Author Topic: '06 AVL Electra oil leak  (Read 9601 times)

BuckeyeButch

• Scooter
on: April 24, 2019, 08:28:34 pm
While riding today I discovered a sizable oil leak. It is located on the front, lower right around the nut in the middle of the cover in the attached picture. What should I do??

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:28:06 pm
I would put a fiber washer under the dome nut. That will probably seal it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:53:37 pm
No it won't, Ace, that tappet cover has got a dirty great crack in it! Bin it and fit a new one.

The same tappet cover on my Electra-X also cracked, around the vale lifter spindle boss, and oil p*ssd out of it.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:15:42 am
I'm not a great fan of using epoxy to patch things up but if that cover was on my bike I think I would get some J-B Weld out.

After removing the cover and thoroughly removing all of the oil from the crack I would work as much of the mixed epoxy down into the crack as possible applying it only on the inside surfaces so people couldn't see it.
While it was still soft I would wipe the sealing surface to keep it clean and flat.  (Acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner or better yet "Disk Brake Cleaner" would do a good job of removing the oil.

After the epoxy cures I would reinstall the cover using a fiber washer like the other guys mentioned above.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:24:07 am
The good news is that a search of eBay for "enfield avl tappet cover" turns up a bunch for not much more than ten bucks, some even with a fresh gasket to boot, and with free delivery. The down side is that they'll have to trundle here in slo-mo all the way from India. Maybe our Forum hosts in Ft. Worth will have one that you could get a bit quicker...Hard to say what with their online Parts Catalog down. But if it were mine, with the superb riding weather on hand, I'd take Arizoni's sage advice, patch up that crack with JB Weld, order the new cover, and swap it out when the new one finally arrives in a month or so. I've had good luck with the vendor "Enfield County" with the odd knicknack. Here is their cover and gasket offering for just $14.39 delivered.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:32:15 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 12:54:52 pm
While riding today I discovered a sizable oil leak. It is located on the front, lower right around the nut in the middle of the cover in the attached picture. What should I do??

That cover is cracked because the nut was over tightened. And that blue stuff will never seal it.

You can fix it if you like as Arizoni suggested and wait for the new one to arrive as Bilgemaster suggests.

When you get the new one (and the new gasket) the sealing surface will not be flat. Rub it on sandpaper on a flat surface to bring it to flat.

Use a light coat of something on the (very clean) sealing surfaces (as Arizoni suggests) and not that blue stuff. Don't over tighten the nut.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 01:10:39 pm
Sorry, I didn't look carefully enough for the crack, and just suggested the washer.
 :-\
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 03:28:35 pm
Maybe our Forum hosts in Ft. Worth will have one that you could get a bit quicker...Hard to say what with their online Parts Catalog down.

The online parts sales of our current and previous hosts were never all that inclusive - it was, and is, always best to call them if you really want to know if they've got a part you need...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 03:33:36 pm
Part number 814010 if you want to try RE-FW.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

BuckeyeButch

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 07:55:40 pm
Okay, now for an update. I found a new tappet cover online at Hitchcock's and received it in only 5 days. The original cover was too cracked to even attempt the JB Weld fix. I cleaned, sanded, scraped and carefully installed the new cover and gasket. Now the frigging bike won't start! It cranks easily, it has fresh gasoline, a new spark plug and putted for a few seconds a few times. Now it just cranks. Any ideas?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 11:58:53 pm
Is the cam lifter style compression release holding the exhaust valve open?

I haven't had the dubious pleasure of working on a AVL so there might be some sort of special way to position the lever when you put the cover in place.
If the exhaust valve is being held open by the lever, even though the compression release lever on the handle bars is in the "off" position, the engine won't run right.

I'm sure some of our AVL people will tell us if there is something special about assembling these things.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 01:10:13 am
Okay, now for an update. I found a new tappet cover online at Hitchcock's and received it in only 5 days. The original cover was too cracked to even attempt the JB Weld fix. I cleaned, sanded, scraped and carefully installed the new cover and gasket. Now the frigging bike won't start! It cranks easily, it has fresh gasoline, a new spark plug and putted for a few seconds a few times. Now it just cranks. Any ideas?

Relative to what Arizoni has asked you about the decompresor permanently holding the exhaust valve open, it doesn't seem likely, BUT

(1) Did you have any issues installing the operating lever and cam in your new tappet cover?

(2) When you pull up on that little lever (with the spring on it) on tappet cover with your finger, does it move up and down?

(3) When you operate the handlebar lever does the little lever on the tappet cover move up and then down when you release it?

If (2) and (3) are yes, then I don't believe the cam is jammed into the exhaust valve push rod. If that little lever in moving up and back down freely, I don't think the cam could be jammed.

But I 'spose anything's possible.

So. Is your battery really charged up to tip top shape?

Have you pulled the plug to see if it's wet with gas? Or fouled (dirty black)?

Petcock?  Kill switch?

You could also remove the tappet cover altogether and see if it starts.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 03:20:40 am
Fuel valve open?Can't tell you how many times I forgot to open it and got the same results you're experiencing.  :-[
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 03:35:55 am
As well as all the other suggestions, try putting the old known working spark plug back in just to rule out your new one being the problem. I got a brand new NGK that was so spell-binding in its malfunctioning right out of the box, with sparks emanating from most everywhere but where they ought at the electrode, that I christened it "Sparky McWhattefuck."  That was my last NGK. From now on it's Champions for me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:03:35 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 08:17:22 am
That was my last NGK. From now on it's Champions for me.
Which Champion plug do you use please? I looked on the European Champion website and RE isn't listed.

Frank