Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 92674 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #135 on: May 24, 2014, 12:30:08 am
Even quoting you saying it's the intake port, I was still thinking I was looking at the exhaust port.  It's Friday... right?   ::)  Time to back away from the computer.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #136 on: May 24, 2014, 12:33:34 am
     Thanks a lot, Ace, for the pictures & for everything & for being a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks for all the comments from all you guys also. This thread will get longer as the dialing in goes on, I'm sure. Maybe I'll be lucky & the jetting & needle I've put in per recommendations will be good from the getgo. Nah. That'll never happen.

I may have to beg for help on the throttle cable at some point. My local bike shop has still not gotten it in from SUDCO. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: May 24, 2014, 12:36:41 am

........I may have to beg for help on the throttle cable at some point. My local bike shop has still not gotten it in from SUDCO.

FWIW  I tried to order this cable from my Jap bike parts supplier earlier in the week and they couldn't even order it.  Not sure why, but perhaps your shop is having a similar problem.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: May 24, 2014, 01:10:41 pm
FWIW  I tried to order this cable from my Jap bike parts supplier earlier in the week and they couldn't even order it.  Not sure why, but perhaps your shop is having a similar problem.

Scottie J

When I call SUDCO I am told that I can't order a part as an individual private person. I have to deal with my dealer  ;)

What I'm being told by my dealer is that it's the $$ value of the order that is the controlling factor. They must have a minimum $$ figure or they can't do the order & they haven't reached that $$ figure yet because most of the time involved has been off-season hence few orders.

I'll call the shop again today. If it's not there yet I'm going to call SUDCO again & grovel & beg & otherwise humiliate myself to any extent necessary to get them to feel sorry for me & let me order it as an individual  :D   :D

I can see already that you can't do everything with this TM 32 without dismounting it from the engine like you can with the BS 29.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: May 24, 2014, 01:40:08 pm
          I'll call the shop again today. If it's not there yet I'm going to call SUDCO again & grovel & beg & otherwise humiliate myself to any extent necessary to get them to feel sorry for me & let me order it as an individual  :D   :D

I had the same problem.  I just ordered an Iron Barrel cable.  It doesnt have the adjuster on the cable but the carb has plenty. With that said, i needed to trim the cable housing about 1 inch.  On my Electra the cable housing is around 37.5 inches (if i recall correctly). 

I can see already that you can't do everything with this TM 32 without dismounting it from the engine like you can with the BS 29.

I've been pulling the tank, and leaving the carb on.  Its the spring that's hard to wrestle with on the bike...
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:08 pm
Motion Pro sells a lot of Sudco try them.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: May 24, 2014, 03:28:52 pm
Motion Pro sells a lot of Sudco try them.   ERC

Yes. That's the brand name of the cable you get from SUDCO. I'll try calling Motion Pro directly & see what they say.

OK. I tried. They're open Monday through Friday only.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:40:07 pm by tooseevee »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: May 24, 2014, 03:51:32 pm
Sudco and Motion Pro are sister companies, Sudco is the Manufacture and Motion Pro is the name the cables are sold under.  If it's a matter of not having a big enough order from the dealer, you should try contacting an actual parts supplier that deals in higher volume of parts and places orders every single week.

Scottie J

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:52 pm
I think you can order directly from Motion on their web site.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: May 24, 2014, 06:51:59 pm

I had the same problem.  I just ordered an Iron Barrel cable. 

From who....?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: May 24, 2014, 06:57:44 pm
I think you can order directly from Motion on their web site.  ERC

Yes, you can, but I need a part number. The SUDCO part number (021-947) means nothing to the Motion Pro website search. Every other type of search I could think up got me nothing. I have to talk to an actual person who can relate that SUDCO part number to a Motion Pro part number.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: May 24, 2014, 09:26:34 pm
How cute it's a wonder they sell anything.  ERC

Adrian

Reply #148 on: May 24, 2014, 11:01:32 pm
              From who....?

Try ebay, loads on there if nfield gear doesn't have any.

Tom,

something I just remembered:

There might need to be a little retarding adjustment on the ignition timing, but we'll see how it does first, and adjust if needed.
9.8:1 compression ratio on this.

Sadly for most of us AVL owners this can be a little tricky. As the ignition is crank triggered and non-adjustable you'd need to play with some of Hitchcock's offset alternator rotor keys, though you MIGHT get away with elongating the trigger's mounting holes with a small round file. But then again it might actually run better with the ignition "over" advanced. Some of the guys on the British Bulleteers' forum have been successfully running 37 degree BTDC full advance on tuned iron barrel models with the classic hemi head. Given that the AVL head is a more modern design, and you have improved this one still further, I would be surprised if the stock ignition did need retarding. My AVL hybrid's magneto is set to about 35 degrees BTDC fully advanced.

Regards,

A.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:37 pm

Try ebay, loads on there if nfield gear doesn't have any.

You clearly haven't checked Ebay or Amazon.  The part number doesn't exist in the retail world apparently.