Author Topic: Low rider seat?  (Read 976 times)

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
on: March 07, 2024, 10:55:01 pm
Anyone try one of these on their EFI classic?
I have been thinking about changing the seat.  I was doing some searching for a bench seat and came across the low rider.  Then I found a guy on you tube that modified a new front bracket a and cut 2 coils out of the springs.
I tried a simple test. I just took off the springs and rode for about 6 miles over various roads.

I have to say I think I prefer this  seat position.  Just the small decrease in height does allow you to feel like you sitting in the bike instead of on top.
My knees felt more comfortable. They are elevated just a bit.  heel shifting seemed easier.

I think being in that lower position would feel a bit sportier.

I know it says you can't use the rack or pillion. I am sure I can find someone who will modify the longer arms to be able to attach them to spring mounts.

Needless to say this.may be my next purchase and project.

https://youtu.be/XzEOtKccVlg?si=zxE5k9oUTOIDeyR-
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:18 am
Ok just saw this in their info section. Since I'm a cheap old man cheap I think I will try this first. If it works out then no need to worry about the rack or pillion. Sweet!

https://youtu.be/Lp1E6lIs4Ew?si=urjF2f9wej6HnkcJ
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 12:30:49 am by Silverback »

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 12:13:07 am
The low seat tends to make you sit further back on the bike.
Off route, recalculate?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 12:31:23 am
Nice how do you like it?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 12:02:03 pm
Nice how do you like it?
Not as comfy as my other enfield.
I don't like the way it makes you sit further back than is comfortable.
Brown seat on my other Enfield is all day comfy.
https://ibb.co/0CxzCpw

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 12:34:04 pm by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 02:12:44 pm
Put the wrong link on,
Off route, recalculate?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 03:06:14 pm
Put the wrong link on,

What brand of seat is that and where did you get it?  I currently have the RE touring seat.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 04:52:13 pm
Silverback,  it's the standard sear base but it was reupholstered by a guy in Holland.  Don't think he used the oem foam as the seat is quite firm but it gets more comfortable as the day goes by. Real leather can be not so good if it rains though.
You can see it on page 17 of his archives.
https://millerseats.com/
Off route, recalculate?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 12:16:17 am
Wow his seats are nice.  I am sure they are a bit pricey.   I just finished the mod to my seat. May have to get a new set of springs as I think I could have left one coil.   I will be able to ride it around town and see how it feels. I find it's best to give any mod a few days of riding to really get a good feel.

I had an old seat pan and tried directly on the frame. I kind of like the feeling of the lower seat and further back.   

Time will tell. Nice pair of classics you have. 

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 06:54:59 am
Well everything I have research shows the low rider seat won't fit a 2012 c5 . Then I thought a lycet seat but I am getting same results.

Anyone have first hand info on either seat?

I also looked at the leather seats that look like it barely any contour padding on the seat pan but they dont look comfortable for long rides.

I guess I will start looking at the bench seats. Not a fan but I at least it's a permanent pillion for the wife.  Ugh?

Nurserynik

• Neophyte
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 07:00:30 am
I have a seat like the one Haggis posted.
I like that it sits you back but now I want something lower again.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 07:16:49 am

I was hoping that seat would work on my 2012 classic. There must be a way

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2024, 07:44:59 am
Found a lycet seat on hitchcocks.  Now I just need some feed back on its comfort level. Looks like a new post is needed. Lol...

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 05:04:43 am

The lower seat is very appealing.  I dont know why it cant be modified to fit the 2012 c5.

Can you or haggis post a pic of the underneath of the seat?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 03:24:21 pm
The standard base on the right and the low seat on the left.
The low seat does not have a front mount.
It uses a metal finger that fits into the square boss on the frame, that the original seat mounts bolts onto.
The Rear mounts are short solid legs instead of springs.

Off route, recalculate?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 06:00:29 pm
The standard base on the right and the low seat on the left.
The low seat does not have a front mount.
It uses a metal finger that fits into the square boss on the frame, that the original seat mounts bolts onto.
The Rear mounts are short solid legs instead of springs.

