Poll

Hitchcock's incur costs supporting the Forum. How willing are you to help defray these costs?

I'll tithe 10% of my personal income.
0 (0%)
I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.
0 (0%)
$5 a year seems reasonable.
0 (0%)
$10 a year seems reasonable.
1 (50%)
$25 for a "lifetime" membership seems reasonable.
0 (0%)
$50 for a "lifetime" membership seems reasonable.
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: April 08, 2024, 12:35:55 am

Author Topic: forum downtime?  (Read 579 times)

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 22, 2024, 12:08:34 pm
sure has been a lot of forum downtime lately.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 01:21:35 pm
sure has been a lot of forum downtime lately.

If you mean that the forum has been hard to access for the past couple of weeks, I would agree with that statement. But this morning things seem to be back to normal and I hope it stays that way.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Carl350

• Grand Gearhead
  • Southern Spain / UK
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 07:01:09 pm

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 02:21:10 am
Glad it's back online! DOA 3 days by my count. Maybe we need to get some skin in the game and have subscriptions to defray the upkeep? Hitchcock's can't subsidize expanding storage bills indefinitely. The Pre-Unit stopped production in 2008, the UCE is about done. Lots of useful "tribal knowledge" here, but Royal Enfield is moving on with new hardware. H's already provide online manuals & tech bulletins. The Forum's "value" to them would be hard to quantify. Maybe us frequent contributors need to become "Docents"? How about a "Karma Point" for a year subscription? It'd show we value the site.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 01:12:00 pm
Posted elsewhere on this forum:

Hi Guys,

As you may have noticed we have had an issue with the forum being down over the last couple of days along with some performance degradation over the last couple of weeks.

The issue was that the forum was reaching its maximum capacity, and without warning to ourselves went down.

The forum has been going since 2007 and holds a lot of historical posts and valuable information for the Royal Enfield brand, as such it is fairly large in size. Rather than delete some of this historical data, we have, at considerable cost upgraded the forum to give extra storage to help prevent it happening again. This upgrade should also improve the general performance.

Thank you for your continued support and apologies for the disruption over the last few days.
Dan (Hitchcocks Motorcycles)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 04:15:24 pm
Everything is cost/benefit. Pay to play is the norm. There better be a demonstrable cost benefit to this Hitchcock's supported Forum or it will grind to a halt. Subscriptions or memberships are a way to defray costs. “Once you carry your own water, you will learn the value of every drop”
" Rather than delete some of this historical data, we have, at considerable cost upgraded the forum to give extra storage to help prevent it happening again. "
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 12:00:40 pm
Everything is cost/benefit. Pay to play is the norm. There better be a demonstrable cost benefit to this Hitchcock's supported Forum or it will grind to a halt. Subscriptions or memberships are a way to defray costs. “Once you carry your own water, you will learn the value of every drop”
" Rather than delete some of this historical data, we have, at considerable cost upgraded the forum to give extra storage to help prevent it happening again. "

I get the cost to benefit factor as far as Hitchcock's is concerned, but I don't see a membership or subscription as being practical, speaking for myself it'd be deal breaker. I have fun here, but not enough to pay for it.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 02:51:05 pm
I see it working more on a voluntary basis contribution, not as a requirement to read & search the Forum.

Maybe non-member posts might have a 24 hour delay for content testing, the easy-to-find-and-paid-up contributors could blather on immediately. That might sort out some bots & trolls and incentivise membership. Questions would still get answered but BSC rants might not make the cut.

Quest

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 03:21:55 pm
Life is simple if you let it be.
Just shop more (or at least once) at Hitchcocks.
They have the same prices, on average, as the flea-bay / you know what you are getting / great service and backup.
Simple.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 03:33:37 pm
They have the same prices, on average, as the flea-bay / you know what you are getting / great service and backup.
Simple.
i always check hitchcocks first.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 04:12:32 pm
Simple.

+1 I get parts from them as quickly as I do from local dealer., very often quicker, and they have a much large selection of aftermarket accessories. Our local RE dealer is good, but he doesn't stock much beyond filters and a few maintenance parts like gaskets. If RENA doesn't have it in stock, it can take weeks to receive a fairly common part.   Hitchcocks always seems to have what I need in stock and gets it to the US usually within five working days.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 04:28:54 pm
@ #9: +1!! :)

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 12:24:23 am
The forum is good advertising for Hitchcocks.
Shop at Hitchcocks.
Hitchcocks are best for Royal Enfield parts and accessories.
See Hitchcocks website for details and prices.
It's Hitchcocks for me . Check Hitchcocks out for all your Royal Enfield requirements.
Remember -HITCHCOCKS. :)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 01:58:09 am
Hitchcock's is kindly absorbing the additional Forum costs. Let's throw some business their way, it's only equitable. - ACR -

xxxxxxxxx

Hello,
Thank you for the message, I have had a few members suggest similar lines, and it is a very kind suggestion and is much appreciated. However, Hitchcocks are going to continue supporting this forum without external advertisements and would not want to go down the subscription route. The forum gives us great support from members using Hitchcocks for their parts/accessories needs. This in itself helps to justify the running costs of the forum and we are pleased to be able to offer the platform for all RE enthusiasts.
Regards,
Dan

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 03:32:25 am
Paying makes no difference to me.

Having to pay works if everyone can still view but are unable to post/reply. I used to belong to another motorcycle forum that had a lot of people posting all the time. Then they decided to restrict it to where you had to pay to even view and they eventually dropped the forum due to lack of interest.

Is it possible to have advertising like a lot of others do ?

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 11:58:12 pm
Hitchcock's is kindly absorbing the additional Forum costs. Let's throw some business their way, it's only equitable. - ACR -

xxxxxxxxx

Hello,
Thank you for the message, I have had a few members suggest similar lines, and it is a very kind suggestion and is much appreciated. However, Hitchcocks are going to continue supporting this forum without external advertisements and would not want to go down the subscription route. The forum gives us great support from members using Hitchcocks for their parts/accessories needs. This in itself helps to justify the running costs of the forum and we are pleased to be able to offer the platform for all RE enthusiasts.
Regards,
Dan
That will be a relief to Yorkshire members - back to :
Hear all see all say nowt,
Eat all sup all pay nowt,
And if thoo ever does owt for nowt,
Allus do it for thissen. :)