Author Topic: Has anyone done a C5 carb conversion  (Read 10115 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: March 24, 2021, 05:27:00 am
If you can enjoy riding a computer on wheels, have at it. I prefer to ride MACHINES.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: March 24, 2021, 08:47:02 am
Computers are also just machines. Not something magical.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

muezler

• Scooter
  • Austria - Styria
Reply #92 on: March 24, 2021, 11:33:31 am
Computers are also just machines. Not something magical.

The human body is also just a machine. A bio chemical machine and nothing magical. It needs fuel and runs on electricity.
But I much prefer my wife next to me at night and not my laptop.

Some like the analog feeling of a carburetor and some the mathematical correct values from a ECU.

To each its own

Some embrace the simplicity of being able to manually work on parts that they can see and feel with their hands and manipulate them.
Others love the endless possibilities the digital world gives them to precisely form everything to their view of perfection.

Nothing is better by default. It all comes down to personal preference....as is all in life.

And this topic is called "Has anyone done a C5 carb conversion" and not "What is better...Carb or ECU"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:46:55 am by muezler »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #93 on: March 24, 2021, 12:30:48 pm
Here's the thing.
All a carb or EFI can do is deliver the proper fuel mixture. That's as far as they can go in helping performance.

Both are at the mercy of who tunes it. There are bad carb tuners and bad EFI tuners, and also good ones.

While EFI systems can compensate for atmospheric conditions, so can CV carbs.

If you want improved engine performance, that comes from engine modification, which would then dictate what size carb or throttle body to use.

Both systems work. Neither is perfect.
Use what makes you happy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:36:43 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: March 24, 2021, 01:07:13 pm
Personally I have nothing against computers. It is the programming of them by humans that can drive me nuts.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

jvb

• Scooter
Reply #95 on: March 24, 2021, 10:40:18 pm
Personally I have nothing against computers. It is the programming of them by humans that can drive me nuts.  ::)

;D  As a retired programmer (46 yrs of it) I heartily concur!

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #96 on: March 29, 2021, 07:03:45 am
Just watched 'Riding solo to the top of the world' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owyZlsa0xfE. At extreme altitudes he had to hop off and push his Enfield. Would an RE EFI model have kept going? I live at sea level so I'm just interested to get an idea from those in lands with some serious altitude.

I understand repairing a carburetor version would be more doable in these remote locations.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #97 on: March 29, 2021, 01:24:30 pm
Just watched 'Riding solo to the top of the world' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owyZlsa0xfE. At extreme altitudes he had to hop off and push his Enfield. Would an RE EFI model have kept going? I live at sea level so I'm just interested to get an idea from those in lands with some serious altitude.

I understand repairing a carburetor version would be more doable in these remote locations.
They claimed in the past that the EFI was mapped to 18000 feet. I have heard reports from India that it wasn't, and crapped out at much lower altitudes. I never tried it myself.

The carbed Iron Barrel models have a screw that can be removed from the intake manifold to make it run much leaner for extreme altitiudes. Pretty sure that the Iron Barrel still rules the Himalayan adventures.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: April 03, 2021, 10:22:46 am
The EFi has no Problem matching the low air pressure. What would be a greater problem is the lack of hp in these heights. As you just have a low compression.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #99 on: April 03, 2021, 10:49:44 am
Thanks ace and viczena for your feedback. I don't think I'll have to worry in NZ with our highest road being under 4000 feet, but it was interesting to hear the technical side of things. I'm sure EFI is very basic to those with a bit of technical know-how.