Thank you for the pics.  My frame looks just like yours.  I dont understand what the difference may be. I have an email to hitchcocks asking about this.   There seem to be several different part numbers or kit numbers for these seats. 1990636 and   1990703.  Head scratcher.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 09:45:41 pm
It may be down to the frame mounts?
Mine go in horizontally through the spring.
Some other years, especially the bullet have the mounts vertically.
The seat brackets have a 90° bend at the bottom.
Hitchcocks list the seat with three part numbers.
SEAT, SINGLE FOR C5 (UNSPRUNG) 2014 on (Can not be fitted with pillion seat) 1770007/1990636/1990703
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 09:53:12 pm by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 10:35:37 pm
 thank you for you assistance and time. Your input and pics have really helped.
Mine are set up per your pic.  I just gave the modified seat a trial run. My butt back have been spoiled by the springs.  I forgot what it was like to be bumped out of the seat.  Before with the fully sprung seat over same terrain it was a smooth up and down. No jarring to the back and bum. I would want to also add some spring travel to the low riser seat. Making seat mid way between sitting on the frame and fully sprung. This little rise was an eye opener.    The lycett seat may be a better choice.  Looks like the spingarn in the seat frame provide more cushion. I read where one person put double layer yoga mat under the seat cover.  I guess that would eliminate feeling the springs.  Plus I won't have to worry about the pillion fitment.

Too many choices lol....

Although I prefer the lower seat height I dont want to feel the road. Lol...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:38:09 pm by Silverback »

BB2023

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 08:02:35 am
I have this seat, don't know what it's called it came with the bike.

It's hard with a layer of gel. I have sat on the original seat and that is way more comfortable but the riding position on mine is very good for me.

MowgliB5

• Scooter
  • My Bullet is Mowgli…
Reply #19 on: March 22, 2024, 08:45:48 pm

Oooooooh that looks a bit uncomfortable to me, especially for any long period of riding!!!
But I may be wrong?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 02:49:42 pm

Haggis - I got a lower seat then I changed my bars. It's an after market part with a large pull back.

Another way to effectively lower saddle height, is to cut down the width. To do that you need to remove the cover and foam. Then you cut the seat pan to narrow it. Then modify the foam and cover and re-assemble the seat.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2024, 06:54:42 am
Compared to the 780 mm unmodified sea height of my old XJ900, all Enfield, even the 350 cc ones are quite high.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2024, 05:28:55 pm
I  modified my original seat to sit lower with shortened springs.  It fits and works with oem rack and pillion.  I used a simple U shape bracket to attach front of seat to frame. It allows for rotation.  Trimmed the back lip of the seat and reshaped seat pan to clear pillion attachment bars. Springs were cut to 3 coils.  It provides similar performance as original set up. Unfortunately the original seat foam begins to compress quickly and a little vibration in the crotch area.

I want to remove the cover amd foam material from my touring seat and put it in altered pan.  But I dont want to destroy the touring seat.  So I have a new set of original spings on order to do a comparison.   

I am still looking at a lycett seat.  I have to.measure as I think it would clear pillion attachments if lowered.

The lycett seat and lycett pillion looks like the user could modified much easier for height and comfort. I say this because the covers can be removed easily without destroying them.  User can add padding or remove suspension springs to adjust for comfort.

When looking at the oem seat pan I realized something.  It appears the seat is set up for user to seat more forward on the nose of the seat. I have been sitting with more if my weight towards the rear of the seat.  When you look underneath the touring seat the only area visible with the 3d material is towards the nose of the seat. 

Before I do anything else I am going to try sitting with.my weight more towards the nose of the seat with new springs.  It will cause me to sit super close to tank.   I know I am talking about an inch or so difference forward or aft but it makes a huge difference.

Lol.....I have too much time on my hands. I guess that what happens when you get old and retire.