manuals to want to defend their copyrights on them for several years, because not to do so means they soon appear on the internet for anyone to access without paying them for the rights to have it. Hence, they usually offer them for sale to both dealers and Diy'ers and make some money off their investment.

But to not even offer them for sale to the public, through their dealerships, seems extremely short sighted of RE and I could only assume the rationale is to drive the servicing side of a dealer's business, as a means to support a growing dealership network while in its infancy in most foreign countries. Meanwhile, RE will not be gathering any goodwill from potential RE bike owners who prefer to do their own maintenance.

RE's focus should be on selling as many bikes as they can, without putting roadblocks to satisfaction with the company in a customers way, while their dealerships will survive just fine if they have fully qualified technicians who can keep that segment of their business bringing back repeat service customers.

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
It is quite understandable when manufacturers publish these manuals to want to defend their copyrights on them for several years, because not to do so means they soon appear on the internet for anyone to access without paying them for the rights to have it. Hence, they usually offer them for sale to both dealers and Diy'ers and make some money off their investment.

But to not even offer them for sale to the public, through their dealerships, seems extremely short sighted of RE and I could only assume the rationale is to drive the servicing side of a dealer's business, as a means to support a growing dealership network while in its infancy in most foreign countries. Meanwhile, RE will not be gathering any goodwill from potential RE bike owners who prefer to do their own maintenance.

RE's focus should be on selling as many bikes as they can, without putting roadblocks to satisfaction with the company in a customers way, while their dealerships will survive just fine if they have fully qualified technicians who can keep that segment of their business bringing back repeat service customers.
I don't disagree. But there could be a sadder reason. Ie: I take my motorcycle apart. I put it back together. Test ride and something locks up (substitute whatever failure you choose) the bike (and me) skids under the wheels of the biggest truck in the world. You can see where this is going. At trial, the witnesses all say that I'm a known, competent mechanic. I used the shop manual as the gospel. ....
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
I don't disagree. But there could be a sadder reason. Ie: I take my motorcycle apart. I put it back together. Test ride and something locks up (substitute whatever failure you choose) the bike (and me) skids under the wheels of the biggest truck in the world. You can see where this is going. At trial, the witnesses all say that I'm a known, competent mechanic. I used the shop manual as the gospel. ....

Not to discard that idea, but I had to laugh about the "At trial" mention, as we all know how litigious the USA can be.  ;D

And that would be on RE's dime if it was awarded, not the dealer, so I would think that any manufacturer would make damn sure that all critical data is correct before publication. I have found minor errors in my Honda ST1100 manual, dealing only with a minor lube point issue, but never an improper torque value or any other such critical information.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:59:26 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Speaking of the US, I'm fairly sure that US law precludes the manufacturer from withholding the shop manual data. I have a feeling it's tied in with their constitutional rights to make the information available publicly. Not free mind but available.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Speaking of the US, I'm fairly sure that US law precludes the manufacturer from withholding the shop manual data. I have a feeling it's tied in with their constitutional rights to make the information available publicly. Not free mind but available.

Ciao

That's not as clear cut as it use to be, especially if you're not an authorized workshop. Right now there is a lot of discussion going on concerning "right to repair" specifically who has that right and to what extent. John Deere and some of the other large equipment manufacturers are taking the stance that the end user doesn't have the right to certain "intellectual property" that's traditionally been found in shop manuals. It's become a burning issue with farmers, who can't wait, (or afford) for a factory tech to work on their broken machinery. It's also an issue for watercraft, in particular things like commercial fishing boats, where a broken engine can literally mean life or death. My brother is a John Deere marine engine dealer and tells me things are becoming quite contentious with lawsuits flying left, right and center.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
God this world is getting sillier by the day.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
God this world is getting sillier by the day.

Ciao
And this is largely why I prefer the company of dogs.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...